Tanix TX9S

Matteo Fedeli

41 minutes ago, Siraj said:

By the way i found no heating issue in it

I built a test image with a new kernel (added support for rtl8189es). I tried using DTB from Vega X96, surprisingly there was a WiFi network and it works. :)

Uploaded a new image of 20200328 with WiFi support on TX9s (works with dtb for gxm-vega-s96)

8 minutes ago, Siraj said:

Let me try my luck without any modification and using *q200.dtb file

You need to check all the gxm* files to find out which one is the best fit and you may have to take different parts and build a new version for TX9s.

Create a hotspot at windows and connect Tanix s912 (running armbian) with it.

Enabled armbian as iperf server and windows laptop as iperf client.

When server and client are 5m away

image.png.c5687e376264ee9e842c45801bcd6be5.png

When the server and client are 25m away with walls

image.png.fb8c9e20c76d07b9c44f69c1f54798ed.png

It seems its wifi is not good or the wifi driver is not good

3 hours ago, Siraj said:

When the server and client are 25m away with walls

With thes antenna and chip in it, it's a wonder it works at all. The built-in antenna on TV boxes is complete shit.

Hi all,

I've got a Tanix TX9s on stock android hooked up with a Full HD TV which works just fine.

I flashed an SD card with the latest img (Armbian_20.05.4_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.7.0-rc6_20200518.img) and boot it via toothpick method. The system seems to boot fine and I could ssh to it too but there is a problem with the output from the HDMI (or at least that's my opinion). The screen shows the OS booting for say 1s and it goes black (like no signal) and after 2s the screen comes back again, then after 1s the screen goes blank again and comes back again and it keeps going like this forever. Despite the screen going on and off the OS seems to be working.

I tried all the gxm dtbs but still same output on the screen. Is there something I can try to fix this issue? Thanks in advance.

On 5/22/2020 at 12:07 AM, kajboj said:

Hi all,

I've got a Tanix TX9s on stock android hooked up with a Full HD TV which works just fine.

I flashed an SD card with the latest img (Armbian_20.05.4_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.7.0-rc6_20200518.img) and boot it via toothpick method. The system seems to boot fine and I could ssh to it too but there is a problem with the output from the HDMI (or at least that's my opinion). The screen shows the OS booting for say 1s and it goes black (like no signal) and after 2s the screen comes back again, then after 1s the screen goes blank again and comes back again and it keeps going like this forever. Despite the screen going on and off the OS seems to be working.

I tried all the gxm dtbs but still same output on the screen. Is there something I can try to fix this issue? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Did you make this step ?

Copy u-boot.sd to u-boot.ext

Edited by Armin

12 minutes ago, Armin said:

Hello,

Did you make this step ?

Copy u-boot.sd to u-boot.ext

Hi Armin,

I followed the following post

The Tanix TX9s is an AML s912 box so i didn't flash uboot. I just flashed the armbian image mentioned in my first post then i edited uEnv.txt to point to the correct dtb file. Finally i booted from the SD card using the toothpick method.

Am I missing a uboot step? :huh:

13 hours ago, kajboj said:

Hi Armin,

I followed the following post

The Tanix TX9s is an AML s912 box so i didn't flash uboot. I just flashed the armbian image mentioned in my first post then i edited uEnv.txt to point to the correct dtb file. Finally i booted from the SD card using the toothpick method.

Am I missing a uboot step? :huh:

I had some issues (and not only color as mentioned) without to do it: If you are starting the system from an SD card, you need to copy file  u-boot.sd to u-boot.ext,

Normally, the file u-boot.sd is already on your SD card and there is no risk to try it !

You can also try another dtb file: example ?

Edited by Armin

On 5/23/2020 at 2:19 PM, Armin said:

I had some issues (and not only color as mentioned) without to do it: If you are starting the system from an SD card, you need to copy file  u-boot.sd to u-boot.ext,

Normally, the file u-boot.sd is already on your SD card and there is no risk to try it !

You can also try another dtb file: example ?

