Armbian for Amlogic S805

jongerenchaos

51 minutes ago, mcc05 said:

Hi @Milan Kragujevic I've sent you an email, many thanks for the help.

Hi, everyone can get the info now, it's public, sorry if I'm infringing on Armbian's copyright or something by rehosting the files, but I compiled the kernel + built the image myself...

https://projects.milankragujevic.com/amlogic/s805/2018-10-28/

Included is the .config file I used. 

Someone have found how use Mali and UMP drivers for accelerate something in Armbian Linux? Its a possibility? Odroid C1 use same processor and have acceleration! I dont find any 2d or 3d acceleration information for this s805 tv boxes. Even the Video play acceleration not have development.

Any one uses Armbian with swap partition? I am having problem with swap , when ram its at 60% , swap activates but the kernel gives error and freeze the system. And I have to unplug the box. Its normal? This kernel don't work with swap?

Thanks!

Here the error in dmesg:

[  420.900792] [<c03436a0>] (sd_ioctl+0x8/0xb0) from [<c00e8eb4>] (add_to_swap_cache+0x88/0xf0)
[  420.900804] [<c00e8eb4>] (add_to_swap_cache+0x88/0xf0) from [<c00ca750>] (shmem_writepage+0x170/0x2ac)
[  420.900818] [<c00ca750>] (shmem_writepage+0x170/0x2ac) from [<c00c7170>] (shrink_page_list+0x450/0x88c)
[  420.900829] [<c00c7170>] (shrink_page_list+0x450/0x88c) from [<c00c7b7c>] (shrink_inactive_list+0x248/0x448)
[  420.900838] [<c00c7b7c>] (shrink_inactive_list+0x248/0x448) from [<c00c8560>] (shrink_zone+0x504/0x57c)
[  420.900847] [<c00c8560>] (shrink_zone+0x504/0x57c) from [<c00c9588>] (kswapd+0x6c0/0xa88)
[  420.900857] [<c00c9588>] (kswapd+0x6c0/0xa88) from [<c0050384>] (kthread+0xac/0xb8)
[  420.900868] [<c0050384>] (kthread+0xac/0xb8) from [<c000e020>] (ret_from_fork+0x14/0x34)
[  420.900876] Code: e28dd018 e8bd8070 e92d47f0 e1a05002 (e590205c)
[  420.902039] ---[ end trace 0a507ae7cf88c53d ]---

On 11/15/2018 at 12:02 AM, Titot said:

Any one uses Armbian with swap partition? I am having problem with swap , when ram its at 60% , swap activates but the kernel gives error and freeze the system. And I have to unplug the box. Its normal? This kernel don't work with swap?

Thanks!

Just wanted to comment and let you know you're not the only one with this problem. I recently started using Armbian on a S805 box I have laying around and get the same thing too. When I set a swap partition to either a USB stick formatted for swap or a swap file I made in the internal memory I get errors similar to yours.

https://imgur.com/a/IjsxdUF

This is a picture of the error I get when the system tries to swap memory. If anyone wants to replicate this, add some swap space then run the command:

stress -m 4

and it should lock up. The "stress" program can be installed by typing "sudo apt install stress" I would really appreciate if someone could make sense of these errors and provide a fix.

The new version of images of 5.67 20181123.  Kernel 3.10.33 (dev)  3.10.108 (default)  4.20 (next)

Pay attention. Changed the algorithm for specifying dtb. Now it corresponds to the General method. Be sure to update the universal multi-boot using the latest images (5.67). To select the desired dtb, edit the first line in the file "uEnv.ini".  Specify your version of the file name from the image or you can copy your version of the file to the media and enter its name. You no longer need to copy and rename anything.

I didn't test these images.

Good news.

1. I checked the latest images on the s805. Systems with kernel 3.10 start up and run normally, as in previous images, even without a universal multi-boot update. In the image with the kernel 3.10.33 there is a small error, there was no script to enable the screen (/boot/hdmi.sh) and there is no service to run it. It is easy to fix it-copy the necessary files from the previous version and enable the service.

For version 3.10.108 you need to replace uInitrd from version 5.44.

2. The image with the kernel 4.20 works on s805, it is necessary to replace the name of the dtb file in the "uEnv.ini" to " meson8b_ec100.dtb". With this dtb file I have a wired network and can manage the system via SSH. HDMI does not work yet, but  can have a full-fledged server with control over the network or UART.

Everything you need to build your version for s805 is now in the new GIT Build-Armbian.  All questions on the Assembly, you can ask in this thread.

On 11/24/2018 at 4:29 PM, balbes150 said:

Good news.

1. I checked the latest images on the s805. Systems with kernel 3.10 start up and run normally, as in previous images, even without a universal multi-boot update. In the image with the kernel 3.10.33 there is a small error, there was no script to enable the screen (/boot/hdmi.sh) and there is no service to run it. It is easy to fix it-copy the necessary files from the previous version and enable the service.

