When connecting ADALM PLUTO is not recognized by USB

huguitovi
Go to solution Solved by huguitovi,

Armbianmonitor:

Hello everyone, I have not been able to make the OrangePi +2E (with Armbian Bullseye) of which I present the ix.io that can be seen from the lines 605 to 636, in which the dmesg seems to reject the ADALM PLUTO. I have another device with Armbian Buster, this one is a pcDuino4 nano fully compatible with the OPi One image in which the result is exactly the same. Not that I am an expert, I first contacted Travis from Analog Devices but he asked me if there is any special flag on the USB nodes in the device tree? But I haven't touched it, so I thought I'd come to consult you here.

I hope you can help me,
Thank you very much,
Regards
VH

PD: here (https://f1atb.fr/index.php/category/english/armbian-2/) there is a page where they indicate the step by step to install the PLUTO in Armbian but having followed it to the letter the result is the one I present to you, the Armbian used in this tutorial corresponds to other equipment, the ones I count, OPi +2E and pcDuino4 nano both have an Allwinner H3, this is the only difference I can find quickly.

Edited by huguitovi

thank you Werner,
Hi Igor,

yes, I have followed to the letter the link , I have placed an additional power supply in a separate port that has the ADALM PLUTO specifically for this. After consulting Travis from Analog Devices about this, he asked me something that I don't know how to answer, regarding the OS:
Are there any special flags set in the USB nodes of the device's devicetree? (link)

that's when I decided to come to consult you here, considering that on a desktop computer with Debian Bullseye the equipment works fine.

1 hour ago, huguitovi said:

desktop computer with Debian Bullseye

Debian is not responsible for communicating with equipment. That is Armbian Linux kernel problem which is a donation from Armbian developers to you and larger Linux community.

Userland is "A conceptual space outside the kernel in which a user's applications can run without the risk of damage to the operating system."

https://docs.armbian.com/#what-is-armbian

We provide you operating system that looks on Debian (is made from the same versions of packages), so it works the same for you, when hardware functions are not involved. Otherwise those machines are very different.

FYI

Yes, I understand 100% and I am very grateful for your time and dedication which I admire very much and I am a very happy Armbian user. I wouldn't have asked but I didn't know how to follow up and couldn't find anything related in the search engine.

I will also insist with this until I make it work, for the time being I keep on testing, as far as possible I will keep on learning and when I have the answer I will bring here the information to share it with you and our kind community.

I bring news:
Step 1. check if the Armbian image is correct:

For pcDuino4 nano, I follow the indicated path:

https://docs.armbian.com/boards/nanopim1/ ---> https://www.armbian.com/nanopi-m1/

(Before I used the one recommended in the Sunxi wiki corresponding to OrangePi One)

I get the same error:

[  153.818828] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
[  153.977312] usb 2-1: Dual-Role OTG device on non-HNP port
[  153.977549] usb 2-1: set a_alt_hnp_support failed: -32
[  154.110834] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform
[  154.269306] usb 2-1: Dual-Role OTG device on non-HNP port
[  154.269547] usb 2-1: set a_alt_hnp_support failed: -32
[  154.274902] usb usb2-port1: attempt power cycle
[  154.478837] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-platform
[  154.509685] usb 2-1: Dual-Role OTG device on non-HNP port
[  154.509927] usb 2-1: set a_alt_hnp_support failed: -32
[  154.642839] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-platform
[  154.673688] usb 2-1: Dual-Role OTG device on non-HNP port
[  154.673925] usb 2-1: set a_alt_hnp_support failed: -32
[  154.678894] usb usb2-port1: unable to enumerate USB device
[  155.066860] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using ohci-platform
[  155.285906] usb 5-1: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
[  155.297907] usb 5-1: Dual-Role OTG device on non-HNP port
[  155.299923] usb 5-1: set a_alt_hnp_support failed: -32
[  155.494863] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using ohci-platform
[  155.713903] usb 5-1: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
[  155.725910] usb 5-1: Dual-Role OTG device on non-HNP port
[  155.727914] usb 5-1: set a_alt_hnp_support failed: -32
[  155.738860] usb usb5-port1: attempt power cycle
[  155.954869] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ohci-platform
[  155.987902] usb 5-1: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
[  155.999904] usb 5-1: Dual-Role OTG device on non-HNP port
[  156.001886] usb 5-1: set a_alt_hnp_support failed: -32
[  156.194869] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using ohci-platform
[  156.227899] usb 5-1: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
[  156.239905] usb 5-1: Dual-Role OTG device on non-HNP port
[  156.241887] usb 5-1: set a_alt_hnp_support failed: -32
[  156.246914] usb usb5-port1: unable to enumerate USB device

Step 2. check what happens with the manufacturer image:
Then I look for the manufacturer's image, which offers an old Debian Jessie on with kernel 3.4
https://www.linksprite.com/pcduino4-nano/ --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/linksprite/pcduino/pcduino4-nano-debian-20160903.img.7z

kernel source code (https://github.com/pcduino/h3_lichee/tree/master/linux-3.4).

In this I find that there are not all the modules, but some that are always following the steps indicated in https://f1atb.fr/index.php/category/english/armbian-2/ ... mostly these:

sudo modprobe rndis_wlan
sudo modprobe usbnet
sudo modprobe cdc_acm
sudo modprobe cdc_ether
sudo modprobe rndis_host

After this test I find listed the device among the usb.. Uraah!!

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0456:b673 Analog Devices, Inc.

My questions now will be, I started out figuring there would be something to this remembering that I took this post to "Alwinner H3":

This could be indicating that the small differences between NanoPi M1 and pcDuino4 nano are not fully compatible at kernel level?

I should wait until there is a specific Armbian image for pcDuino4 nano (I would like more than much, my knowledge doesn't go that far but I help where I can).

Finally, I apologize in advance, if you misinterpret something of what I consult or comment here, everything comes from me with love, but I speak in another language and the DeepL can play a trick as to the all in which it is interpreted. I am sorry for that.

Hello fellow armbians, today I achieved one more step, using the friendly arm image for nanopi m1 with a 4.14 kernel version in debian jessie. the integration is even greater, and it gets to lift the plutoSDR network interface which is more necessary to make it work. unfortunately I did not find the source code for this kernel (edited: seems to be here! git), the image is here.

There are still some steps to make plutoSDR work but we are just around the corner.

• Solution
On 10/29/2021 at 1:13 PM, Igor said:

Debian is not responsible for communicating with equipment. That is Armbian Linux kernel problem which is a donation from Armbian developers to you and larger Linux community.

Userland is "A conceptual space outside the kernel in which a user's applications can run without the risk of damage to the operating system."

https://docs.armbian.com/#what-is-armbian

We provide you operating system that looks on Debian (is made from the same versions of packages), so it works the same for you, when hardware functions are not involved. Otherwise those machines are very different.

FYI

Using this last image that I indicate in the previous answer, I have managed to turn on the equipment and make some first step in gnuradio.Thank you very much for the contribution, it made me think that I should extend my search beyond Armbian, although now I miss my beloved armbian-config, glad that I have managed to get this device working...  Then it will be the turn of the OrangePi Plus 2E but for now this topic is closed!

Travis from Analog Devices has also helped me.

Thank you very much!
Regards
VH

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.