Touchscreen hell

mrroland

A coworker of mine gave me a 5 inch hdmi touchscreen (waveshare knockoff). Getting hdmi to work properly on my orangepi pc was done in a few minutes. 

But the touchscreen drives me nuts. 

It came with a xpt2046 so I loaded the ads7846 driver I compiled from fbtft. 

No error messages, but also no response to a touch. It took me a week to finally realize that not the wiring, the driver or Armbian is was the problem, but the touch digitizer was. So I ordered a new one on my favorite Chinese site and installed it on the lcd. Finally I got a response to touching the screen, but I was not able to calibrate it with xinput_calibrator. After manually calibrating it I found out why... 

When moving my pen over the touch area in a straight line from right to left, the right halve of the screen gives a accurate touch. But when I reach the left halve of the screen the cursor starts moving up.... Disappointed that I received a broken digitizer I ordered a new (different) one from an other store while complaining to the seller of the broken one. I received the other digitizer and replaced the broken one only to find out that the problem still exists... I decided that the xpt2046 was faulty and replaced it with a ads7846. I'm working in a electronics factory and was lucky to find out we had a few on stock. Expecting the problem to be solved now I hooked up the screen and tried. Disappointment all over... Still the same issue. 

So I am with my hands in my hair... 

Any help would be greatly be appreciated. 

I am sorry to hear you have had those problems. They are "OMG" ones. Unfortunately, we as Armbian, don't support 3rd party hardware in the board support section. That's why this topic was moved from that section and I hope moving this to the right place will not add to your overall frustration :unsure:

Thanks for the reply. Moving the topic is no problem, I didn't realize I should have posted it in this section. 

Its indeed a strange error, everything should be working.... Can't imagine this is a driver issue. 

since all of those displays are often produces for RPis, running Raspian...  It might be a easy way to test them.. Just hock it up to a RPi with the Waveshare drivers.. I had also once a 5inch waveshare knockoff, worked without issues (on a RPi, don't have it here to test it on an Armbian) despite an annoying pink line which didn't disappear.. 

Or you spend the extra bucks going for an original.. and yeah, it costs more, but waiting weeks and weeks just to realize that something else went wrong costs you at least nerves, sometime you've to balance what's worth more..  For me, it wasn't that important when the display worked.. so price overruled nerves (and probably ethics too.. :rolleyes:)

Ok, I finally got a workaround:

I connected the digitizer to a cheap USB touchscreen driver I ordered from China. Touchscreen instantly worked. I only had to invert the x-axis. 

So I guess there is a design flaw in the touchscreen driver circuit on the lcd pcb.