How to set CFLAGS when building kernel

Tony3

I am trying to build the kernel with the standards scripts, but directly on my orange pi 5.

The build is stopping at some point because of a Warning issued by the compiler (this is the default behaviour for the compiler who does not tolerate any warning by default).

(Some functions in the C code are depreciated, thus a warning is issue)

How can I set the CFLAGS so that the kernel build takes it into account during compilation?

Thanks.

I keep getting this error

LD [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rockchip_wlan/rtl8852bu/8852bu.o
scripts/extract-cert.c: In function ‘display_openssl_errors’:
scripts/extract-cert.c:46:9: warning: ‘ERR_get_error_line’ is deprecated: Since OpenSSL 3.0 [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
   46 |         while ((e = ERR_get_error_line(&file, &line))) {

IS there a way to disable the warning becoming errors?

I tried   CONFIG_WERROR=no  but it has no effect.

My experience is that it's showing that warning when there is an error. So that warning is not the reason it stopped, I would think it's an error with 8852bu.c.

It seems that the error log messages is/will be better with the "next" branch

Set the options in the kernel configure menu:

./compile.sh BUILD_ONLY=kernel KERNEL_CONFIGURE=yes BOARD=orangepi5 BRANCH=legacy

Edited by royk

Indeed it was a problem with the 8852bu.c, but not only,  to compile successfully I had to deselect all the realtek wifi drivers, in particular the rtl8188eu.

I finally got my kernel generated...yeaahhhhh!

However, I can see the generated files in the output/debs directory, but not sure what to do with them?

I only want to install my new kernel, not u-boot, not the full image, how shall I proceed?

I read lots of things on the net:

run armbian-pdate

run dpkg -i *.debs

run dpkg -i newkernel.deb

How shall I proceed? How will the modules be updated? With the dpkg -i and only one deb file?

I have not found the official documentation from armbian.doc about what to do after the build finished, did I miss something?

Thanks again.

4 часа назад, Tony3 сказал:

I have not found the official documentation

You have to transfer two files (linux-dtb*linux-image*) to the system on the device. It can be mc & ssh or just write them to the home directory on the sd card from which the device is loaded.

Sorry. I didn't see that build directly on the device.

If the build was done using the scripts of the Armbian build system, then just install two packages

using the "dpkg -i linux-dtb-*.deb linux-image-*.deb " command.

Edited by going
Fixed

I've seen there is a commit on the GitHub about the WiFi adapters, perhaps they will compile after updating your git directory. To install the kernel you could type sudo apt install ./*.deb but sometimes won't "re" install as it's the same version, which you could force however. Usually I do sudo dpkg -i *.deb

@going Few questions, why do you need to transfer these files? As backup before you do a second compile? 

Isn't it necessary to install the source when they got patched? With mc you mean nc?

27 минут назад, royk сказал:

Few questions, why do you need to transfer these files?

I am collecting packages in a virtual machine.
The virtual machine and the running device are on a local network. I have ssh access to both.

mc