bananapi and realtek hostapd problem

AlterX

Hi,

I just migrated to armbian freom bananian using exactly the same hardware components (that were working well with bananian) and now after let armbian auto configure the wifi AP with armbian-config, I can see many problems in starting hostad:

Spoiler

hostapd v2.5 for Realtek rtl871xdrv
root@bananapi:~# hostapd -d /etc/hostapd.conf
random: Trying to read entropy from /dev/random
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf
ctrl_interface_group=0
drv->ifindex=4
l2_sock_recv==l2_sock_xmit=0x0x16e1ae8
BSS count 1, BSSID mask 00:00:00:00:00:00 (0 bits)
Completing interface initialization
Mode: IEEE 802.11g  Channel: 5  Frequency: 2432 MHz
DFS 0 channels required radar detection
RATE[0] rate=10 flags=0x1
RATE[1] rate=20 flags=0x1
RATE[2] rate=55 flags=0x1
RATE[3] rate=110 flags=0x1
RATE[4] rate=60 flags=0x0
RATE[5] rate=90 flags=0x0
RATE[6] rate=120 flags=0x0
RATE[7] rate=180 flags=0x0
RATE[8] rate=240 flags=0x0
RATE[9] rate=360 flags=0x0
RATE[10] rate=480 flags=0x0
RATE[11] rate=540 flags=0x0
hostapd_setup_bss(hapd=0x16e2170 (wlxe8de279f1eae), first=1)
wlxe8de279f1eae: Flushing old station entries
ioctl[RTL_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Operation not supported
wlxe8de279f1eae: Could not connect to kernel driver
wlxe8de279f1eae: Deauthenticate all stations
+rtl871x_sta_deauth_ops, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff is deauth, reason=2
rtl871x_set_key_ops
Failed to set encryption.
Failed to clear default encryption keys (ifname=wlxe8de279f1eae keyidx=0)
rtl871x_set_key_ops
Failed to clear default encryption keys (ifname=wlxe8de279f1eae keyidx=1)
rtl871x_set_key_ops
Failed to clear default encryption keys (ifname=wlxe8de279f1eae keyidx=2)
rtl871x_set_key_ops
Failed to clear default encryption keys (ifname=wlxe8de279f1eae keyidx=3)
Using interface wlxe8de279f1eae with hwaddr e8:de:27:9f:1e:ae and ssid "ARMBIAN"
Deriving WPA PSK based on passphrase
SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=7):
     41 52 4d 42 49 41 4e                              ARMBIAN
PSK (ASCII passphrase) - hexdump_ascii(len=11): [REMOVED]
PSK (from passphrase) - hexdump(len=32): [REMOVED]
rtl871x_set_wps_assoc_resp_ie
random: Got 20/20 bytes from /dev/random
GMK - hexdump(len=32): [REMOVED]
Key Counter - hexdump(len=32): [REMOVED]
WPA: Delay group state machine start until Beacon frames have been configured
rtl871x_set_beacon_ops
rtl871x_set_hidden_ssid_ops
Failed to set beacon parameters
+rtl871x_sta_deauth_ops, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff is deauth, reason=3
rtl871x_set_key_ops
rtl871x_set_key_ops
rtl871x_set_key_ops
rtl871x_set_key_ops
hostapd_free_hapd_data(wlxe8de279f1eae)
rtl871x_set_wps_assoc_resp_ie
Interface initialization failed
wlxe8de279f1eae: interface state UNINITIALIZED->DISABLED
wlxe8de279f1eae: AP-DISABLED
wlxe8de279f1eae: Unable to setup interface.
hostapd_interface_deinit_free(0x16e1550)
hostapd_interface_deinit_free: num_bss=1 conf->num_bss=1
hostapd_interface_deinit(0x16e1550)
wlxe8de279f1eae: interface state DISABLED->DISABLED
hostapd_bss_deinit: deinit bss wlxe8de279f1eae
+rtl871x_sta_deauth_ops, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff is deauth, reason=3
rtl871x_set_key_ops
rtl871x_set_key_ops
rtl871x_set_key_ops
rtl871x_set_key_ops
wlxe8de279f1eae: AP-DISABLED
hostapd_cleanup(hapd=0x16e2170 (wlxe8de279f1eae))
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface wlxe8de279f1eae wasn't started
hostapd_interface_deinit_free: driver=0x48cac0 drv_priv=0x16e1a70 -> hapd_deinit
hostapd_interface_free(0x16e1550)
hostapd_interface_free: free hapd 0x16e2170
hostapd_cleanup_iface(0x16e1550)
hostapd_cleanup_iface_partial(0x16e1550)
hostapd_cleanup_iface: free iface=0x16e1550
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=6 eloop_data=0x16e1b78 user_data=(nil) handler=0x447df5

Can someone give me a hint?

