64 64
balbes150

ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

Recommended Posts

Hi @balbes150,

 

I flashed Debian 5.77 to my SDcard. It booted ok with my new TX3 mini (type A).

 

But now, when I ejected the SDcard from box, I can't boot to Android anymore. It stucked at device's booting logo.

 

I dont't install Armbian to eMMC. Just boot from SDcard and than eject it. Currently, I still can boot to SDcard, but Android is not. The only way to back to Android is re-flash the Android firmware.

 

I used "dmesg | grep mmc" command to check my device is eMMC or NAND, I found this: mmc2: new high speed SDIO card at address 0001

 

Can you help me? How to dual boot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, anonymox said:

Can you help me? How to dual boot?

For the analysis, you need the output of the "printenv" "help" commands from the UART console.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, balbes150 said:

For the analysis, you need the output of the "printenv" "help" commands from the UART console.

Are there other ways to do that? My device will lost warranty if I open it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, anonymox said:

Are there other ways to do that? My device will lost warranty if I open it.

Try to start the system with kernel 3.14 and run "fw_printenv" commands there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Try to start the system with kernel 3.14 and run "fw_printenv" commands there.

do you have a link to Armbian with kervel 3.14, I can't found it. I tried with higher kernel version but they only return file not found

---

never mind, I found it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Try to start the system with kernel 3.14 and run "fw_printenv" commands there.

I tried fw_printenv in kernel 3.14 but it only returned "Cannot parse config file '/etc/fw_env.config': Invalid argument"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@balbes150, I want to use my X96 mini for wireless direct printer server (for printing directly to /dev/usb/lp[x]). how could I enable printer with Armbian 5.44 kernel 3.14.19? With Armbian 5.76 kernel 4.19 it automatically detect my printer when I connect the printer and set the resource id: /dev/usb/lp0. With 3.14.19 it didn't do that. dmseg | tail shows that the printer's detected, but no device resource id link created in /dev/usb/

 

What gone wrong? Do kernel 3.14.19 not having printer driver included or what? What should I do to enable the printer. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am running this image Armbian_5.82_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_next_5.1.0-rc6-next-20190426-g3ddfa8af5-dirty_desktop.img on my x96mini tvbox. I am booting from an SD card. I would like to mount the internal storage of the tv box. But mount /dev/system or /dev/data reports that there is not such block device.

 

Can some please tell me how to mount the internal storage ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you suggest a different img version running Ubuntu 16.04 that still can boot to EMMC and newer kernel?
Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, for me, is impossible to copy to emmc

I managed on several box X96 mini 2Gb / 16Gb. But I block on a box mini X96 1Gb / 8Gb.

I start and look in the forum but I can not understand. Can someone explain to me simply

Sorry if I express myself badly, I am French

 

Merci

Alex

 

IMG_1377.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 11:42 AM, tonny said:

I want to use my X96 mini for wireless direct printer server (for printing directly to /dev/usb/lp[x]). how could I enable printer with Armbian 5.44 kernel 3.14.19? With Armbian 5.76 kernel 4.19 it automatically detect my printer when I connect the printer and set the resource id: /dev/usb/lp0. With 3.14.19 it didn't do that. dmseg | tail shows that the printer's detected, but no device resource id link created in /dev/usb/

 

What gone wrong? Do kernel 3.14.19 not having printer driver included or what? What should I do to enable the printer. Thanks. 

Kernel 3.14 is no longer supported, if you need to add something to it, you will have to build your own version.

 

On 5/9/2019 at 4:39 PM, NeoFrontier said:

I am running this image Armbian_5.82_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_next_5.1.0-rc6-next-20190426-g3ddfa8af5-dirty_desktop.img on my x96mini tvbox. I am booting from an SD card. I would like to mount the internal storage of the tv box. But mount /dev/system or /dev/data reports that there is not such block device.

 

Can some please tell me how to mount the internal storage ?

You do not need to mount anything manually, run the installation script and if you have eMMC, the system should be installed automatically.

 

On 5/11/2019 at 11:29 AM, almotra said:

Hello, for me, is impossible to copy to emmc

I managed on several box X96 mini 2Gb / 16Gb. But I block on a box mini X96 1Gb / 8Gb.

I start and look in the forum but I can not understand. Can someone explain to me simply

Sorry if I express myself badly, I am French

Ships by log, you do not have eMMC, but NAND memory, it does not support installation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

 

I would like to build an ubuntu server with my s905x.

 

Can someone point me the last ubuntu "server" img I should use plz ?

 

There are dozens of images and I'm lost.

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frisk said:

Can someone point me the last ubuntu "server" img I should use plz ?

Did you look at the 1rst post of this topic?

Maybe it's more interesting to take an image from this one:

You mainly have to check if ethernet or wifi are working for your box with kernel 4.xx images. Ethernet is often working well on the contrary to wifi, but it depends of your needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeanrhum said:

Did you look at the 1rst post of this topic?

