can Orange Pi Zero run in both standalone and console modes

islerya

Hi all. I am new in both OrangePi hardware and Armbian OS. I bought Orange Pi Zero 512 MB. I aim to develop a stand-alone device using this board. I am too confused with my readings. Do you have any idea for the following run rules together on the same board?
(1) When I connect via serial (USB), it runs bash. It will ask user name and password. I can write a program, compile it, update the OS, and change settings. <This part is okay.> I want to use a GUI for this part.
(2) When I supply 5-Volt power via extension pins, it runs stand-alone. It will not ask for a username and a password. It starts with an application developed in either Python or C programming languages. 

*** How can I combine these two in a single board? Is it necassary to change my board? Which OS should I use (I preferred Armbian)? Is it necessary to build a new image, or may I continue using the ready-built image?

I will be appreciate if you share an answer with me. Thanks a lot.

If I understood correctly you cannot do without hardware modification since 5v supply is shorted between GPIO and microUSB connector so the board can not differentiate from where power comes.