Setting Up Mayastor on a Microk8s Cluster with RockPi 4 and Rock 5B: Seeking Solutions for Missing linux-modules-extra.

l080

Hi there,

I'm setting up microk8s cluster on:
2 x RockPi 4A (Linux 6.1.63-current-rockchip64)
2 x Rock 5 B (Linux 5.10.160-legacy-rk35xx)

Installing microk8s and connecting cluster went without issue. My next step was to install https://microk8s.io/docs/addon-mayastor in order to create distributed volume between my nodes.

The problem is that mayastor require linux-modules-extra which is not build for my kernel versions.

sudo apt install -y linux-modules-extra-$(uname -r)

E: Unable to locate package linux-modules-extra-6.1.63-current-rockchip64
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-modules-extra-6.1.63-current-rockchip64'

sudo modprobe nvme_tcp echo 'nvme-tcp' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules-load.d/microk8s-mayastor.conf

modprobe: FATAL: Module nvme_tcp not found in directory /lib/modules/6.1.63-current-rockchip64

I tried few different kernels but this module is not present there as well.

My question is:

Is there something what I can do?

Is it possible to build this module for 6.1.63-current-rockchip64 or any other available kernel version?  If yes, how can I do it? Where to find instruction?

Thanks 🙏

You would need to use the Armbian build tool to build a custom kernel with the missing modules such as tcp-nvme.   

The Linux-modules-extras won't be an option in Armbian because it's only to supplement a specific corresponding Debian official kernel.