Any Linux distribution that's better suited for Armbian Development?

willie-m

I have a Windows PC and I'm going to install a Linux distribution to do some software development for my Raspberry Pi and my Orange Pi.  I like Mint but since I am starting over... is there any specific OS that would be easier to use than another when I am looking at Pi? Like if I wanted to build a new Armbian image. What are people generally using as their main OS for development? 

Edit: Build docs mention this, so maybe Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is cleanest if that's already being used by some devs?

• creates development environment on the top of X86/AMD64 Ubuntu 14.04 LTS,
  •  

Thanks!

Willie

Armbianbuilder is meant for ubuntu...  The Linux Mint ubuntu-based distro may suffice

OK, but that does not sound like a strong endorsement :)  What are you using?

My goal in asking was to avoid "XYZ might work" in preference to a stronger "distro FOO is used with good success by quite a few of us". I'm starting from scratch to setup a system, so I can use whatever is recommended. I'd rather not accidentally pick a distro that nobody else uses... I would like to avoid potential ambiguity due to OS differences when I run into a problem. 

@willie-m

as lanefu says, Ubuntu LTS 14.04 or 16.04 are appropriate to build Armbian images as stated in the documentation.

http://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

try to stick with server only machine, so prefer to work with a virtual machine (as much of the process is run by root, making a mistake can destroy your system, a VM is safer)

(I had many trouble with gnome or kde, trying to automount the loop devices when the image was build by the armbianbuilder)

if you really want a Desktop, Linux Mint desktop 16.04 is probably ok (my laptop distro), let us know (I haven't tried to build Armbian images with my laptop).

(I had many trouble with gnome or kde, trying to automount the loop devices when the image was build by the armbianbuilder)

if you really want a Desktop, Linux Mint desktop 16.04 is probably ok (my laptop distro), let us know (I haven't tried to build Armbian images with my laptop).

That's good to know, thanks. I'll set up a server install for now. If I do go with a desktop I'll keep you posted.