Pi Prime - U-boot CRC after apt-get upgrade

fabioctba

Hi,

I performed an apt-get upgrade on my system, and it installed the 4.13 kernel. After the reboot, i started getting the message "bad CRC - using default environment". I spent the whole day reading many threads but still didn't manage to come with a solution. I tried the symlink to /boot/dtb/allwinner from the PC2 forum, but with no luck. I bought this board recently, it is my first board and i am very new to this, although i have decent Linux knowledge. Could you point out what i might have done wrong or if i'm missing something?

2 hours ago, fabioctba said:

Could you point out what i might have done wrong

You buyed the false board (sorry to be so direct). :P I can't point you to the right direction cause I don't own any H5 boards at the moment. But repeat what's written if you boot up the first time an experimental build (which is the case for every H5 board):

nightly.jpg.6775e4f6d96266f96cd5908ffc73c821.jpg
Experimental builds can break with every update, that's the reason why they're not recommended for end users. If you want best mainline support on allwinner boards you should have a look here. My recommendation (and that's a personal point of view) is a H3 board. Most headless stuff works on mainline and when not, you can try BSP kernel (3.4.113) to see if it works there.

Since you own the board now and probably won't buy a new one soon I would freeze kernel after first boot:

armbian-config --> Armbian --> Hold (to freeze kernel and board support packages). 

Bad CRC at u-boot is normal behaviour, unrelated to the development stage of H5 kernel.

2 hours ago, chwe said:

Since you own the board now and probably won't buy a new one soon I would freeze kernel after first boot:

armbian-config --> Armbian --> Hold (to freeze kernel and board support packages). 

This will be the best way to go for some time or learn how to fix things if they break on update and keep using the latest builds ...

10 hours ago, chwe said:

You buyed the false board (sorry to be so direct). :P

Found out the hard way,  lol! 

I bought a raspberry pi 3 too, i'm waiting for it to arrive. Gonna try to freeze the kernel package, i thought i could use the 4.13 kernel by upgrading it, since it has some features related to H5. Thank you very much for the help! 

2 minutes ago, fabioctba said:

Gonna try to freeze the kernel package, i thought i could use the 4.13 kernel by upgrading it, since it has some features related to H5.

All older H5 and A64 images will break on upgrade due to u-boot changes. In theory you can freeze the u-boot package manually and still upgrade to the 4.13-rc kernel if you want to for some reason, even though it doesn't have much new stuff apart from the better Ethernet driver.

I wouldn't say that you bought the wrong device - it depends on what did you buy it for.

1 hour ago, zador.blood.stained said:

it depends on what did you buy it for.

I need a working board to use as a media center, but that's probably gonna be the Raspberry Pi 3. As for this board, it can still be useful to some learning. I hope that in time we can use all of its potential. What bought me was the 2GB of RAM and the 64-bit CPU...

Just now, fabioctba said:

What bought me was the 2GB of RAM and the 64-bit CPU...

Software support is the most important thing, when looking for a new board ... if you want to use it :) There are boards out there which look good by the numbers / in theory but are useless because support level is bad and will most likely remain that way for ever.

Rpi3 is surely a better choice to run Kodi, but if you had chosen some H3 board than you could use it as a media center with Openelec quite decently.

This board should act well as a server when support level comes to the user level. Currently, it still has rough edges.