[solved]Orange pi PC 2 usb harddisk not shown in /dev/

comrade_bear

Thank your for  the good works to make these board run much better.

I have ARMBIAN 5.34.171116 install on opi pc2, what I try to archive is rather simple.

I can mount usb stick, but not usb hard disk, after plugin,  the disk (NS1068x controller) will turn on LED, but seems nothing happen in /dev/.

My knowledge can not help me beyond this point, Any help will be appreciated

8 minutes ago, chwe said:

How do you power your HDD when connecting to the OPi PC2?

If you power it through the SBC ist most probably a power issue... 

Yes, HD drain power from SBC, I'm using a 2.5" 1T disk, It was working flawlessly on raspberry pi2's USB ports. Any way to test  it? Thx.

17 minutes ago, chwe said:

Does it spin-up? How do you power your OPi PC2 (type of PSU)? 

I heard a click sound from the hard disk, so I think the mist for me is clear now, thank you very much,  I'm not quite sure why Raspberry pi can power up the HD, yet the orange pi pc 2 doesn't, it's connected to a 2.4A rating PSU.

8 hours ago, comrade_bear said:

thank you for the hint.

It is common with anything designed for developers/marketed to hobbyists.  I feel like this would have been common at old radio club meetings, where someone forgot to wire in an antenna...

In reality the board makers needs to include some of this education in the package if they are working this way, human nature does not include reading the FAQ when joining a forum.

3 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

It is common with anything designed for developers/marketed to hobbyists.  I feel like this would have been common at old radio club meetings, where someone forgot to wire in an antenna...

In reality the board makers needs to include some of this education in the package if they are working this way, human nature does not include reading the FAQ when joining a forum.

You are absolutely right, I think these kind of mistake is too common and counter productive. And I feel stupid to make one more.