High temperatures after CSC 6.6 Kernel upgrade

After upgrading from the official version with kernel 6.1 to the CSC version with kernel 6.6 I noticed an increase in CPU temperature of as much as 10 degrees.

Is this normal? Honestly, seeing 52 degrees at idle worries me a bit

Came to the forum today because my Zero has been weird for the past week or two (I use it for streaming audio, and it's been freezing up) and I just noticed that it's super hot. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this, but I've changed nothing for over a year, other than running apt upgrade.

I think you have the same problem as me, let's wait for someone who can help us.

The alternative is to put the latest 6.1 kernel back and try to see if the temperatures return to normal.

If we solve this, we need to block kernel updates with the armbian config tool.

I await suggestions. any help is appreciated

Hmm, what is involved in downgrading the kernel; is that something that can be done via armbian-config?

BTW, when I say that it has been freezing up on me, what I mean is that audio streaming stops and it disappears from my router’s connected devices, but the green LED remains on. I don’t know if the system has actually frozen or if WiFi just crashed. 

Edited by mc510

47 minutes ago, mc510 said:

is that something that can be done via armbian-config?

Yes armbian-config has a section on selecting kernel versions as well as freezing kernel updates. 

Okay, I've downgraded to kernel 6.1 and seems like the problem has gone away. I'm happy to return to 6.6 to assist with any troubleshoot, but at least for now I've got a working system. (I've been streaming audio with mpd for a couple of hours; device is reporting 26C and feels warm but not crazy hot like before.)

Edited by mc510

13 часов назад, mc510 сказал:

device is reporting 26C and feels warm but not crazy hot like before

I'm wondering how you measure the temperature? The readings of armbianmonitor  and a finger touch?

If the finger on the radiator feels warm, it means that the temperature is in the range of 35-45 degrees Celsius.

At the same time, the readings in 26 C are false.

Yes, a finger touch tells me if it’s basically room temp, a little warm, pretty warm, very warm, or hot. The system message when I ssh in tells me a specific number in Celsius, but I take your point that if it feels a bit warm it must be more than 26C

Edited by mc510

2 hours ago, going said:

I tried to fix this situation. There are ready-made kernel packages here.

Can you check it out?

Just install the kernel package. The DTB package is not required.

You mean your kernel aims to fix the running-hot problem? Or the incorrect-temp-reporting problem?

I just download linux-image-edge-sunxi_6.4.14-Armbian.23.10_armhf.deb and "apt install" it?

Edited by mc510

While waiting to know something more about the 6.6 kernel of the current CSC version, I'm also thinking of going back to the latest 6.1 kernel.

The board is more responsive but without a heatsink with or without a fan the risk of thermal throttling is real in case of intense use of the CPU.

11 часов назад, mc510 сказал:

You mean your kernel aims to fix the running-hot problem? Or the incorrect-temp-reporting problem?

The problem with displaying the actual temperature was noticed a long time ago and I fixed it in this core for the A83T processor.
I did not notice any overheating problems during normal no-load operation.
You just need to check if this will work for the H3 processor.

You will be able to return to the 6.1 kernel in the same way if there are problems.

And then just delete it using apt.

09.04.2024 в 20:38, Khadas сказал:

After upgrading from the official version with kernel 6.1 to the CSC version with kernel 6.6 I noticed an increase in CPU temperature of as much as 10 degrees.

Is this normal? Honestly, seeing 52 degrees at idle worries me a bit

Is 52 degrees the real temperature?

How did you measure it?

What does htop say? armbianmonitor?

Unfortunately for the second time I found my home server blocked and this time the heat deformed the printed ABS case,

I decided that I will put the latest 6.1.53 kernel image starting from scratch with the installation and I will deactivate the kernel updates

4 hours ago, Khadas said:

Unfortunately for the second time I found my home server blocked and this time the heat deformed the printed ABS case,

I decided that I will put the latest 6.1.53 kernel image starting from scratch with the installation and I will deactivate the kernel updates

OG Zero has been doing just fine on community support since it stopped having official support, but I think we may be at the point where we will start to see the limitations of community support. If this overheating issue is a quirk specific to Orange Pi Zero, it may never get fixed. Or at least we may have to hope that it gets fixed in the mainline kernel, rather than in the Armbian image. Do you know if it's possible to switch to the nightly kernel as easily as you can switch to the legacy kernel?

nightly kernel?

I think you are talking about nightly releases that are not yet stable or tested.

Unfortunately I don't have time to test kernels and wait for any bugs.

Same problem for me, I tried everything because my OpiZero became really hot. I thought it was the SD card or another problem... How to change the kernel without reinstalling everything?

EDIT: sudo armbian-config > System settings > Other

Edited by RobArmbian

I just went off to look at the download page to see who is the maintainer for this board, and it's no longer listed at all. At least not the way it used to be, as Orange Pi Zero. There now is an entry for Orange Pi Zero+ (H5), Orange Pi Zero +2 H3, and Orange Pi Zero +2 H5. I've actually never heard of these boards before (but Orange Pi has such an absurdly large number of different boards, that's not surprising). Not sure if one of these images supports the OG Zero, or if Community Support has stopped.

Hi @SteeMan, is official support back for orange pi zero?

Not long ago the releases page clearly indicated CSC support but now I read standard support.

The kernel I had problems with was 6.6.16 and now I see 6.6.20 available, who knows if they have solved the temperature problem with the new kernel.

59 minutes ago, mc510 said:

It's a mystery as to why the download page has it categorized as Standard Support.

Because some features on website still has to be done manually. For which we don't have sufficient man power, org resources or coding resources to complete automation. If you are PHP / Python coder and want to contribute resolving this problem, PM.