Thanks

Gio

1 hour ago, Gianni Romano said:

I just migrated to armbian freom bananian using exactly the same hardware components

And why do you hide information about your hardware and ask for help? Provide full logs with: armbianmonitor  -u and hope that someone will see what is the problem.  Bananian had two kernels, Armbian has three ... 

Edit: i havent notice before. Armbian-config way of setting AP sometimes doesn't succedd. In that case you are on your own. Like you were on Bananian. Manual way ...

I am sorry, but I don't know really the system. This is the output: armbianmonitor -u

I have recompiled the latest hostapd 2.6 and applied the realtek patch; the result is the same.

dnsmasq is working well.

What I have noted is:

wlxe8de279f1eae: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 172.24.1.1  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 172.24.1.255
        ether e8:de:27:9f:1e:ae  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 1  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 6  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

As you can see the wifi device is UP but not RUNNING and I don't know how to fix this...on bananian it was "easy" nevertheless I performed everything on my own.

10 minutes ago, Gianni Romano said:

I am sorry, but I don't know really the system. This is the output: armbianmonitor -u

The link is invalid. Most likely you only need to add wireless interface name to the Network manager exceptions and restart it. Check and add here: /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-ignore-interfaces.conf

21 minutes ago, Gianni Romano said:

I set it in that file unfortunately same result

Then "Armbian support team" can't help.

3rd party hardware and applications have no place in a technical support section. Moved elsewhere. It's not related to our work, but most likely to upstream kernel drivers ... I can only wish you luck with finding better drivers.

In my humble understand, after I compiled also the realtek driver and always got the same error, is that the armbian kernel has a a glitch somewhere that is preventing rtl8188eu driver from working well...

This is not a configuration problem on hostapd or other software, it is really something that is preventing the wifi dongle from being loaded correctly.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:29 PM, Gianni Romano said:

after I compiled also the realtek driver and always got the same error, is that the armbian kernel has a a glitch

Most wireless drivers code is of low quality and it needs fixing that it's possible to build, than sometimes you need to fix it that it works ... Have you ever asked why certain drivers are not already a part of the mainstream kernel? Some drivers are. Because the code is good and compilation works. Even there, problems/regression is possible.

There are extremely slim options that something is wrong with the kernel. You can switch to the beta repository and try two other kernels. First updated 4.14.y and 4.17.y and see if you get the same results. If none works ... you still can use old kernel (not recommended) or buy a well working and supported wifi dongle ... or dig into this driver issue on your own.

3 hours ago, Tido said:

Ciao Gianni,

At the bottom of this website you find some products, just click on it https://www.armbian.com/banana-pi-plus/

Ok thank you so much...

I Will opt for this one although it is a bit too much:

Edimax EW-7811UTC

Strange that I cannot make my dongles work since I specifically bought those after searching for linux support...

16 hours ago, Gianni Romano said:

Strange that I cannot make my dongles work since I specifically bought those after searching for linux support...

Linux support :unsure: ... all those development boards are sold with "Linux support", while most of them are somewhere from usable, barely usable to not usable at all without extensive development and/or fixing such as we and other specialized groups do.

Even those wireless adapters, which we have on the list as tested/supported, needs maintaining which costs us perhaps 30-50h per year. Each, well, not exactly each, kernel upgrade, breaks driver compilation and some code adjustment is needed. Usually, it's minor, but sometimes it can get messy. For example, I found out today, that our 8188EU patch breaks when compiling 4.17.2 / aarch64, this way:

Spoiler

CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rtl8814au/hal/phydm/phydm_dfs.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rtl8814au/hal/phydm/txbf/halcomtxbf.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rtl8814au/hal/phydm/txbf/haltxbfinterface.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rtl8814au/hal/phydm/txbf/phydm_hal_txbf_api.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rtl8812au/hal/phydm/halphyrf_ce.o
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7814:3: error: ‘struct iw_handler_def’ has no member named ‘private’
  .private = rtw_private_handler,
   ^~~~~~~
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7814:13: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  .private = rtw_private_handler,
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7814:13: note: (near initialization for ‘rtw_handlers_def.get_wireless_stats’)
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7815:3: error: ‘struct iw_handler_def’ has no member named ‘private_args’
  .private_args = (struct iw_priv_args *)rtw_private_args,
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7815:18: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
  .private_args = (struct iw_priv_args *)rtw_private_args,
                  ^
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7815:18: note: (near initialization for ‘rtw_handlers_def’)
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7816:3: error: ‘struct iw_handler_def’ has no member named ‘num_private’
  .num_private = sizeof(rtw_private_handler) / sizeof(iw_handler),
   ^~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7816:17: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
  .num_private = sizeof(rtw_private_handler) / sizeof(iw_handler),
                 ^~~~~~
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7816:17: note: (near initialization for ‘rtw_handlers_def’)
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7817:3: error: ‘struct iw_handler_def’ has no member named ‘num_private_args’
  .num_private_args = sizeof(rtw_private_args) / sizeof(struct iw_priv_args),
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7817:22: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
  .num_private_args = sizeof(rtw_private_args) / sizeof(struct iw_priv_args),
                      ^~~~~~
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c:7817:22: note: (near initialization for ‘rtw_handlers_def’)
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:312: recipe for target 'drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.o' failed
make[4]: *** [drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rtl8814au/hal/phydm/phydm_kfree.o

