Forgotten password for sudo (Tinkerbaord)


Recommended Posts

I'm trying to update in Htoo_Armbian and being prompted for my [sudo] password. I almost always use one password for all my Linux devices, so I may have set up a password during initial install of Armbian--don't recall. How do I recover my password, enter a new one w/o reinstalling the whole OS?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Donate and support the project!

Should've added this to the query ... when Armbian boots up, I am not prompted for any Login information. 

ANYWAY ....  hey, folks .... ARMBIAN on TB has pretty much become useless to me. I either need to solve the pwd problem or I'll re-install the OS.

And here's the BIGGIE ... I may not re-install ARMBIAN  ... instead opting back to TinkerOS.

So let's play ball and try to FIX my current issue. Pretend my TB w/Armbian is connected to some important medical device ... say a drug-delivery device ... that needs to be fixed in situ

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2021 at 4:33 PM, 13hm13 said:

I'm trying to update in Htoo_Armbian and being prompted for my [sudo] password. I almost always use one password for all my Linux devices, so I may have set up a password during initial install of Armbian--don't recall. How do I recover my password, enter a new one w/o reinstalling the whole OS?

 

Same way you would on any linux system.  Mount root filesystem on another device or boot from another image and put sdcard in usb reader.

 

Then chroot to the mounted filesystem and change password via passwd.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, lanefu said:

 

Same way you would on any linux system.  Mount root filesystem on another device or boot from another image and put sdcard in usb reader.

 

Then chroot to the mounted filesystem and change password via passwd.

 

Hey, Toots ... how ya' doin'? Swell? Well, dats greaaaaaaaaaaaat. Dat aints no "SOLUTION".I tired doin' what ya said and got PERMISSION DENIED.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 13hm13 said:

Hey, Toots ... how ya' doin'? Swell? Well, dats greaaaaaaaaaaaat. Dat aints no "SOLUTION".I tired doin' what ya said and got PERMISSION DENIED.

 

Hi friend, this is indeed the solution for a lost password. Sarcasm will not help this situation, and threatening to install TinkerOS is a don't care for us.

 

user@compy $ sudo -i
root@compy # mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/armbian
root@compy # chroot /mnt/armbian
root@armbian # passwd <username>
New password: 
Retype new password: 
passwd: password updated successfully
root@armbian # exit
root@compy # exit
user@compy

 

Do note that if you've gummed up your sudoers file (eg - editing outside of visudo), no amount of password resets will permit user sudo to root.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 13hm13 said:

Hey, Toots ... how ya' doin'? Swell? Well, dats greaaaaaaaaaaaat. Dat aints no "SOLUTION".I tired doin' what ya said and got PERMISSION DENIED.

 

Sorry bro that's all I can do for you.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tparys said:

Sarcasm will not help this situation, and threatening to install TinkerOS is a don't care for us.

Oh ,,,,, OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! 

;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, lanefu said:

 

Sorry bro that's all I can do for you.  

Which, to BEGIN with, wun't all dat much ............ NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Werner locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

0