Orange Pi Plus 2E Mali GPU support

carsonip

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I just got a Orange Pi plus 2E. The specs are nice and the price is competitive. However, I don't seem to find an image with gpu working well. No hardware acceleration available. This means I cannot use chrome properly / watch videos / play web games with WebGL.

From armbian website / logs: 

• Mali OpenGL ES does not work on H3 boards with 2GB RAM (Orange Pi Plus 2, Orange Pi Plus 2e)

Any idea when will the Mali driver work on 2GB RAM models? The OPi is nowhere near usable right now. Thanks!

This means I cannot use chrome properly / watch videos / play web games with WebGL.

Mali driver is generally usable only for certain offline games, benchmark rotating 3D objects and KODI menu. There is no acceleration with Chrome whatsoever on any of supported boards.

Playing video works just fine, out of the box on desktop images.

Two days ago we changed MALI drivers and this might even be fixed. Haven't done tests on 2GB models yet.

Mali driver is generally usable only for certain offline games, benchmark rotating 3D objects and KODI menu. There is no acceleration with Chrome whatsoever on any of supported boards.

Playing video works just fine, out of the box on desktop images.

Two days ago we changed MALI drivers and this might even be fixed. Haven't done tests on 2GB models yet.

First, thanks Igor for the replying so quickly and contributing so much. Really appreciate that.

Hope the patch would help. Will there be a new armbian build after testing the patch? Please keep me updated on this. Many thanks!

Hope the patch would help. Will there be a new armbian build after testing the patch? Please keep me updated on this. Many thanks!

Testing branch / images are already updated, but you need to look around forum a little bit.

Testing branch / images are already updated, but you need to look around forum a little bit.

I have built my own image and the mali driver works smoothly in the OS. A score of 100+ in glmark2-es2, not bad. (Do I get to test the new patch when I build my own image?)

However, it is still problematic on the browser side. Both firefox and chromium do not work well in terms of hardware acceleration and WebGL. I got the exact same errors as shown in this thread:

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/814-hardware-acceleration-in-chromium-on-opi-pch3/

What is the current version of mali driver in the source? I suppose it is r3p0 or r4p0, right? The thread says we need at least r4p1. Not sure if it's true tho.

I'm a newbie and whatever I said may not make sense. Feel free to correct me. Please let me know how I can help (I do not have the skills / experience in these low level stuff tho). Thanks.

What is the current version of mali driver in the source? I suppose it is r3p0 or r4p0, right? The thread says we need at least r4p1. Not sure if it's true tho.

Current version is r3p0. It may be possible to move to r6p0, but it will require patching and testing kernel module part, so this is low priority and probably won't be done anytime soon.

Current version is r3p0. It may be possible to move to r6p0, but it will require patching and testing kernel module part, so this is low priority and probably won't be done anytime soon.

It is sad to know. Are there any simple workarounds for now?

Please keep me updated on this. Thanks!