Data Acquisition and processing on Orange Pi Zero

Nbird

Hi,

I receive 16 bytes every 0.5 seconds. This should be saved as text or as MySQL table data.

Need to compare with all existing records , process and display it on 3.5 inch TFT LCD on SPI ( Notro fbtft ) and also save to SD Card . It should be broadcasted to a fixed Ip using TCPIP.

Can I use Orange Pi Zero with 512MB Ram ?

Can I partition Ram as RAMFS OR TMPFS to do all read only tasks thus save time for slow SD CARD writes ?

Can I first copy boot files and my app,tables to Ram and start from Ram ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Need to compare with all existing records

This looks like a bottleneck. Define "all".

16 bytes every half second will fill up 512 MB RAM in a approx. half a year. Not taking into account overhead, compression, other processes that use RAM.

You should plan for a maximum measurement duration significantly lower than that. And check the performance of your DAQ system for the end of the planned measurement period, i.e. with a large set of simulated data already in memory.

Hi Newbie,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Idea is to save the AQ logs to SD card of Pi-Zero.

Part of RAM is planned to be used as RAMFS where the application resides and gets executed from there. ( say 128MB) . This may be needed to minimise the SDIO read/write and give max time to SD ONLY to save AQ logs.

The Balance RAM ( 512-128) = 384MB be used as Program area.

The questions are:

a. Can the Kernel and application be transferred to RAMFS on first boot ?

b. If yes or No, what can be transferred to RAMFS to give minimum load to SDIO ( SD card) to avoid any crashes due to excessive resources usage.

Is there any other way that can be thought of ?

Thanks

Nbird

a and b are already optimised to more or less full degree, we have 10 minutes fs commit time by default - fstab: commit=600. Further put logs to tmpfs - ram, we used to have this by default too, but since we upgraded to systemd, we would need to rewrite scripting ...