creating image with extra packages pre-installed

jsnow0187

Ok, so I am bit of a linux noob.  I understand the basics, and compiled my first image from source today, and hey it works!  What I am trying to do is, build a image that has the packages that I need preinstalled.  Packages that I need are(nfs-kernel-server, samba, speedtest-cli, openvpn, and a few other) I tend to muck up my installation quite frequently, as I play around with settings too much.  

What I had been doing is cloning the sd card with dd, but I am looking for a better more reliable way, that gives a fresh install each time.  I didn't know whether I could edit the list of packages that are installed while compiling the image from source.  

Also, Thank you guys for the great image.  If there is any way I can help, I am more than happy.   I do not know much about the lower level, bare metal programming.  I am taking up network security at college, and learning python so I could use some projects to help.

This is what you need to check if you want to add something to the image:

http://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_User-Configurations/#user-provided-image-customization-script

But rather start at the beginning;

http://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

Nobody knows everything so don't worry about. Just try and if you fail, try discover why its failing, do it again, read docs, do it again, ... ask here and enjoy doing it. :)

@Igor thank you.  I thought it had something to do with that file.  The documentation is not very clear on specific commads that you can addk  to that file.  Do I put

"apt-get install #packages"  in the file or do i just list the packages or do something along the lines of what zador is suggesting

@zador  Thanks, I just tried what you suggested but it did not work.  I added a file lib.config in the userpatches folder with.  Do I have to reference that file in customize-image.sh?  if I do how do I do that?  

again thanks you for the hep  

@Igor thank you.  I thought it had something to do with that file.  The documentation is not very clear on specific commads that you can addk  to that file.  Do I put

"apt-get install #packages"  in the file or do i just list the packages or do something along the lines of what zador is suggesting

@zador  Thanks, I just tried what you suggested but it did not work.  I added a file lib.config in the userpatches folder with.  Do I have to reference that file in customize-image.sh?  if I do how do I do that?  

again thanks you for the hep  

You can also do this:

Add:

sudo apt-get install samba git-core apt-transport-https -y --force-yes

to customize-image.sh after BUILD_DESKTOP=$4. If you want t add more exotic programs, then you need to add more sources.