CSC Armbian for RK322x TV box boards

jock

16 hours ago, Benedito Portela said:

RaptorSDS, I don't need wifi! When exit of rk3228-config, it show this menseger: " Device tree overlays enabled: emmc led-conf1
Wifi chip 02d0:4334 has been detected, but currently it is unsupported "! I saw the post and didn't know of Led and WiFi relation, is did good know thank you!

Probably your board is misconfigured with led-conf1, which are chiptrip brands.

The two r329q boards should go with led-conf2 (rk322x-config tells you which led-conf to use with which board):

image.png.7900938340d2629615f3edddcd390a02.png

The last board, which is unknown yet, perhaps may benefit from led-conf7 (R29), but your mileage may vary.

Anyway, getting wifi properly detected with the right led-conf:

1) helps us to put your board in the list

2) prevents possible malfunction of other hardware

If you pay attention (and please do!) to the Important paragraph in the above screen, it is clearly stated what is the purpose of the led/gpio configurations and what are the benefits of selecting the right one.

As @RaptorSDS said, your wifi chip is a broadcom 4334, but there are several variants around so perhaps the driver is not able to correctly make it work; anyway if you get the ID of the chip in rk322x-config (as you already do), then you should be ok with the led/gpio configuration

vor 38 Minuten schrieb occams razor:

Do any of you know of an easy way to mount a raw android flash image in Windows?   I would like to look at the emmc multitool backup image.  Thanks.

i  know 3 ways

first sometimes 7zip can read img and iso

secound tools like ext4win or somthing but than the img / iso has to be mound as CD-ROM or with windows tools as HDD like a wim or vhd

third use of Windows Subsystem for Linux , install Debian or Ubuntu and use linux with all its tools

i  know 3 ways

first sometimes 7zip can read img and iso

secound tools like ext4win or somthing but than the img / iso has to be mound as CD-ROM or with windows tools as HDD like a wim or vhd

third use of Windows Subsystem for Linux , install Debian or Ubuntu and use linux with all its tools

@RaptorSDS I was having trouble opening the multitool backup.  I found another tool called "RKDUMPER" which seems to have made a backup that is readable with 7-zip.  I will update my original post with a link to this new backup which seems to be easier to view.

Edited by occams razor

20 hours ago, Benedito Portela said:

Hi Joke, the rk3228-config in this version, don't have the important paragraph and just two options, a guess because, i use the Armbian 21.02.1 Debian Buster Legacy 4.4.194! The chip is a 339S0205, wifi iphone 5 module, maybe reused from scrap!

Indeed it is a scrap chip, tvboxes are often made of scrap parts; so far I have seen that chip on other boxes with rk3318, this is the first time that wifi chip appears on a box with rk322x.

By the way, the image you are using is ancient!

You can take a newer image with legacy 4.4 kernel here (suitable for boards with NAND) and you can should use a recent mainline kernel image from here for the box with eMCP.

Note that the mainline kernel image will also work flawlessy on boards with NAND, just the NAND flash won't be available and you will have to use an external SDcard for those boxes.

@Benedito Portela Your board is having eMMC and if you having one backup try deleting the internal flash and then is shall loading the bootloader from the SD-card and armbian OK from SD-card and also new kernels. If you is getting it working you can write the bootloader to the eMMC with multi tool or with other programs.

I was not getting it working with the standard bootloader but i have some in my git that was working OK on my board but its not identical.

If getting current up and running first run RK-Tools and setting LED 2 or 3 and low CPU speed befor start doing updates and more configs and rebooting so its being stable.

On 8/17/2023 at 5:54 PM, ilmich said:

Hi @n3o, are you using Windows? Linux ? OpenBSD? binary or compiled rkflashtool?

This is because

* on Linux maybe you don't have the right USB permission. You can switch to the super user account (super easy), or write an udev rule that chmod the USB node(easy if you know what are you doing)

* my rkflashtool uses libusb which on Windows needs the generic USB driver called WinUsb. With Windows 7 you need to right-click and install this file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ilmich/rkflashtool/master/rockwinusb.inf. With Windows > 7 there is no need to install a driver, but you need to associate the unknown device with the USB generic driver WinUsb (I'm not a Windows user so try starting reading this link https://github.com/libusb/libusb/wiki/Windows#user-content-How_to_use_libusb_on_Windows)

* there is a bug on Windows (fixed with the latest alpha version) with multiple USB devices connected. Try, if you can, to have only the box connected with USB.

