[Odroid C2] kernel patch

Guest bobsmith

Guest bobsmith

I recently did an apt-get update on an Odroid C2 which included the following:  linux-dtb-odroidc2 linux-firmware-image-odroidc2 linux-headers-odroidc2 linux-image-odroidc2 linux-jessie-root-odroidc2 linux-u-boot-odroidc2-default.  I figured it'd be all fine and dandy because it looks to just be an update to 3.14.67, versus the old 3.14.65. 

Installed and restarted without any apparent errors.  Upon logging in, uname -r still reports 3.14.65-odroidc2 however.  Files in /boot seem to all be labeled 3.14.67, but it's looking for all the kernel modules in /lib/modules/3.14.65-odroidc2, which is now basically an empty folder instead of /lib/modules/3.14.67-odroidc2.

So before I go and screw my other C2s up I thought I'd check in here first.  Did I do something wrong, and is there an easy fix for this?

Are you using our system or others? This would explain problems ... second the install part might not install kernel correctly. Can you check two things: is your first boot partition mounted to /boot by default and can you do ls -l /boot

Guest bobsmith

Definitely Armbian, I've got it on a few other SBCs, it made sense to me at least to stick with the same distro on them.

This C2 is using eMMC instead of microSD, I'm not sure if that really makes a difference.  It's a pretty plain install at the moment.

The first partition is boot, fstab is as follows:

/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,rw,nosuid 0 0
/var/swap none swap sw 0 0

As for the contents of /boot:

total 32574
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     6944 Mar 26 16:31 boot.bmp
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     2811 Mar 26 16:31 boot.ini
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root       64 Mar 26 16:31 boot.scr
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   109229 Apr 30 21:49 config-3.14.67-odroidc2
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     2048 May  6 16:50 dtb
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12755888 Mar 26 15:51 Image
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  2856566 Apr 30 21:49 System.map-3.14.67-odroidc2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  4888600 May  6 16:51 uInitrd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12722864 Apr 30 21:49 zImage

There's a zImage file there now that isn't on my other C2s, which is somewhat suspicious. 

But it should work with this patch: (image becomes zImage and voila)

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/patch/kernel/odroidc2-default/packaging-odroid-c2.patch

Ah, yes, I was thinking about Pine64 where I changed packaging to use Image instead of zImage.

Then boot script probably wasn't updated. Github history shows that old boot-odroid-c2.ini loads Image instead of zImage.

Guest bobsmith

You only need to change boot script and point to zImage, reboot and you will be on new kernel.

Excellent, it's up and running properly again. Thank you.  I assume the old kernel Image file is safe to delete then?