Problems after last kernel update

pbies

Hello! I have problems with Banana Pi and for today - updated all packages, and I can't connect via SSH nor FTP to my Pi. I have not changed anything, but there is automatic script which dist-upgrades the whole system, it is running once a day.

Till 12.34pm CET everything was working fine - from logs, even I think till past 4pm I have connected via SSH to Pi, but then after kernel upgrade (seen note after logon) and reboot I can't access Pi in any way.

I've tried to see logs: connect SD card to laptop with Linux to check if there is any problem, but didn't found nothing special. I've also tried to attach HDMI monitor but no signal.

Seems that last upgrade has messed up the whole thing. Not working are: SSH, FTP, apache2. Red LED is on, green for SD card access is not blinking, LED for network is blinking from time to time. But router to which the Pi is attached does not see the Pi, LED on router is on, but from router menu it has no IP.

Seems that uImage file is missing, but after changing the files in /boot folder, Pi behaves the same.

Any help?

1 hour ago, Piotr Biesiada said:

but there is automatic script which dist-upgrades the whole system

Nope, on older systems, it was set to update the index and download only. https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/c6b065b68d8ac27b6f253bdb672ef4090b913571

With "apt upgrade" you conduct the actual install/upgrade.

BananaPi was tested for the last update, but if you are using some very old build, changed system files ... who knows. It can also be a failed SD card ...

Any help?

Can you get a serial console log? Can you attach Banana to your HDMI screen and make a photo with your camera or at least show the content of files in /boot ... 

For serial console I don't have any RS232 computer. Tried to attach HDMI but didn't manage to set up boot options for that. From the box it does not send signal to HDMI monitor.

What I have observed is that last kernel update was a failure, and the previous boot files were removed anyway (despite wrong compilation of kernel). I've just put new version of armbian and configure it as old system was.

Still would like to try HDMI output and attach a USB keyboard, only for console access.

I can still go to previous system as I have image of the SD card backed up.

Almost any USB-TTL-Serial are priced around $0.99 on eBay, it is so cheap that noone should live without some (I've around 8 of then, different models), it is the most easy way to debug any SoC issues, especially when used in headless scenario.

So I can see, that no one is responding to the badly made upgrade of boot process and kernel upgrade. Not nice. Each person which has upgraded their system from old-boot to new-boot will have these problems. The only resolution of this problem is to reinstall the system from zero to new version of Armbian. Not nice.

Each person which has upgraded their system from old-boot to new-boot will have these problems. The only resolution of this problem is to reinstall the system from zero to new version of Armbian. Not nice.

We are trying hard not to break anything since dealing with users is our direct cost. You are asking for my personal time for free, remember this. If you would find a serial console, we might be able to provide you hints for recovery ... some generic you can also find here and you will not waste your time in first place. 

The only resolution of this problem is to reinstall the system from zero to new version of Armbian. Not nice.

Armbian is the one if not the only one that provides such updating in a first place. On most others, this is the only way.