Fresh Install without losing Data

helios4noob

As the title states I already have software raid setup on my NAS.  I'm currently running OMV 4 and I'd like to do a fresh install of the latest Debian image and OMV 5. I do not want to lose my data and would like to simply re-mount my drives. Is this possible? Also if I mess up and I'm unable to mount the raid/volumes, could I create an image of my current micro sd card and simply reflash it back onto the card and have everything as it was? 

If you have a second microSD, you can flash the new OS there and keep your old microSD as backup - taking an image of the microSD is possible too. Use the dd command.

If our information is already on the software raid - you should be able to back up and remount the drives without issues. I don't use OMV, but you should be able set it up again with out issue.

OMV has a plugin for backing up configutation.  Look for that and save your setting.  Then you should he able to import that config with a new OMV install.

Definitely do your research before.  Id look on OMV forums for info about that

@helios4noob Yeah as recommended by @SIGSEGV you can do a fresh install a new microSD card and keep the old one as backup in case you need access something that is not on your RAID array.

When you do a fresh install (Debian10 + OMV5), the system will automatically detect you previous raid ARRAY, you won't loose your data. Then you just need to mount it again via OMV interface.

Hey guys - thanks for all the advise. I finally got around to updating my system and bought a separate SD card just in case. The only issue I had was enabling SMB (which I was unable to do because of the browser, switched the browser and I was able to enable SMB). 

It just worked - I had recorded all the settings (using my phone) and just set everything up that way it was. Works fine. I'll keep the other sd card as a backup just in case something gets funky!