Sure it's fixable, but somebody has to donate his time and fix it. I hope you get a picture now. It's kernel version dependent as well.

Hi sure...I had already the picture of this.

I know that steady efforts are always asked when other changes or improvements are coming in. I was just speaking about wifi dongles by the way.

Anyway it might be that those wifi dongles I have are well supported as "standard" use of wifi (as client) and it might be that are not well supported to be APs.

Anyway thanks for the support. I will first test it with a startech.com wifi dongle that seems to use the same realtek chip of Edimax one to see if it is working and how stable it is.

Thanks so far

Gianni

Ok I have reinstalled armbian and the dongle wifi at this point is UP and RUNNING...I configured the wifi to be AP I can connect thru wifi to the bananapi but no internet connection is available so it is not routing to the eth0 interface...

I checked all, ip_forward is 1, rules in iptables are set and the default gateway is the one of the main router.

4 minutes ago, arox said:

Does your router know it should send to bananapi ?

What do you mean? Bananapi goes to internet thru eth0 over the main router. The wifi on bananapi is the AP and is not actually  routing from wifi dongle to eth0 and thus to internet (thru the main router)

I suppose you have a host B that want to join Internet through A (bananapi) and Router R. In that case, B send packets to A, A forward packet to R, R forward to Internet. But the reverse path should be OK : R send packet to A when Internet reply to B.

The normal, basic configuration should be that A

- is configured as router (ip_forward = 1)

- present 2 different neworks on etho and wlan0

- forward traffic by default to R (default route)

But B should have default route to A and Router should have a route to B or network of B threw A.

But this is just basic configuration, you can also bridge or subnet/proxy or nat or ...

If you use bridging, wlxx interface should not have an address but be associated (with eth0) to a bridge (install bridge-utils) and forget about ip_forward or iptables

Yes that is done over NAT with iptables so bananapi has a wifi AP that is redirecting or should the traffic towards eth0 that is connected to the main router that provides internet access.

Anyway I used armbian-config to automatically set the wifi AP and it seems to not work well, because after this problem of connectivity now I get problem with dnsmasq:

systemctl status dnsmasq.service
● dnsmasq.service - dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-06-19 22:05:19 CEST; 11h ago
  Process: 805 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/dnsmasq systemd-exec (code=exited, status=2)
  Process: 786 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --test (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jun 19 22:05:19 bananapi systemd[1]: Starting dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server...
Jun 19 22:05:19 bananapi dnsmasq[786]: dnsmasq: syntax check OK.
Jun 19 22:05:19 bananapi dnsmasq[805]: dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for 172.24.1.1: Cannot assign requested address
Jun 19 22:05:19 bananapi systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=2
Jun 19 22:05:19 bananapi systemd[1]: Failed to start dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server.
Jun 19 22:05:19 bananapi systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jun 19 22:05:19 bananapi systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

and surprisingly the content of /etc/network/interfaces.d/armbian.ap.nat disappeared

13 minutes ago, Gianni Romano said:

Anyway I used armbian-config to automatically set the wifi AP and it seems to not work well

This tool is and will probably remain in the beta state unless there will be extensive help with maintaining. It's a complex task to secure that this wizard operate stabile. I know it has many weaknesses ... and I have some ongoing plans on how to expand the tool and make it stronger. But life has other plans :) 

13 minutes ago, Gianni Romano said:

and surprisingly the content of /etc/network/interfaces.d/armbian.ap.nat disappeared

If you disable AP with a tool, this is removed. Somehow expected behaviour.

Ok so now I am trapped because I have have enbled it again, but file is not there...

Another issue comes: the dongle randomly switch off and is no more available!

EDIT: I used again armbian-config to disable the AP (when this voice is popping up!) and I reinstalled the AP again; now it seems everything is working properly and also internet access is valid...

I will now test the stability of the dongle and of the AP