Orange Pi plus Ethernet problem

Solegane

Hi everyone,

First of allm thank you for all the stuff on your site / forum,

I recently decided to give a try to an orange pi board, and chose the orange pi plus.

I have downloaded and installed the raw file of jessie desktop found on the site, and then tried to launch it.

At the first startup, I had a message about my ethernet connector, gmac probed... no PHY... and then the process continue, the card shut down. I unplug/plug in the power supply, and then the board correctly boot up, and I was able to log in.

The wifi is working fine (I use it now), but I don't have the ethernet connection. The ethernet cable is plug in, my ISP's router has a DHCP server (all my other devices in ethernet have an IP address), but there is no led on on the ETH port. I use the ethernet cable of my desktop computer who gets an IP by the DHCP server.

When I try ifconfig :

solegane@orangepiplus:~$ sudo ifconfig
[sudo] password for solegane:
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1104 (1.0 KiB)  TX bytes:1104 (1.0 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr d8:47:10:fe:94:2b  
          inet addr:192.168.1.109  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: 2a01:cb14:88:f900:da47:10ff:fefe:942b/64 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: fe80::da47:10ff:fefe:942b/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:6541 errors:0 dropped:172 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4332 errors:0 dropped:2 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:6798137 (6.4 MiB)  TX bytes:661205 (645.7 KiB)

but with -a option :

solegane@orangepiplus:~$ sudo ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 2e:5f:2d:5c:fe:1a  
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:114

{...}

I tried to turn in on :

solegane@orangepiplus:~$ sudo ifconfig eth0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid argument

solegane@orangepiplus:~$ sudo ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1104 (1.0 KiB)  TX bytes:1104 (1.0 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr d8:47:10:fe:94:2b  
          inet addr:192.168.1.109  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: 2a01:cb14:88:f900:da47:10ff:fefe:942b/64 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: fe80::da47:10ff:fefe:942b/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:6712 errors:0 dropped:173 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4408 errors:0 dropped:2 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:6855445 (6.5 MiB)  TX bytes:672963 (657.1 KiB)

solegane@orangepiplus:~$ sudo ifup eth0
ifup: interface eth0 already configured

If someone has a clue about that, it would be great !

Regards,

I have a similar issue with my plus 2e on mainline kernel. I havent tested wired with recent legacy kernel.. It may be an issue with most recent u-boot not initializing the phy correctly.      Unfortunately I haven't had time to dig into it.

anyway there's your breadcrumb. ;)

but there is no led on on the ETH port

Please try to run 'stress -c 2 -m 2' or 'sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run --num-threads=4' and report back whether your board freezes or shuts down. In this case you have an insufficient power supply (the GBit Ethernet PHY needs quite some power) if not then maybe the PHY is broken.

Anyway posting the output of 'sudo armbianmonitor -u' would help since this contains dmesg output.

ifconfig -> status of currently active interface

ifconfig -a -> status of all interfaces

Until there it just means your ethernet interface is not configured. But what happens if you configure it ?

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 ?

ifconfig

is useless when hardware is not available, please keep in mind that on the larger Orange Pi boards MAC and PHY are separate ICs (RTL8211E used as external PHY which does not come up if power is not sufficient). The only way ifconfig could help concealing symptoms is by disabling GbE network and falling back to Fast Ethernet since this reduces power needed by approx. 150mW. But I wouldn't call this a solution :)

At the first startup, I had a message about my ethernet connector, gmac probed... no PHY... and then the process continue, the card shut down. [...] there is no led on on the ETH port.

We should add 'stress -c 4 -t 10' to our firstrun script since this will save users with inappropriate power supply (and forum members trying to help) a lot of time since it will realibly shut down boards with insufficient power supply.

So I have test the differents commands as you ask :

solegane@orangepiplus:~$ stress -c 2 -m 2
stress: info: [3262] dispatching hogs: 2 cpu, 0 io, 2 vm, 0 hdd
stress: FAIL: [3262] (416) <-- worker 3264 got signal 9
stress: WARN: [3262] (418) now reaping child worker processes
stress: FAIL: [3262] (452) failed run completed in 20s
stress: info: [3278] dispatching hogs: 2 cpu, 0 io, 2 vm, 0 hdd
^C

The pi was totally frozen during this test

solegane@orangepiplus:~$ sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run --num-threads=4
sysbench 0.4.12:  multi-threaded system evaluation benchmark

Running the test with following options:
Number of threads: 4

Doing CPU performance benchmark

Threads started!

I haven't any problem during this command, I can do my stuff like browing internet, writing in vim, ...