Hi @Armin

Sry for the late reply but I'm limited to one reply per day.

I copied u-boot.sd to u-boot.ext and the box didn't boot with any gxm dtb file. Copied u-boot.usb and tried to boot from a usb port and same result, boot logo comes up and it stays stuck on it :/

In the meantime, I searched further on this forum and found a post where @balbes150 suggested to plug in the hdmi cable after boot. Tried it and it worked! So basically to avoid the blinking screen on my Tanix TX9s I need to boot the box with the hdmi cable unplugged. After say 2s after i turn on the box i need to plug in the hdmi cable and the screen stays on. This process has to be repeated everytime i boot the box.

Note that if i wait until the OS fully boots and connect the HDMI cable the blinking screen issue persists.

Well this isn't a fix but a mere workaround which temporary solves the problem.

For the record, I've booted buster desktop. Sound, ethernet and wifi worked. Video playback  on YouTube worked but full screen didn't work. Bluetooth via a dongle worked too where i paired a Bluetooth speaker.

22 hours ago, kajboj said:

So basically to avoid the blinking screen on my Tanix TX9s I need to boot the box with the hdmi cable unplugged. After say 2s after i turn on the box i need to plug in the hdmi cable and the screen stays on. This process has to be repeated everytime i boot the box.

Hello,

I'm not an expert and could imagine that the problem is on the auto-detection of the HDMI screen into the boot.ini but you have spoken about a post from @balbes150 to try without HDMI cable plugged during the 2 first seconds of the boot, that means @balbes150 has a best view than me related to the issue.

Please to wait his feedback !

During this time, you can try another kernel for example.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:27 AM, kajboj said:

I need to boot the box with the hdmi cable unplugged.

I tested the TX9S (original model, not a clone). No problems with HDMI were detected. You may have problems with the quality of the cable, connectors, TV parameters, and so on.

The UART can be activated. GND, RX and TX are in a non-connected state by default. GND can be easily connected to the ground available on the printed circuit board. Enabling RX and TX require shunting two pins for RX, and two pins for TX, using the diagram below

GND             RX              TX              3.3V            (serial connector)

[]      []      [RX]    [TX]    []      []                      (empty component close to the serial connector)
                      (shunt)  (shunt)
        []      []      [RX']   [TX']   []      []

hello, I have a TX9S 2GB 16GB (model clone) and I would like to be installing Armbian on it, however I am a bit layman on the subject, to start I downloaded an image in version 20.02, I modified the dtb and uEnv.txt using dtb gxm-s912-libretech-pc.dtb, I did the process all right but at the time of installation there is an error called LABEL = ROOTFS does not exist. In the second attempt I downloaded another image this time a 20.05 I did the same procedure but a box did not boot and was in black screen, I also tested the gxm-q201.dtb and was not successful. Could someone help me indicate an image and a compatible dtb with a box, or maybe a similar tutorial? I await the reply sorry for the improvised translation.

5 hours ago, clayton said:

hello, I have a TX9S 2GB 16GB (model clone) and I would like to be installing Armbian on it, however I am a bit layman on the subject, to start I downloaded an image in version 20.02, I modified the dtb and uEnv.txt using dtb gxm-s912-libretech-pc.dtb, I did the process all right but at the time of installation there is an error called LABEL = ROOTFS does not exist. In the second attempt I downloaded another image this time a 20.05 I did the same procedure but a box did not boot and was in black screen, I also tested the gxm-q201.dtb and was not successful. Could someone help me indicate an image and a compatible dtb with a box, or maybe a similar tutorial? I await the reply sorry for the improvised translation.

Hi @clayton

I'm no tech expert but until someone knowledgeable replies, have you tried to boot from the SD card? Booting from the SD card is convenient until you find the right dtb file for your box. In my case all the gxm files booted desktop buster image, just the HDMI output wasn't OK. Unfortunately, if yours is a clone then, another one's success might not apply to your box.

I suggest you to boot from the SD card until you find the right dtb file.

• Werner locked this topic