For version 3.10.108 you need to replace uInitrd from version 5.44.

2. The image with the kernel 4.20 works on s805, it is necessary to replace the name of the dtb file in the "uEnv.ini" to " meson8b_ec100.dtb". With this dtb file I have a wired network and can manage the system via SSH. HDMI does not work yet, but  can have a full-fledged server with control over the network or UART.

Everything you need to build your version for s805 is now in the new GIT Build-Armbian.  All questions on the Assembly, you can ask in this thread.

Thank you so much for your effort and contribute. Thank to you, I now able to run armbian on my old, laggy S805 android box with just only 1G ram and 4G MMC. Unfortunately, whenever I try to transfer installation from USB to MMC( with Android preinstalled), it said "not enough of memory" - may be because of my only 4G MMC . Do you have any tips/ideas to flash armbian to MMC?( I dont need android at all). I've thought of resize android partitions( extend /data partition) or build my own image file then flash it by USB Flashing Tool but haven't done it yet. I just wanted to know that it's possible to install your image to a 4G memory space. Thank you.

3 hours ago, Goodboy13 said:

I now able to run armbian on my old, laggy S805 android box with just only 1G ram and 4G MMC. Unfortunately, whenever I try to transfer installation from USB to MMC( with Android preinstalled), it said "not enough of memory" - may be because of my only 4G MMC . Do you have any tips/ideas to flash armbian to MMC?( I dont need android at all). I've thought of resize android partitions( extend /data partition) or build my own image file then flash it by USB Flashing Tool but haven't done it yet. I just wanted to know that it's possible to install your image to a 4G memory space.

You most likely have NAND memory (not eMMC), installation in this variant of memory is possible only in manual mode and in the presence of the UART console. You will have to study it yourself.

33 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

You most likely have NAND memory (not eMMC), installation in this variant of memory is possible only in manual mode and in the presence of the UART console. You will have to study it yourself.

My variant contains a sandisk SDIN7DP2-4G and from what I found on the internet, it is eMMC. I also have UART console access( that I used to command uboot to boot from USB, TFTP). Can you tell me what do I have to study/ prepare to make it boot from my eMMC? Just show me the main points, the way I have to follow and then I will try to do it myself. I am thinking about re-complie your source like the tutorial below and then flash it via USB flashing tool. Is it the right way? Thank you.
https://forum.khadas.com/t/how-to-debian-stretch-linux-4-9-from-scratch-w-download-emmc-only/806

53 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

If you have eMMC. Try running the ddbr utility and create a full copy of the eMMC. If you do have an eMMC, the system should create an archive with a copy. Show the URT output of the Armbian startup process.

I was able to create a backup of eMMC by ddbr command as below. And here is the armbian startup log captured via UART --> https://pastebin.com/8E73PNPz

image.png.111f270176a232dda78a7823b458aa7e.png

And here is the partitions output

image.png.ba5c51df0529e7d1f6fdc7291b1fd506.png

I've tried to follow some tut but no luck yet. still looking for the way around.

Can you pull out the regular dtb from Android firmware or from the TV box itself ? If you can, then there is a chance to convert it with the "dtc" utility to dts, make corrections to it (merge the last 3 partitions into one) and get the maximum possible size of the /dev/data partition to install Armbian in eMMC.

25 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Can you pull out the regular dtb from Android firmware or from the TV box itself ? If you can, then there is a chance to convert it with the "dtc" utility to dts, make corrections to it (merge the last 3 partitions into one) and get the maximum possible size of the /dev/data partition to install Armbian in eMMC.

There is a tool named "Amlogic Customization Tool" and I usually use it to customize Android image before flash it into my box. It also supports edit DTS and recomplie it back to DTB file. Here is the code that I got from the tool. --> https://pastebin.com/danMZZ9K  and the dtb file generated below. How and which partitions should I merge together? As I see from boot log, the last 3 partitions would be "boot - system - data". Thank you very much.

image.png.885ee7cfcadff3095da43c185d4283cb.png

I've tried to boot your armbian with that dtb file but it got stuck and stopped booting.

meson8b_m201_1G.dtb

The resulting dtb file will not be able to work with Armbian. It is needed in order to make a change in the placement of partitions and build a new Android firmware with a new file (new partitions). Put it on eMMC. After that, through UART make changes to ENV (activate multi-boot) and try to install Armbian in the new version of the sections.

16 hours ago, balbes150 said:

The resulting dtb file will not be able to work with Armbian. It is needed in order to make a change in the placement of partitions and build a new Android firmware with a new file (new partitions). Put it on eMMC. After that, through UART make changes to ENV (activate multi-boot) and try to install Armbian in the new version of the sections.

