Orange pi3b panfrost support

drock

I have been trying to research this and have come up a bit blank. I am trying to figure out if I need to do anything special to enable panfrost. I have built a jammy and bookworm image using the stable kernel. Both boot fine, but are both using llvmpipe. It does look like its trying to use panfrost. Inside of dmesg:

[   20.098662] panfrost fde60000.gpu: clock rate = 594000000
[   20.098685] panfrost fde60000.gpu: bus_clock rate = 500000000
[   20.098820] panfrost fde60000.gpu: Looking up mali-supply from device tree
[   20.099041] panfrost fde60000.gpu: _of_add_opp_table_v2: no supported OPPs
[   20.099287] panfrost fde60000.gpu: devfreq init failed -2
[   20.099301] panfrost fde60000.gpu: Fatal error during GPU init
[   20.099458] panfrost: probe of fde60000.gpu failed with error -2

I tried building with a newer kernel, but was having issues on boot. I haven't dug into that further yet. Anyone have any thoughts or advise?

Thanks

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

i have the same problem, i' m trying to build a legacy kernel + panfrost to use the orange pi 3b for multimedia server and other stuff, but the edge kernel works fine with panfrost and wayland ( i think that i need to use the old one to use hw codec properly )

@drock please sir can you share your images with gpu enabled, I am on OrangePi 3b v2.1 as well having same issues

orangepi@orangepi3b:~$ sudo dmesg | grep -i mali
[sudo] password for orangepi:
[    9.312425] mali fde60000.gpu: Kernel DDK version g18p0-01eac0
[    9.312464] mali fde60000.gpu: IRQ JOB not found
[    9.312552] mali fde60000.gpu: IRQ MMU not found
[    9.312607] mali fde60000.gpu: IRQ GPU not found
[    9.312658] mali fde60000.gpu: Insufficient register space, will override to the required size
[    9.312699] mali fde60000.gpu: Register window unavailable
[    9.312716] mali fde60000.gpu: Failed to map registers
[    9.312733] mali fde60000.gpu: Register map failed error = -5
[    9.312749] mali fde60000.gpu: Device initialization failed
[    9.313151] mali: probe of fde60000.gpu failed with error -5
[    9.346431] I : [File] : drivers/gpu/arm/mali400/mali/linux/mali_kernel_linux.c; [Line] : 406; [Func] : mali_module_init(); svn_rev_string_from_arm of this mali_ko is '', rk_ko_ver is '5', built at '18:53:42', on 'Aug  2 2024'.
[    9.347183] Mali:
[    9.347190] Mali device driver loaded
[   10.007994] panfrost fde60000.gpu: Looking up mali-supply from device tree

18 minutes ago, ioncube said:

problems

Try to build Noble with EDGE 6.10.y kernel - I think all this already works.

Legacy kernel, especially 5.10.y, is too broken in many aspects and will never be updated = waste of time.

5 hours ago, ioncube said:

I downloaded the official community release of Armbian.

I suggested you something entirely different based on knowledge and experience. Not sure that it will work, but success ratio is much bigger.

What Does Community Support Mean?

Community maintained boards are not officially supported by the Armbian project. These boards are maintained (or not maintained) by community members (like you). These builds are provided by the Armbian project as a service to the community. They are automatically generated and untested!

Maintaining custom devices is extremely costly and this level of support from your side (for whole project) is not sufficient (1/100 of needed for current level of work) for proper maintenance or R&D. For every USD of donation, we need to find 500-1000, often a lot more, from our own pockets, do it for free, to keep those devices operational. At one point we need to cut devices off to random community maintenance. Community help exists, yes, but it is small and fragile. You can't or don't want to support us financially? No problem. There are volunteering positions. If they are not filled, project struggles - if project struggle, we can't address common nor egoistic technical issues. If you help to refactor documentation, for example, and have some luck, you can get a high end workstation from us. See? Your contribution to common work is essential, not telling us what is wrong. We know for many many problems, but we can't resolve them. We lack people / resources / your support to fight them.

Still, we provide images and they might work good to some degree. If they break, yes, you are welcome to report it here, but don't expect solutions. Team is overloaded with, very limited, officially supported hardware. And this board is not among. I would naturally like to help you with this problem, but I (or people that helps) could realistically look into this once mid next year as there are many other unresolved problems waiting in the list. You probably expect this to be fixed "yesterday" ... impossible, even if you start to respect our time and buy at least one hour at this level. No you will not. Why would you?

There is another workaround / hint - use older images from archive. Some will work, but yes, update will kill them - don't update. Remember, not even officially supported hardware has professional level of support. Only better.

I think you downloaded an image with kernel 6.1.75 (Armbian_community_24.8.0-trunk.495_Orangepi3b_noble_vendor_6.1.75_gnome_desktop.img.xz) and Igor's indication was to download an image with kernel 6.10 edge (Armbian_community_24.8.0-trunk.495_Orangepi3b_noble_edge_6.10.2_gnome_desktop.img.xz). You could try that option and tell us how it went. I also have orangepi3b v2.1. Thanks

@Giordano Sologuren Thank God I found someone with similar v2.1 device.

I searched the source code while building Armbian myself on WIN10 WSL2 & I cannot find any reference file specific to v2 for instance Using find . | grep commands I see there is no orangepi3v-v2.dtb file

Secondly I cannot find option to make 5.1.x vendor kernel

Screenshot_7.png

@ioncube  I think you mean legacy 5.10 (not 5.1). 

The code to build legacy 5.10 is still there (https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/b8dbe607e59a9eb23c70f129b60e2df2b08cdb01/config/sources/families/rk35xx.conf#L19-L27)

But as igor commented above:

On 8/5/2024 at 3:01 PM, Igor said:

Legacy kernel, especially 5.10.y, is too broken in many aspects and will never be updated = waste of time.

So it is unmaintained and may no longer build.

To use the legacy branch you need to specify it on the command line:  BRANCH=legacy

@SteeMan thanks

@Giordano Sologuren thanks for instructing this chemical engineer. I tested the image & yes it works. Panfrost is there by default. However, Bluetooth doesn't work (which is a primary requirement). As an enginner I have to connect & manipulate multiple field instruments that is why BT is necessary 

I am happy though 3.5mm audio out works (HDMI  audio out doesn't but its not my focus)

After apt update / upgrade / reboot I am attaching mu UART serial log in hopes someone can provide feedback on the BT issue. I am ready to do debugging from my side. Errors at the end pop up when I am trying to enable BT via radio button of gnome interface

orangepi3b login: [  342.243982] sdiohal err:wait scan card time out
[  345.319840] WCN_ERR: wait SDIO rescan card time out
[  345.320320] WCN_ERR: chip power on fail
[  345.320686] sdiohal err:sdiohal_runtime_put line 1756 not have card

Armbian_community_24.8.0-trunk.495_Orangepi3b_noble_edge_6.10.2_gnome_putty.log