I also try your other command :

solegane@orangepiplus:~$ stress -c 4 -t 10

stress: info: [3622] dispatching hogs: 4 cpu, 0 io, 0 vm, 0 hdd
stress: info: [3622] successful run completed in 10s
stress: info: [3676] dispatching hogs: 2 cpu, 0 io, 2 vm, 0 hdd
stress: FAIL: [3676] (416) <-- worker 3680 got signal 9
stress: WARN: [3676] (418) now reaping child worker processes
stress: FAIL: [3676] (452) failed run completed in 22sd :

And finally :

solegane@orangepiplus:~$ sudo armbianmonitor -u
Sorry, try again.
/var/log/armhwinfo.log has been uploaded to http://sprunge.us/XYEA
Please post the URL in the Armbian forum where you've been asked for.

In the report I have somewhere :

[   15.169961] gmac0: probed[   15.175553] gmac0 gmac0: eth0: No PHY found![   15.591639] gmac0: probed[   15.595532] gmac0 gmac0: eth0: No PHY found![   20.815437] gmac0: probed[   20.819121] gmac0 gmac0: eth0: No PHY found!

For the power supply, I have 5V with 2A.

For the power supply, I have 5V with 2A.

Well, ratings written on devices are one thing, reality another. But it seems the problem isn't power related but there's a physical problem between PHY and SoC (or the PHY not provided with power). Can you please provide the output of (executed as root)

sunxi-pio -m PD06

and in case the last value is 0 try to switch power on and see what happens with status LED on the Ethernet jack:

sunxi-pio -m PD06'<default><default<default><1>'

I have 1 for the last value :

Well, then switching off/on might be worth a try and apart from that I fear you deal with a somewhat broken board (since Armbian_5.14_Orangepiplus_Debian_jessie_3.4.112_desktop.7z has been downloaded a few hundred times and if Ethernet would be broken forums would be full of complaints):

sunxi-pio -m PD06'<default><default<default><0>'
sleep 1
sunxi-pio -m PD06'<default><default<default><1>'

BTW: I checked with my consumption measurements again and had to realize that sysbench only adds ~1750mW to total consumption so maybe adding a few USB peripherals to check again for underpowering problems might also be worth a try (the problem with some powering setups is that if the cable between PSU and board is the problem severe voltage drops under load might happen which might lead to all sorts of strange symptoms).

Another test would be to use one of loboris' OS images but there you have to ensure that you download/execute his update_kernel.sh script and choose OPi Plus since otherwise Ethernet can not work on the GbE equipped models since he used 2 different kernel drivers for Fast and Gbit Ethernet (mirror here)

I already tried many of the loboris' OS images without any success too

Well, you seem somewhat experienced but many people failed with loboris images on OPi Plus since they overread that they must replace both kernel and script.bin since neither Ethernet nor all USB ports work (since the internal USB hub isn't powered on when using the wrong script.bin and Ethernet needs different drivers with his kernel). So in case you tried his images and did use update_kernel.sh already then chances are pretty high that your board is defective regarding GbE (either connection PHY <--> SoC or PHY <--> power).

At this point I would give up and ask for a refund since unfortunately the USB ports on Plus and Plus 2 are behind an USB hub so adding an GbE USB adapter (like this) won't show that good performance. Fortunately the USB-to-SATA bridge uses an own USB port (not like on Banana Pi M3 where the 'engineers' put the GL830 also behind the USB hub) but unfortunately this chip is ultra slow (IMO from all H3 based Orange Pi, Plus and Plus 2 are not interesting at all due to lack of IO bandwidth... but as usual: YMMV)

Hi all,

Following this post i would like to explain my problem, which is related to this issue.

I've my Opi plus 2e with armbian 5.20 jessie desktop (emmc) connected with eth. cable to my router (Asus RT-AC87U). The problem is the upload internet speed, which is incredible low.

I have an internet connection of 300/300Mbs (fiber optic) and im making different test in http://beta.speedtest.net/on my Opi.

Im always getting values of 300/30, 300/15, 300/11. As you can see, download speed is correct, but upload speed is really low, and its so weird.

Ive made the same test on my PC, with the same host, and the values are 300+/300+ always. I've tried with other images, such as armbian jessie server or armbian ubuntu xenial server and also tried with different internet host, but the problem persist.

Here is my report, mentioned above: http://sprunge.us/bSGE

Also i tried these tests 'stress -c 2 -m 2' or 'sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run --num-threads=4' without any problem.

Can anyone help with this issue?

Thanks a lot

Use iperf3 against another machine on the local net to test your board's Ethernet performance first. If this is ok (see https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1440-h3-devices-as-nas/ for numbers) and you still suffer from 'something strange with Internet uploads' then it's time to waste some days of your life becoming a networking expert identifying the bottleneck(s) or issue(s) you're running into.

Use iperf3 against another machine on the local net to test your board's Ethernet performance first. If this is ok (see https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1440-h3-devices-as-nas/ for numbers) and you still suffer from 'something strange with Internet uploads' then it's time to waste some days of your life becoming a networking expert identifying the bottleneck(s) or issue(s) you're running into.

I've made iperf against another linux machine and here are the results

http://imgur.com/gallery/oPuNj

Bandwidth: 600-906 Mbits/sec

It seems its ok, so i dont have any idea where is the bottleneck  :(