About your experiments, you wrote a lot, but I'm sorry, I'm too lazy to read:).

So if I can give you some advice, format the internal storage and forget it. Write the Armbian version you like on the SD card and stop.
This is because in addition to having a few problems, sd cards with 64/128GB are cheap and for Linux use are better than the 'little' 8 GB of internal storage that you often find in our boxes.

Cheers

Michele

edit: rkflashtool is an external tool made with love by volunteers. Obviously, there is also the contribution of @jock and @fabiobassa, but for any problem with the tool, I ask you the courtesy of opening an issue here https://github.com/ilmich/rkflashtool/issues

thank You for the answer, but box isn't more detected both from windows that from from linux .... only led blue is turned on, last operation made from multitool was "install jump start on nand". What should I do?

On 8/20/2023 at 4:20 PM, MattWestB said:

@Benedito Portela Your board is having eMMC and if you having one backup try deleting the internal flash and then is shall loading the bootloader from the SD-card and armbian OK from SD-card and also new kernels. If you is getting it working you can write the bootloader to the eMMC with multi tool or with other programs.

Yes, this is exactly the way I suggest to take confidence with the system: erase the internal flash to zero (does not matter if NAND or eMMC) to remove any trace of Android; then use Armbian from sdcard to bring up the system, experiment with rk322x-config to setup the board correctly so, in case of mistake, just plug the sdcard in a PC and revert the error; install packages, services, reinstall armbian from scratch with another kernel or rootfs (Debian bullseye, bookworm, Ubuntu Jammy LTS, latest Ubuntu, etc...) and do all your own experiments on the sdcard.

When finally you notice that the base system is stable with the proper led-conf and you're happy with the software setup, transfer it to internal flash or install armbian on internal flash with multitool.

Also, IMHO, boards with NAND have much better use with external sdcard than internal flash, since NAND are supported only with ancient 4.4 kernel and they still are problematic. Keep them erased and live easier with external sdcard.

Hello,

Thank you for this amazing project. It truly revived this old TV Box from the dead.

Firstly, I want to share my experience with my my board (HK1 Mini), which might be useful to others.

Booting mainline kernel builds from SD card was not possible, but It booted successfully once flashed to eMMC. On the other hand, legacy booted from SD card just fine.

Bricked my board using build "Armbian_23.08.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_bookworm_current_6.1.39_minimal", but then recovered using original firmware, FactoryTool and MaskROM.

For my eMMC chip (Samsung KLMAG2GEAC-B002) I have posted the pins below to enter MaskROM mode.

Everything works on legacy build (Armbian_22.02.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_bullseye_legacy_4.4.194_minimal).

However, Ethernet and WiFi on newer kernel versions does not. The build I am using is "Armbian_23.5.1_Rk322x-box_bookworm_current_6.1.30".

This is where I'm stuck and ask for help.

This board uses the SSV6051 network chip and rk322x-config detects it correctly, but does not give me the option to select the driver like it did on legacy build.

I have tested all the LED configs, but none fix the issue on mainline, while the default config worked perfectly on legacy.

SSV6200 driver and NetworkManager throw a bunch of errors on startup.

Here I have attached the logs and DTS/DTB.  I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a look.

Tell me if the DTB is incorrect in any way because binwalk found multiple locations from the backup.

hk1mini.dtb

hk1mini.dts

armbian-hardware-monitor.log

Thank you!

