Dual Wifi Interface Issue

beaufrusetta

On a previous build (and separate board), I have both wlan0 and wlan1 showing up as wireless interfaces on my OrangePi+ board. I have since upgraded the image on a new board, and now I only see wlan0.

The software I've written for the board relies on having both wireless interfaces present, however, I'm not sure how to get the other one to show up.

I've performed the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, and then installed the image to EMMC. I've basically got a fresh image, and I'm unsure what I need to do next in order to get the wireless adapters to show up properly.

Can someone help me out? Thank you!

Interesting. Is there a way to show/add a second interface or a better way to get to do what I want? I'm trying to have a device connected to one interface via wifi (wlan0), and then be able to interact with the small web server installed on the board that uses the other interface (wlan1) to scan for available wireless networks, and attach that interface (wlan1) to a separate wireless network. When successfully connected, it shuts down wlan0 and continues on.

Driver was responsible for adding secondary interface, but I'm not sure if it was special in any way. You can either recompile driver with additional

EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DCONFIG_CONCURRENT_MODE

in Makefile or you can add secondary interface by simply entering following command:

sudo iw phy phy0 interface add wlan1 type managed

Driver was responsible for adding secondary interface, but I'm not sure if it was special in any way. You can either recompile driver with additional

EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DCONFIG_CONCURRENT_MODE

in Makefile or you can add secondary interface by simply entering following command:

sudo iw phy phy0 interface add wlan1 type managed

I've tried running the iw commands to add an interface, but it's giving me "command failed: No such device (-19)". :-/ And that's where I'm currently stuck at. I could easily add that to my scripts and use that if it would work.

Ok - neither of those options worked. I'm not sure I'm even loading the driver right. I'm assuming I can do a lsmod to see the drivers loaded. Before running insmod on the new compiled driver, there is 8189es in there - which I'm assuming it being used. Then 8192cu shows up, but I'm not sure the onboard wifi is using that driver - nor do I know how to activate that driver.

Could someone help me out a little bit more to help debug so I can get this working properly? Am I supposed to be using 8192cu for the onboard wifi chip?

Ok - neither of those options worked. I'm not sure I'm even loading the driver right. I'm assuming I can do a lsmod to see the drivers loaded. Before running insmod on the new compiled driver, there is 8189es in there - which I'm assuming it being used. Then 8192cu shows up, but I'm not sure the onboard wifi is using that driver - nor do I know how to activate that driver.

Could someone help me out a little bit more to help debug so I can get this working properly? Am I supposed to be using 8192cu for the onboard wifi chip?

Hi @beaufrusetta did you manage to figure this out? Thanks