Orange pi plus 2e

Poukin

Hi everybody,

I need some help because I can't make my OPIPlus2e working the way I want.

If I understood well I have to install latest armbian, and copy/past script.bin, but sometimes ethernet is not recognized.

I tried every distros on my orangepi2e, but I can't install things like kodi (refuses to start, missing libs), or making work hfs drive (can't mount hfs although hfsprogs well installed).

I ended up installing openelec and it works great, but I would like to do a NAS with it. Is it still in active development or there is working ISO ?

Thank you very much. Best regards, Poukin

HFS support was not enabled in kernel configuration, it will be available in the next Armbian release.

Ich. Thanks for your response, I will wait next release. As for Kodi, do you know why it is not working while working fine in Openelec ?

As for Kodi, do you know why it is not working while working fine in Openelec ?

I would guess that it is conflicting with existing packages providing hardware acceleration for video. Proper packaging for desktop acceleration is mostly done, but it is not available in public yet (and it wasn't tested for compatibility with Kodi).

HFS support was not enabled in kernel configuration, it will be available in the next Armbian release.

We should be a bit careful at least with enabling HFS+ in legacy kernels. We already know that the sun8i kernel we use is broken regarding networking (affects AppleTalk -- broken multicast behaviour) and it is well known that Linux' HFS+ implementation lacks most recent HFS+ features (at least all the stuff that has been added starting with OS X 10.6 like transparent file compression and so on).

At least I wouldn't mount any HFS+ disk that has been written to by any OS X release newer than 10.5 without a full backup. To be honest: Back at the time when I was active in Netatalk development we once had a short 'conversation' with Linux' HFS+ maintainer (maybe 15 years ago) and this was such a horrible example of ignorance that I decided to never ever mount any HFS/HFS+ with Linux again. Simply too dangerous when responsible devs think in such a way.

In fact I prefered ext4 on my hard disks on the pi using SAMBA, using the pi as a NAS.

But ext4 was terrible on OSX (even with paragon extfs or macfuse installed), whereas hfs works fine on debian on the Raspberry Pi with hfsprogs/hfsutils (only drawback : 5 mb transfer rate instead of 11 mb/s in ext4). That's the reason I formatted my drives in HFS, because ext4 became corrupted easily and unreadable in OSX (and I never suceeded in making it readable in a virtual machine).

So if I understand I have to use a legacy kernel or I just have to wait for hfs support ?

Thanks

So if I understand I have to use a legacy kernel or I just have to wait for hfs support ?

Neither/nor. I warned for enabling/using HFS+ with our scruffy Android 3.4.x kernel (check the kernel version you're using on your RPi, that's most probably 4.4.x or higher!). Again: I won't mount HFS+ disks on Linux without having a full backup of the disk. And if I would plan to use disk drives to exchange data between OS X and Linux I would use exFAT and nothing else (or Netatalk on Linux on ext4 or btrfs with kernel 4.x and skip the disks at all).

Ok, so i have to reformat my hard drive. Which filesystem do you advise : ext4 ?

And then I Can(t make a NAS with the orangepi + kodi player in bleeding edge ? I must have a sd card with openelec ?

But on my Raspberry pi : NAS with hfs+ works like a charm (but quite slow due to the USB shared bandwidth), and netatalk works great too (like a TimeCapsule).

I won't be able to have these features on the orangepi ?

Thanks

I ended up installing openelec and it works great, but I would like to do a NAS with it. Is it still in active development or there is working ISO ?

Hi,

I'm the author of that OpenELEC fork. Current development is slow due to many reasons, but nevertheless bugs get fixed now and then. What do you mean by "working ISO"? I suggest that you post OpenELEC specific questions on OrangePi forum, this is Armbian forum...

Kodi in OpenELEC is modified because official Kodi doesn't have any H3 support.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer and your work on openelec which allows my orangepi to be useful.

In fact my primary objective was to have armbian installed, and kodi installed on it, as well as other tools (hfsprogs for the NAS, etc...), like a "bleeding edge" install.

With Openelec I must swap my sd cards because there is just kodi on that OS. That is why I asked if there were "unbroken ISOS", ie functionnal kodi/hfs/ethernet in my case, but it is not about openelec image but linux distros available for the pi.

But for the moment I have Openelec and I am very happy with it, but I would have liked to benefit from the fast gigabyte 10/100 to make a NAS. :)

By the way Iam looking forward booting openelec from the MMC, is there a simple way to copy the content of the SD card to boot from the MMC ?

There is a compromise for Kodi on Armbian. You can set it up to use mpv as a player. That way HW decoding and rendering should work, but as I heard, there are some limitations (I forgot which).

BTW: emmc_install.sh can install openelec to mmc, but it is a fresh copy, completely the same as if you would burn sd card image. You can try to use backup functions in Kodi to restore settings.

I would guess no UI overlays (on video) and no subtitles (especially on H3 which doesn't have G2D)?

OSD is available via software (pixman) on socs without G2D.

The problem with Kodi is, that there is currently no prebuilt alternative to jernej ones. But this one uses Allwinner's code ... (<- as discussed on various other places).

Mosterta has done and is still trying (AFAIK) to do an implementation with using linux-sunxi.org/cedrus , the reverse engineered code from linux-sunxi community. More info about kodi story here: linux-sunxi.org/kodi (<- to be continued)

UI in kodi works through gles though which has to be implemented via Mali on sunxi. On both forks.

Rellla

UI in kodi works through gles though which has to be implemented via Mali on sunxi. On both forks.

What do you mean by that? UI happily works with sunxi mali drivers. Did you mean VDPAU gles extensions? In that case my opinion is that Mali GPU is too slow for 4K cropping/scaling/rendering and Display engine (video unit) is much more convenient and capable for this.

It seems that since I installed it on eMMC, I no longer have the possibility to download another, theme, am I wrong ?

SD card and eMMC installation are completely the same in functionality. Install script copies over same U-Boot, same script.bin, same kernel and same filesystem. In fact eMMC is often seen as SD card on chip (a bit simplified).

What do you mean by that? UI happily works with sunxi mali drivers. Did you mean VDPAU gles extensions? In that case my opinion is that Mali GPU is too slow for 4K cropping/scaling/rendering and Display engine (video unit) is much more convenient and capable for this.

I just wanted to state, that ui has to be done with gles/Mali. Not more ;)

For the 4k you may be right to better implement display layers directly as we discussed on irc already iirc.

I just wanted to publish my opinion that I'd prefer a solution based on cedrus much more than the current openelec fork does it. But you know that already ;)

Rellla