---

HK1 Mini Board (RK3229-D4-V02)

Spoiler

1.thumb.jpg.e9fea0a406a3057c09a3df4a4b94b113.jpg2.thumb.jpg.ae2d819132be1c204867ec0d79284a42.jpg

MaskROM pins for Samsung KLMAG2GEAC-B002 (or B001 - the last number is unclear)

Spoiler

KLMAG2GEAC-B002_MASKROM-e.thumb.jpg.708290d6bbbb207aba2c371978145cc7.jpg

19 hours ago, RaptorSDS said:

yes start mutlitool and erase nand

ok, finally I have loaded the image from sdcard ....during the configuration the numericpad was not active so instead to set zsh shell it has setted bash shell (I think it has associate each key pressed to number 1 choose "Bash"). So first question is: how can I set zsh shell?

after that it has booted to armbian and running "sudo rk322x-config" it's showed a menu to choose between rk3228A, rk3228B and rk3229 ... what's should I choose?

edit: from my previous log here https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12656-csc-armbian-for-rk322x-tv-boxes/?do=findComment&comment=169159I have found that is rk3229, now I should find ram frequencies value ...in the log is written 500 Mhz, in the menù there are ddr3-528 Mhz, ddr3-660 mHZ and ddr3-800 Mhz ... my hardware support 660 Mhz? or it's best choose 528 Mhz?

Edited by n3o

after set ddr3-528 mhz, as led rk229 mxq pro and as wifi ssv6051p and reboot, the system no more boot ... but monitor this time don't go in standby-mode

restart mode doesn't work 

even with standard turn on mode sometimes nothing happen... boot is ok, monitor remain black but doesn't go to standby mode but system doesn't boot.

Should I made a new log from UART?

I have made apt get update and apt get-upgrade

Edited by n3o

vor 6 Stunden schrieb n3o:

edit: from my previous log here https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12656-csc-armbian-for-rk322x-tv-boxes/?do=findComment&comment=169159I have found that is rk3229, now I should find ram frequencies value ...in the log is written 500 Mhz, in the menù there are ddr3-528 Mhz, ddr3-660 mHZ and ddr3-800 Mhz ... my hardware support 660 Mhz? or it's best choose 528 Mhz?

vor 5 Stunden schrieb n3o:

after set ddr3-528 mhz, as led rk229 mxq pro and as wifi ssv6051p and reboot, the system no more boot ... but monitor this time don't go in standby-mode

restart mode doesn't work 

even with standard turn on mode sometimes nothing happen... boot is ok, monitor remain black but doesn't go to standby mode but system doesn't boot.

Should I made a new log from UART?

I have made apt get update and apt get-upgrade

easy boy , you have now 3 topic or not 

does it boot or not ?

UART Log is everytime welcome , but when UART work its boot and running (or at least the bootloader )

yes log show maybe 500mhz but i thing that simply the easy fallback to be compatible to all box and not your box -> do you get Armbian on SD-Card boot ? than you can try all settings till stable one is found

53 minutes ago, RaptorSDS said:

does it boot or not ?

sometimes boot correctly until desktop, other times no. (but , compared to other days, monitor doesn't go in energy saver mode).

it's possible write actual sd image to nand?

24 minutes ago, RaptorSDS said:

NAND only with ARMBIAN with Kernel 4.4 =legacy

please try first some setting from rk322x-config , from SD-Card till you found stable ones

except reboot not worked and some boot fails, with previous setting system is stable.

A couple of hours ago I have flashed multiboot, load multiboot one time on the box, copy the legacy image and finally I can boot armbian from Nand. But reboot issue still remain, so I think that the last thing to do is update bootloader. But I don't know if pc still detect box

Edited by n3o

On 8/22/2023 at 8:19 PM, catzilla said:

Booting mainline kernel builds from SD card was not possible,

Impossibile, perhaps you did not follow the instructions correctly (ie: erase the internal eMMC first)

On 8/22/2023 at 8:19 PM, catzilla said:

Everything works on legacy build (Armbian_22.02.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_bullseye_legacy_4.4.194_minimal).

However, Ethernet and WiFi on newer kernel versions does not. The build I am using is "Armbian_23.5.1_Rk322x-box_bookworm_current_6.1.30".

This is where I'm stuck and ask for help.

This board uses the SSV6051 network chip and rk322x-config detects it correctly, but does not give me the option to select the driver like it did on legacy build.

I have tested all the LED configs, but none fix the issue on mainline, while the default config worked perfectly on legacy.

SSV6200 driver and NetworkManager throw a bunch of errors on startup.

ssv6051 driver is crap, in your particular case for some reason is not able to detect correctly the chip version and indefies it as ssv6051q, instead it is ssv6051p, but I don't know the reason.

For the ethernet part, it usually just works in the uttermost majority of situations, there has never been the need to do adjustments on any board, so it sounds strange that on yours it does not work.

