Issue with pihole and IPv6

Hi,

i am using a tinkerboard s to run pihole, wireguard and a maria database. It worked quite a while without any issues. Just after I had to start over with the tinkerboard, the issues began.

My main issue is, that after I restart the tinkerboard i do not get access right away to the internet. I have to open the pihole admin webpage first, just then I am able to get a normal internet connection.

That works then without issues until another restart.

I addressed my issue already in the pihole forum and the moderator suggested to ask here since in his opinion it might be an issue with the privacy extension of IPv6. I am honestly no expert and struggle quite a bit to get this issue fixed.

Maybe somebody has an idea where I have to look and maybe can tell me which IPv6 addresses (fe80, fd00, ...) I have to use between pihole and my router to get it to work.

thank you in advanced.

Hi

Thank you for that. Did not know where to start.

Unfortunately it does not work as expected. I get following print out, the link is missing though

System diagnosis information will now be uploaded to Please post the URL in the forum where you've been asked for.

I tried it within the armbian-config as well. Same result.

EDIT

I have unfortunately reached the maximum number of posts today.

https://pastebin.com/nDqAXRDG

Edited by MiCado
I have unfortunately reached the maximum number of posts today.

Hm you can use armbianmonitor -U as workaround (note the uppercase U) and put the output to some paste service.

Hm nothing odd here.

As far from what I can tell you is that Armbian has full IPv6 support like any other distribution does and does not alter the source distributions (Debian Buster or Ubuntu Focal to say) network config.

You can check the rockchip kernel configuration used either on Github or in your /boot directory.

All Armbian does is enable DHCP so the board can obtain an address from your router on first boot. From this point on everything is userspace and out of Armbian's reach.

That being said moved to p2p since most likely an userspace issue.

Thank you that you checked it.

I am still not sure why it keeps breaking. Maybe it has something to do that network-manager and dhcpcd5 are both active and maybe fighting over IP addresses.

Will have a look at the kernel configuration, but that is most likely way out of my comfort zone.

Thanks again.

On 10/31/2020 at 3:32 PM, MiCado said:

Hi,

i am using a tinkerboard s to run pihole, wireguard and a maria database. It worked quite a while without any issues. Just after I had to start over with the tinkerboard, the issues began.

My main issue is, that after I restart the tinkerboard i do not get access right away to the internet. I have to open the pihole admin webpage first, just then I am able to get a normal internet connection.

That works then without issues until another restart.

I addressed my issue already in the pihole forum and the moderator suggested to ask here since in his opinion it might be an issue with the privacy extension of IPv6. I am honestly no expert and struggle quite a bit to get this issue fixed.

Maybe somebody has an idea where I have to look and maybe can tell me which IPv6 addresses (fe80, fd00, ...) I have to use between pihole and my router to get it to work.

thank you in advanced.

I had similar issues with both dhcp clients enabled for ipv4 and ipv6 on the pihole, it's an issue with dhclient ipv6.

My solution;

Disable DHCP4/6 on the router and enable it on the pihole (SLAAC+RA,rapid commit), add static addresses for IPV6 and IPV4 (include router as gateway for both instances).

in the router, set the dns4/dns6 settings to pihole and enable RFC5006 to allow for DNSv6 advertisement.

Not necessarly related to the issue itself butI remember a few years ago I had very poor performance in resolving DNS entries with my Pihole. Actually disabling RFC5006 solved this.

So when experimenting with this option keep an eye on the performance if it goes down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.