Armbian for RK3399

balbes150

On 11/23/2019 at 10:31 AM, balbes150 said:

Verify that the settings in the DTB and to build your working version.

The forum discussed many times how to work with the DTC utility.

With DTC utility, I have a little idea how to work. I don’t understand what settings for usb are correct and whether there is an error in them. prefix magicsee n6max. Help someone than he can.

A new designation of the version number for Armbian.
The current version Legacy kernel 4.4 is 19.11.3 (20191126).
All previous images are moved to the OLD directory.
For the starter kit, I expanded the list of available images.

Stretch
Buster
Xenial
Bionic
Disco
Eoan

Updated content link for MEGA site. All old images removed, left version only 19.11.3

3 hours ago, amirul said:

What do you guys think?

The RK3399 is a powerful and excellent processor capable of replacing a home PC. But for full-fledged work it needs good cooling. In the photo, the rk3399 chip is located very close to the 40-pin connector and there are no elements to mount a good radiator. I may be wrong, but  have doubts, that here can be obtain good cooling with small costs. On the second exiled there is photo "radiator", on fact this meager cube metal can be immediately sweep in garbage, he absolutely useless, the additional thermo gasket will make cooling even worse and not will nor what good from this meager cube metal.

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

On the second exiled there is photo "radiator", on fact this meager cube metal can be immediately sweep in garbage, he absolutely useless, the additional thermo gasket will make cooling even worse and not will nor what good from this meager cube metal.

they say it is ceramic heatsink

21 minutes ago, amirul said:

custom made or bought? I would like one :)

I bought a radiator for aliexpress. and completed it myself. soldered copper plates from the bottom of the heatsink to reach the processor

5 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I bought a radiator for aliexpress. and completed it myself. soldered copper plates from the bottom of the heatsink to reach the processor

Thanks for the info. Lets see whether I can do something similar

14 minutes ago, amirul said:

they say it is ceramic heatsink

Even if they say they're using super-duper material, they can't change the laws of physics. Heat transfer physics, excess heat must be dissipated into the environment. This is transmitted in two ways. Radiation and convection (interaction with air). Therefore, the surface area through which the heat will be removed is of paramount importance. There are strict heat transfer coefficients that are not possible to cheat (this is equivalent to the diameter of the pipe through which you need to drain the pool water). You will not be able for 1 second, drain the water from the pool size of 1 ton, through a pipe with a diameter of 1 cm. by the Way, it does not matter what material is used for the radiator, the transmission performance is limited by the air ratio, which is many times lower than any metal. Therefore, it is a lie of sellers that copper (ceramic or any other materials) is better than the simplest aluminum (necessarily light and without coloring). Important area of air contact (the larger the area, the better) and the speed of its movement along the radiator. The light color of the radiator is important to ensure that the radiation is reflected from its surface and does not return to the radiator (parallel planes of the plates emit heat to each other and it is important that it is reflected from them and goes into space from the radiator).  :)

Spoiler

Даже если они скажут, что используется супер-пупер материал, законы физики они не смогут изменить. Физика передачи тепла, избыточное тепло должно быть рассеяно в окружающую среду. Это передаётся двумя способами. Излучение и конвекция (взаимодействие с воздухом). Поэтому первостепенное значение имеет площадь поверхности, через которую будет отвод тепла. Есть строгие коэффициенты теплопередачи, которые не возможно обмануть (это равнозначно диаметру трубы, через которую вам нужно сливать воду из бассейна). Вы не сможете за 1 секунду, слить воду из бассейна размером 1 тонна, через труду диаметром 1 см. Кстати, абсолютно безразлично, какой материал используется для радиатора, производительность передачи ограничена коэффициентом воздуха, которые во много раз ниже любого металла. Поэтому это враньё продавцов о том, что медные (керамические или любые другие материалы) лучше чем самый простой аллюминий (обязательно светлый и без окраски). Важна площадь контакта воздуха (чем блоше площадь, тем лучше) и скорость его перемещения вдоль радиатора. Светлый цвет радиатора важен для того, что-бы излучение, отражалось от его поверхности и не возвращалось в радиатор (параллельные плоскости пластин излучаю тепло друг на друга и важно, что-бы оно отражалось от них и уходило в пространство от радиатора).

11 minutes ago, Lexx said:

In your case, the use of copper is justified. The radiator has many thin plates with a large surface through which it transmits heat to the air. If they are made of aluminum, it is fragile and will not make them very thin, like copper.

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Let's shoehorn this old heatsink I got off an old PC motherboard and see :)IMG_20191130_185004.jpg.d69e0d49ebe3a4d568b4c036553571c3.jpg

3 minutes ago, amirul said:

Let's shoehorn this old heatsink I got off an old PC motherboard and see :)

Aluminum is poorly soldered ... and good thermal contact will not work ... I tried. If only to grind a solid radiator ... but this is not at my capacity ...

51 minutes ago, Lexx said:

and good thermal contact will not work

You need to use a "cube" of metal, the size of the lower side, equal to the size of the processor and the height that the main radiator would not rest against the surrounding components + good thermal paste in two places of contact, between the "cube" and the processor, and the second between the "cube" and a large radiator. Two thermal transitions through a good paste will work quite well. The main thing is the thickness of the thermal paste layer should be minimal and the whole structure is well mated with the entire surface.  You can even use radiators from PC \ video cards with thermal pipes. They have a contact plane with the chip is usually small and the radiator itself is located with the removal (does not interfere with the installation). :)

By the way, for new RPi4 use the same principle of removal of the radiator from the Board itself.  :)

Got Armbian_19.11.3_Aml-g12_bionic_current_5.4.0_desktop_20191130 running on the Magicsee N6 Max using rockpi-4 dtb (after wait)

Everything works except wifi. Desktop doesnt feel as smooth as the kernel 4 though.

Should I be alarmed to see these in my syslog?

Dec  2 09:12:02 localhost chronyd[1053]: Received KoD RATE from 91.189.91.157
Dec  2 14:19:43 localhost chronyd[1125]: Received KoD RATE from 91.189.91.157
Dec  2 21:00:18 localhost chronyd[1125]: Received KoD RATE from 103.16.182.23
Dec  2 23:18:02 localhost chronyd[1125]: Received KoD RATE from 103.16.182.23
Dec  3 15:58:03 localhost chronyd[1125]: Received KoD RATE from 103.16.182.23
Dec  3 17:57:45 localhost chronyd[1125]: Received KoD RATE from 103.16.182.23

This is whats running in armbian-config

apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" -y upgrade

if I run without -y I get

The following packages have been kept back:
  libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libpulse0 libpulsedsp pulseaudio
  pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-gconf
  pulseaudio-module-zeroconf pulseaudio-utils

Anyone know what's going on?

PS: apt will happily offer to upgrade the pkgs for me

On 12/11/2019 at 6:33 AM, amirul said:

All working except wifi

I have now launched the latest version of LE with dtb from RockPi4 on N6. Surprisingly, everything works including WiFi. I hope that when I switch to the next version of the kernel , the same thing will work in Armbian.   :)

Hello! Installed the latest distribution image Armbian_19.11.3_Rk3399-tv_xenial_legacy_4.4.154_desktop_20191126.img. The set-top box loads, but the desktop does not load. He writes that he can not open the display. The dtb file was taken from the n6 set-top box. Can anyone help turn on the desktop? Or tell me which distribution is better to use.

On 11/30/2019 at 2:54 AM, amirul said:

Haven't seen a proper review so far for the Orange Pi 4.

Another alternative would be the HardROCK64

https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/02/04/hardrock64-sbc-rockchip-rk3399-processor-launch-in-april/