4 hours ago, jock said:

in your particular case for some reason is not able to detect correctly the chip version and indefies it as ssv6051q, instead it is ssv6051p

I explored the code a little and found some constants and a configuration file setting for forcing the chip model

#define SSV6051Q_P1 0x00000000
#define SSV6051Q_P2 0x70000000
#define SSV6051Z 0x71000000
#define SSV6051Q 0x73000000
#define SSV6051P 0x75000000

I added this line to /usr/lib/firmware/ssv6051-wifi.cfg

force_chip_identity = 0x75000000

And well, now it is forced and is using the "correct" settings, yet the same errors are logged in dmesg. I guess this is a lost cause since the driver doesn't work.

Is legacy using a different driver?

armbian-hardware-monitor.log

EDIT:

Weirdly, NetworkManager mostly crashes on startup, but sometimes it doesn't. I'm just wondering if this could be part of the reason why it doesn't work and why ethernet didn't work either.

Edited by catzilla

37 minutes ago, catzilla said:

Weirdly, NetworkManager mostly crashes on startup, but sometimes it doesn't. I'm just wondering if this could be part of the reason why it doesn't work and why ethernet didn't work either.

Indeed if network manager does not work, the ethernet won't get an IP automatically. Perhaps the ssv6051 driver makes the network manager crash? (you may try to blacklist the driver).

The ssv6051 driver is the same as legacy, but some things have been necessarily changed to work on mainline kernel. In your case, it is not just a problem of the detection of the chip, but there is some kind of communication issue because the driver can't read the efuse from the chip (that, in fact, is the reason of the bad detection).

3 minutes ago, jock said:

there is some kind of communication issue

Well the main LED also continues to blink no matter the config I select, while on legacy it used to turn off with the default one. I wish I knew more about how to read the DTB to make my own config.

And yes ethernet worked once NetworkManager didn't crash.

4 minutes ago, catzilla said:

Well the main LED also continues to blink no matter the config I select, while on legacy it used to turn off with the default one. I wish I knew more about how to read the DTB to make my own config.

Because you have to change it in /sys/class/leds/working with the behaviour you'd like

Just now, jock said:

Because you have to change it in /sys/class/leds/working with the behaviour you'd like

Ah okay, well it's still unfortunate wifi won't work. Could you point me to some resources on how to debug such communication issue? I don't have any other ideas other than fiddling with the code itself, looking where it fails exactly.

@RaptorSDS I have linked UART and happen very strange things.

First scenario: box boot fine, armbian desktop is showed, I reboot and this time monitor goes to standby mode (I can check this because when it's go to standby mode the monitor led is orange while when box send signal , also black screen, led is blue).

This is the log that I can get from UART:

