"Official" LCD screen on OP5B with Armbian?

MisterC707

I have a 5B and it came in a kit with the 10.1" touchscreen because I wanted to try to do a kiosk.

I used Armbian Lunar rolling to get the OS installed on the emmc but I haven't been able to get the touchscreen working.

It uses a breakout board to split the LCD2 connector into two connections on the display (I'm assuming one is touch and one is display) and when it's all plugged together, nothing happens.

I've tried enabling and disabling both orangepi5lcd dtds and it doesn't help.

When I do a dmesg (regardless of the screen being attached) I have Goodix i2c error for touchscreen@14

I've been doing Rockchip SBCs for a while but never used a mipi display on them before.

Thanks!

Update:

The "OrangePi OS" didn't bear fruit (sorry) but I tried their Ubuntu Jammy image (which is a "rebranding" of Armbian, complete with "orangepi-confiig" instead of "armbian-config") and that worked with the panel.

Their LCD1 and LCD2 overlays are the same files as Armbian uses but their rk3588s-orangepi-5b dtd was different so I coped their kernel and dtd over and was able to get LCD working on my lunar installation but the wifi isn't working so I need to dig into that.

On the Armbian kernel the following message appears a few times in dmesg:

dw-mipi-dsi2 fde30000.dsi: [drm:dw_mipi_dsi2_bind] *ERROR* Failed to find panel or bridge: -517

On the OrangePi kernel that message appears once but then a second message establishing the connection to the LCD is logged and it turns on.

Is there any additional information/debugging I can provide?

Thakns

I installed lunar and it was working withwifi but not the LCD

Using the kernel and dtd from OrangePi's Ubuntu image on the same lunar installation enabled the LCDs but disabled the Wireless. 

[EDIT] I just realized I hadn't copied the module tree over, so right now, with Armbian's dtd, and orange pi's kernel and modules, it works just fine.

Also the dmesg lines that show when the panel works:

[   10.613247] rockchip-drm display-subsystem: bound fde30000.dsi (ops 0xffffffc0111da7f0)
[   11.236857] dw-mipi-dsi2 fde30000.dsi: [drm:dw_mipi_dsi2_encoder_enable] final DSI-Link bandwidth: 403300 x 4 Kbps

Thanks

-Scott

Edited by MisterC707
got wireless working, so LCD working or not is the only issue

Sorry one more comment.

I noticed that on the Orangepi image, touch screen response is good but on Armbian, unless you keep the display on portrait mode, the touch response is off by whatever rotation you have set, so if youre landscape, moving your finger up will move the pointer left, etc.

I did some digging and OPI Ubuntu uses wayland while Armbian uses Xorg X11.  Looks like I need to figure out the tweeks for the touchscreen orientation in Xinput.

Hello @Efe Çetin I was able to compile that branch and it works with the LCD screen now.

I did have to copy the rk3588s-orangepi-5b.dtb from my old installation because the rk3588s-orangepi-5.dtb that was compiled from that kernel tree didn't see the onboard emmc.

I am having an issue (that I had before with the Orangepi provided kernel and gnome/wayland on armbian but not on OrangePI Ubuntu) where the touchscreen stops responding after you open any application.  I'll comb through the logs and see what I can find as it doesn't appear to be a kernel issue so far.  (UPDATE: it seems to work properly if I restart gdm3 so I'm guessing it's my cobbled together system, I'll probably start from scratch this weekend to make sure none of my cruft is causing problems)

thanks

-S

Edited by MisterC707
update touchscreen issue

Hi all,

Currently running into this very issue with my Orange Pi 5 and the Joshua Ubuntu. Touchscreen works, but due to its portrait nature the image is properly displayed but the touchscreen matrix is rotated 90 to the left. I have tried every possible solution I came across from udev rules, to xinput matrix coordinates, in installing Weston and running calibration. Nothing made any difference. 

I stumbled on Ambian and this thread hoping for a solution. I figured before I rip out Ubuntu, I'd ask here. Does Armbian simply work now? Do I need to modify the kernel? Just want to know what steps I need to take to get going with this.

Thanks!

Edited by AndyR

If this is an issue at kernel level my best guess is that both Armbian and Spooky's image sharing this issue since kernel bases are very close.

However you how it often is in life: There is only one way to find out :)