Current status of hardware reencoding

levanthai

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot about VPU acceleration for h264 decoding and encoding. However, it seems that there is not much regarding transcoding (decoding + encoding). I would be interested in decoding 1080p h264 and encoding it back to 720p h264 in realtime. Ideally having that operation on 2 streams in parallel would be great.

I've seen that quite some work has been done in cedrus

As I can, h264 decoding seems to be supported but encoding is unclear. And there is obviously no comment about running both operations at the same time.

Since I would like to run a few tests and maybe help a bit, what hardware should I order ? Allwinner H3/H5/else ?

Thanks

1 hour ago, levanthai said:

I would be interested in decoding 1080p h264 and encoding it back to 720p h264 in realtime.

It might work on H3 with the legacy kernel but never tried such a scenario. Mainline kernel support is WIP at the moment.

On 9/20/2018 at 7:24 PM, levanthai said:

I've seen that quite some work has been done in cedrus

Are you referring to the bootlin effort on the Allwinner cedrus stuff?

Great work there from a high-quality team... not sure if all they've done has made it into mainline yet... but it's promising.

A word on transcoding in general - one is always going to get a quality hit when moving from one format to another - I'd always consider doing it at the last stage for playback only, not for archival purposes...