Spoiler

DDR Version V1.06 20170902_dbg
In
300MHz
DDR3
Bus Width=16 Col=11 Bank=8 Row=15 CS=1 Die Bus-Width=16 Size=1024MB
mach:2
OUT
Boot1 Release Time: Nov 27 2017 10:11:34, version: 2.47
ChipType = 0xc, 360
No.1 FLASH ID:2c 64 44 32 a5 0
ECC:60
SdmmcInit=0 2
StorageInit ok = 487643
SecureMode = 0
micron RR 15 row=7e600,count 15,status=-1
ReadRetry pageadd=fcc00 ecc=3c err=ffffffff
Read pageadd=fcc00  ecc=3c err=ffffffff
spare: 0x0:0xd6d2510f,0x34bcb3a3,0x21d5d4e6,0x7907d36b,
micron RR 15 row=7e640,count 15,status=-1
ReadRetry pageadd=fcc40 ecc=3c err=ffffffff
Read pageadd=fcc40  ecc=3c err=ffffffff
spare: 0x0:0x7a338c7e,0xbd78c92f,0x328bb4a2,0xfecd0afc,
micron RR 15 row=7e680,count 15,status=-1
ReadRetry pageadd=fcc80 ecc=3c err=ffffffff
Read pageadd=fcc80  ecc=3c err=ffffffff
spare: 0x0:0x13e38eeb,0xf4880f8d,0x4544cb22,0x098700b7,
micron RR 15 row=130df,count 15,status=-1
ReadRetry pageadd=260df ecc=3c err=ffffffff
Read pageadd=260df  ecc=3c err=ffffffff
spare: 0x0:0xfa17164d,0xc9c35d5a,0x6f1a80e4,0x62192220,
micron RR 15 row=1311f,count 15,status=-1
ReadRetry pageadd=2611f ecc=3c err=ffffffff
Read pageadd=2611f  ecc=3c err=ffffffff
spare: 0x0:0xe47da6f2,0xe47da6f2,0xe47da6f2,0xe47da6f2,
micron RR 15 row=1315f,count 15,status=-1
ReadRetry pageadd=2615f ecc=3c err=ffffffff
Read pageadd=2615f  ecc=3c err=ffffffff
spare: 0x0:0x3f0f7ddc,0x3f0f7ddc,0x3f0f7ddc,0x3f0f7ddc,
micron RR 15 row=5bb61,count 15,status=-1
ReadRetry pageadd=b7561 ecc=3c err=ffffffff
Read pageadd=b7561  ecc=3c err=ffffffff
spare: 0x0:0x3da37234,0x3da37234,0x3da37234,0x3da37234,
micron RR 15 row=5bba1,count 15,status=-1
ReadRetry pageadd=b75a1 ecc=3c err=ffffffff
Read pageadd=b75a1  ecc=3c err=ffffffff
spare: 0x0:0xdf453c61,0xdf453c61,0xdf453c61,0xdf453c61,
powerOn 1429574
Usb re Boot. 7429573
Usb re Boot. 13429575
Usb re Boot. 19429580
SoftReset
In
300MHz
DDR3
OUT
ChipType = 0xc, 362
SdmmcInit=0 2
StorageInit ok = 490494
SecureMode = 0
powerOn 1432406
Usb re Boot. 7432403
Usb re Boot. 13432406
Usb re Boot. 19432411
SoftReset
In
300MHz
DDR3
OUT
ChipType = 0xc, 358
SdmmcInit=0 2
StorageInit ok = 491468
SecureMode = 0
powerOn 1433408
Usb re Boot. 7433405
Usb re Boot. 13433407
Usb re Boot. 19433412
SoftReset
In
300MHz
DDR3
OUT
ChipType = 0xc, 362
SdmmcInit=0 2
StorageInit ok = 492451
SecureMode = 0
powerOn 1434383
Usb re Boot. 7434381
Usb re Boot. 13434385
Usb re Boot. 19434387
SoftReset
In
300MHz
DDR3
OUT
ChipType = 0xc, 361
SdmmcInit=0 2
StorageInit ok = 495254
SecureMode = 0
powerOn 1437187
Usb re Boot. 7437183
Usb re Boot. 13437188
Usb re Boot. 19437191
SoftReset
In
300MHz
DDR3
OUT
ChipType = 0xc, 362
SdmmcInit=0 2
StorageInit ok = 497172
SecureMode = 0
powerOn 1439098

scenario 2: I insert cha341 programmer usb into my pc, plugin the box cable and this time, differently from yesterday I'll get this screen monitor (there are 2 images because I have made 2 tried but after that images system stop there and no more happens) while yesterday led monitor was blue but screen was black

2023-08-24-19-08-48.jpg

2023-08-24-19-15-08.jpg

and the following log UART

Spoiler

In
300MHz
DDR3
OUT
ChipType = 0xc, 361
SdmmcInit=0 2
StorageInit ok = 498133
SecureMode = 0
Code check OK! theLoader 0x60200000, 537675
Code check OK! theLoader 0x68400000, 587288
Enter Trust OS
INF [0x0] TEE-CORE:init_primary_helper:377: Initializing (1.1.0-333-gc9d95d1 #2 2018年 08月 17日 星期五 03:32:22 UTC arm)

INF [0x0] TEE-CORE:init_primary_helper:378: Release version: 2.0

INF [0x0] TEE-CORE:init_primary_helper:379: Next entry point address: 0x60200000

INF [0x0] TEE-CORE:init_teecore:83: teecore inits done

p.s.: another thing. In the log is written

In
300MHz
DDR3

it's a value setted from bootloader in emergency mode or it's the standard frequency ?(in that case however I have the doubt about log with android image)