trohn_javolta

[Odroid HC2] OMV, low transfer speed via SMB

Ok, so after PHP issues I started off with a fresh armbian install and via armbian-config I installed OMV 4.

Install finished without any problems but if I copy stuff via smb the tranfer speed is really bad and I don't know why. :(

On an old install with OMV 3 I used to get nice 100 mb/s. The cpu temp also used to be at like 80 °C during copy, now it looks like this:

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.47388a0d1d706b76554b37165af263bc.JPG

Following extra options are set in smb.conf:

min receivefile size = 16384
write cache size = 524288
getwd cache = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

I also checked smbd app, it's running on a big core.... I get the feeling that not all the avaiable resources of my HC2 are used anymore.

Can anyone help me here? The reason number 1 for choosing armbian + OMV were the introduced tweaks that got me NAS-like tranfer speeds... Other os' I tried all have equally bad tranfer speeds.

I wish everyone reading this a Happy New Year 2019! :beer:

21 hours ago, trohn_javolta said:

armbian + OMV

At this point I can only confirm that Armbian + Samba (with NanoPC T4 and Samsung PRO NvME SSD drive http://ix.io/1xgI) with install from Softy works 100Mb/s OOB. One core goes to 50% ... like nothing is happening.

:beer:

18 hours ago, Igor said:

At this point I can only confirm that Armbian + Samba (with NanoPC T4 and Samsung PRO NvME SSD drive http://ix.io/1xgI) with install from Softy works 100Mb/s OOB. One core goes to 50% ... like nothing is happening.

:beer:

Nice, that's good :thumbup:

By chance now I saw following in ssh welcome screen: Memory usage:  90 % of 1996MB :o

Could this be the problem?

I never checked this, I thought I have plenty ram left. Comparing to older setup all I added to the mix is docker + some small containers based on alpine linux.

And wow.. that one mono app needs lots of ram:

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.b9c2fcd1cfc849ed421507d49c01ff27.JPG

Edit: Ok, now I disabled mono app and also saw that a python app uses quite a bit of cpu, also disabled that and get around 70 mb/s.

Can't I somehow tell samba to "overrule" all other apps, so I get my 100 mb/s when I need them? I don't copy stuff back and forth all the time, but when I do, full gigabit speed would be nice.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:01 PM, trohn_javolta said:

By chance now I saw following in ssh welcome screen: Memory usage:  90 % of 1996MB

:)

A quick note: I get 100MB/s reading, while writing goes sometimes down to 70-80MB/s.

On 1/3/2019 at 7:02 PM, Igor said:

:)

A quick note: I get 100MB/s reading, while writing goes sometimes down to 70-80MB/s.

Stupid question: With reading you mean copying from hc2 to local machine, right?

That's what I keep testing.

I could lower ram usage a lot, sth. is messed up with my jackett (mono) container.

But even disabling the container I cannot get more than like 60mb/s max....

I now check with htop, I think it's nice to check processes.

During copy via smb I see that all the big cores are pretty maxed out..at least htop shows that.

Still cpu temp isn't as high as it ways some months back when I used to get my 100mb/s. :(

I'm thinking about overclocking the hc2 xD Idk if that may help..what do you think.

Since I used to get these "high temps" like up to 85 °C I had the plan to add better cooling some time ago. I mainly was worried about the hdd temp being too high for my taste, I think like 50 °C.

So now I finally added active cooling and with that I think I could overclock the hc2 :D

It's not very professional :D

IMG_20190107_210909.thumb.jpg.aeeb06f260a2ce1e39c9d20b9ae50293.jpg

But it works. Took this fan kit, cut off a bit from the metal frame and added feet.