I failed to re-pack android image file after resize data and system partition. That program unexpectedly closed with no error message or anything. Is there any way to install armbian directly to eMMC without installing android first? or at least, flash it to a fully formatted eMMC( like using dd or similar commands).

I haven't checked in S805, but the S9xxx possible to install the system with the core 4.xx on eMMC in normal Linux partition mode. If you are using kernel 4.x, you can try the same option on s805. To use kernel 3.10, you need Android partitions of the correct size.Alternatively, you can try to change the installation script so that it places part of the data in different partitions (/dev/system and /dev/cache), preformatting them in ext4. and add new options to fstab to mount these partitions to new points

21 hours ago, balbes150 said:

I haven't checked in S805, but the S9xxx possible to install the system with the core 4.xx on eMMC in normal Linux partition mode. If you are using kernel 4.x, you can try the same option on s805. To use kernel 3.10, you need Android partitions of the correct size.Alternatively, you can try to change the installation script so that it places part of the data in different partitions (/dev/system and /dev/cache), preformatting them in ext4. and add new options to fstab to mount these partitions to new points

Thank you very much for your support and patience. I would rather try to do your first option, install your next version come with 4.20 kernel. But I have no idea what keyword I need to search with to get to the page that mentions how to install system on S9xxx. Can you give me the direct link or some tips/steps that I can use to follow up? Moreover, is there any chance that we can re compile your source to boot from eMMC and pack it to img file( with all uboot, fs, dtb and everything) then flash it like a normal android image via usb download tool?

On 12/13/2018 at 9:53 AM, Goodboy13 said:

Thank you very much for your support and patience. I would rather try to do your first option, install your next version come with 4.20 kernel. But I have no idea what keyword I need to search with to get to the page that mentions how to install system on S9xxx. Can you give me the direct link or some tips/steps that I can use to follow up

To verify that the 4.20 kernel can be installed on the eMMC, you need to run the following set of commands. Run Armbian with the 4xx kernel and run the command "fdisk -l" in the terminal as root to determine which name "/dev/mmcblkX" is assigned to the eMMC.

Hello,

I've been trying to install armbian to the internal memory of an MXQ S805 TV box but so far I was not lucky enough.

The ddbr script always fails because it cannot find the emmc device.  This happens because there isn't one: The emmc is detected as multiple devices (/dev/data /dev/system etc). 

Also, the latest versions do not have the install.sh script.  I've tried an older image with the install script but it won't work too...

I'm using the latest version that I can find (Armbian_5.67_Aml-s805_Debian_stretch_default_3.10.108_20181207.img) but I've also used an older one (Armbian_5.44_S805_Debian_stretch_3.10.108_server_20180521.img) with the same results.

I'm using the mxq dtb file and everything seems to be working... except the backup and installation scripts.

Can anyone shed a light here? What am I missing?  

Hello, I like to see that armbian runs on S805 boxes :)

I have a vero 2 lying around that I want to use as an octoprint server. It has also has an Amlogic S805 SoC with 1GB Ram and 8GB nand storage.

I think osmc (the os for it) will be too bloated, so I want to run armbian on it.

Now my knowledge is a bit limited on this....I found the github page where it explains how to build an image or a kernel....which I've never done before.

Is there a fairly up to date image I can just flash on a micro sdcard via etcher, pop that in an get going?

If so, can/should I install the image to the nand? I heard nand should be faster than class 10 micro sdcard. But also read on vero2/osmc forum that the nand has special partitioning, maybe that might be an issue, idk.

Well I'd appreciate any help on getting armbian to work on my currently useless vero 2.

Ok, I found more info myself, just want a short confirmation:

This is the Image I want to use: Armbian_5.67_Aml-s805_Debian_stretch_next_4.20.0-rc3-next-20181123.img.xz

So just flash it on sd card using etcher for example.

Then edit uEnv.ini and replace the name of the dtb file to meson8b_ec100.dtb. 

Insert the sd card, power on and done?

Or do I still have to boot android, install some update&backup app and choose one of there update files?

Edit: Ok that did not work. For the vero2 it is possible to run android on sd card and boot from it. Osmc is on internal nand.

In ssh if I enter sudo reboot androidv2, the box boots android from sd card. 

Now I  tried the command if there is no sd card plugged in and I get this:

IMG_20190108_203825.thumb.jpg.718f78e63127644068ea20ae6240e352.jpg

So I assume on the internal storage there is also an android recovery :)

I now plugged in the sd card with armbian on it.

I can navigate to aml_autoscript.zip :O

I could install it... do you think this will most likely brick my device, or is there a good chance it will work and I would be able to boot armbian from sd card?

Edit: ok, I got it booting armbian from sd card :)

Just insert the sd card, take a toothpick, poke it into the audio connector next to the hdmi port. There is a button inside you need to press. Then connect the power. Don't hold it for too long. Then wait a bit and ssh into armbian. done.