orange pi one is there an uboot file?

renky

10 hours ago, renky said:

Any solutions?

"Official" Debian support for those ARM boards is minimal and its based solo on upstream sources which are not in a perfect condition. What is wrong with this solution: https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-one/ ? If you still insist to DIY, get sources, get the right compiler, compile, write u-boot to the SD card and hope it works ...

I have asked debian to get orange pi one on the list.

Orange pi 0 is on the list. Are the 2 computers not almost the same?

What is wrong with this solution: https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-one/ ?

It is about getting a free software system confer free software foundation on the orange pi one. To my knowledge getting a free

software system on an arm computer requires uboot. The more mainboards are able to run a free software system the

better. Also if all devices or graphics are not supported.

In this case it is also about getting a free software freedombox.org on the computer.

If you still insist to DIY

Beyond my skills.

I asked on the freedombox email list. One person had a try but got discouraged because the orange pi one is not on the

https://packages.debian.org/sid/armhf/u-boot-sunxi/filelist list.

5 hours ago, renky said:

It is about getting a free software system confer free software foundation on the orange pi one.

You were already explained how to transform Armbian into the radical free OS - it's solvable in few seconds:

apt purge iozone3 armbian-firmware

Armbian Stretch is more matured, fixed and supported as "pure" Debian Stretch. It comes with extra utilities and its fine-tuned to get the most out of it.

5 hours ago, renky said:

Beyond my skills.

Plain Debian for ARM bords is also less user-friendly.

You were already explained how to transform Armbian into the radical free OS

No, that is not how I read the post. I read it as there were many pieces of non free software

in armbian and I would have to identify them myself. Which I am unable to do.

Please clerafy if I install armbian stretch on the orange pi one and then run

apt purge iozone3 armbian-firmware

there will be no piece of non free software on it?

How does it boot? Uboot?

14 minutes ago, renky said:

No, that is not how I read the post. I read it as there were many pieces of non free software

in armbian and I would have to identify them myself. Which I am unable to do.

Since we are not paying attention to this free issues seriously it is hard to be completely certain. We have many other problems than dealing with this in detail. Those few packages are known, while the rest is known that it's free ... but unless someone makes a study on this ... we will not put a label "Stallman free" (besides this and that)

Yes, we use u-boot bootloader but certain boards (Amlogic, Samsung, ...) uses closed source 1st stage loader available only as a blob, and that is certainly not free software. 

Thank you.

Since we are not paying attention to this free issues seriously it is hard to be completely certain.

What has to be avoided is that I believe a system is free software but it is not. Because you say

that to your best knowledge the system is free software I will test

it and not forget there is a possibility that the system contains non free software.

On Armbian Xenial I ran

sudo apt purge iozone3 armbian-firmware

After restarting I opened several programs. I cannot say the computer was slower. If above command

removes all non free software cf. free software foundation then the computer runs good on

free software.