RockPi S Ethernet 10mbps not working

dg4gg8cb9s

Hello!

I’m trying to get a RockPi S connected by a slow ethernet connection with 10mbps (half or full duplex) but it doesn’t seem to work. If I test with a 100mbps connection, everything works fine and as expected.
Using 10mbps, it seems to look fine, e.g. ethtool shows a link with 10mpbs, advertised modes look fine but the RockPi S doesn’t even retrieve an IP via DHCP. If configuring a static IP, no ping to any address beside the own IP address is possible.
I’m using latest debian-based armbian 23.8.1 stable and performed apt-get update & upgrade.

Anyone encountered the same problem and has some hints?
Unfortunately I’m not a linux pro so unfortunately I’m a bit stuck but I’m happy to provide any missing information or execute commands on the RockPi S and post the results here.

Cheers

I encountered the same issue.

Armbian 23.8.1 Bullseye with Linux 6.1.50-current-rockchip64

Armbian 23.02.2 Buster with Linux 5.15.93-rockchip64

Working fine:

Armbian 21.08.1 Bullseye with Linux 5.10.60-rockchip64

Armbian 21.08.1 Buster with Linux 5.10.60-rockchip64

using this to test:

ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full autoneg on

Edited by SUNDraK

Hi,
great to know that it is obviously not a hardware problem with my board.
How to proceed with this now? I'm quite new to armbian and not very familiar with Linux at all, so I'm willing to support solving the problem but I don't know what to do next. Any help or hint is greatly appreciated. 🙂

Hi,

I noticed, that the bug has been fixed, many thanks and kudos to @brentr! 😃

I'm uncertain how to proceed now. Just looking at the dates, I suppose that the fix is not included in the current stable release as the release is from November and the fix has been merged end of December.

Do I need to use the rolling image with the current and not the edge kernel in order to get 10MBit running again?

Or is there any other way to include the fix in the current stable release?

Cheers

4 hours ago, SteeMan said:

All community maintained boards, like this one, only get rolling releases going forward.

Rockpi S was reverted back to supported as @brentr agreed to maintain it further. Latest Images at the download page https://www.armbian.com/rockpi-s/ should have this fix in, while kernel updates were not pushed to repository yet. For any kernel family.