Maybe it's more interesting to take an image from this one:

You mainly have to check if ethernet or wifi are working for your box with kernel 4.xx images. Ethernet is often working well on the contrary to wifi, but it depends of your needs.

 

Yes I did, thank you for your answer

 

In folder 5.87 on Yandex there are ubuntu bionic "default desktop" and "default".

"default" is it the server one ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frisk said:

"default" is it the server one ?

Yes and even if you use these server images you can easily install the desktop environment using armbian-config command-line tool (some specific packages for mali graphics better support may be used and downloaded from Balbes repo, but I never tested them).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jeanrhum said:

Yes and even if you use these server images you can easily install the desktop environment using armbian-config command-line tool (some specific packages for mali graphics better support may be used and downloaded from Balbes repo, but I never tested them).

 

Great, thank you.

 

I'm gonna try a lan minecraft bedrock server on it for me and my son.

 

First linux setup, I hope it will be fine :)

 

Here the tutorial I will try to apply for those interested :

https://jamesachambers.com/minecraft-bedrock-edition-ubuntu-dedicated-server-guide/

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, everyone.

I've got a X96 Mini 2gb 16gb. Is there a recommended image for this box? One where everything works out of the box? or the most compatible one?

 

I've been able to run Armbian_5.34_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.9.40_mate_20171112 using p212, but no WIFI.

 

Any recommended image?

 

If it works fine I would move to installing it on internal memory.

 

Thank you very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2018 at 10:48 AM, pisach said:

mecool M8S pro has SV6051 WiFi. You need to do the following:

 

ln -s /lib/firmware /usr/lib/firmware

modprobe ssv6051

add ssv6051 in /etc/modules

reboot

Could you be a bit mmore specific?

I've tried it using sudo because it requires permission.

In the last step, if I enter "add  ssv6051 in /etc/modules" I get an eeror indicating that the command doesn't exist.

 

When I follow your instructions WIFI works, but on reboot it is not detected anymore. I tried image armbian bionib beaver 3.14 20180729

 

Thank you very much.

 

EDIT: I have just found what the problem was. With your permission and pisach's, I will detail your instructions a bit more  to help noobies like me. At least, in my case, sudo was required. So it was left like this:

 

sudo ln -s /lib/firmware /usr/lib/firmware

sudo modprobe ssv6051

And in the case of the instruction "add ssv6051 in /etc/modules" we also need to use the terminal to browse and get to /etc where we will find a file named ""modules", which we need to open and include ssv6051. By using the terminal we will get to /etc and use sudo geany modules to edit it and add the new info.

 

I hope it is useful for other noobies like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haver seen the ssv6051 fix in the download section, but I can't install it in the terminal. I don't know how. Any help, please?

 

EDIT: I have already fixed the wifi issue, but I still do not know how to install new software which is not in synaptics. I mean deb files. Any ideas?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 3:03 AM, Carles said:

Hi, everyone.

I've got a X96 Mini 2gb 16gb. Is there a recommended image for this box? One where everything works out of the box? or the most compatible one?

 

I've been able to run Armbian_5.34_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.9.40_mate_20171112 using p212, but no WIFI.

 

Any recommended image?

 

If it works fine I would move to installing it on internal memory.

 

Thank you very much.

On 4/16/2019 at 2:28 PM, balbes150 said:

x96mini -> WiFi ssv6051 -> You can forget about it, the chip manufacturer has long disappeared and no one will make a driver for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I've got the login request in 5.88 from 20190604, ...0530 and ...0529 on my Mecool. But no USB ports found and I can't connect over ssh, because firewall restricted and no any ports opened while scan by nmap. Any suggestions? Is it regular issue with USB devices? The latest versions of kernel without result.

 

Update: Probably issue with ssh is my local network issue.

Update: Works great over ssh. Installing Gentoo using armbian. )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

balbes150, thanks you a lot, especially for your patience that you demonstrate answering user's questions (wich sometimes seems are not adequate)

I want to share my successful experience with my TV Box - Mini M8S II (p212 motherboard and amlogic905X). I turned it into Nextcloud Server/Storage with armbian/ubuntu on internal eMMC.

1. tv box no need dual-booting, it boots automatically in order: USB - SD card - eMMC.

2. i used latest images Armbian_5.88_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.0_20190607.img

3. i backed up eMMC 

4. i flashed eMMC with 'su-' --> './install.sh' painlessly whithout errors. And 1st boot was successful.

5. SSH become lagging. Im using LAN and decide turn off wi-fi totally. 

/etc/network/interfaces

uncomment

wireless-mode Managed
wireless-power off

 

And lags/freezing went away.

The speed and reaction from eMMC is much better than SDcard (even 10 class)!

Spasibo eshe raz, balbes150.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 9:52 AM, balbes150 said:

Incorrect DTB.

Ok, I've understood it already. The Gentoo over the your Armbian kernel load system also has been built. Good job balbes150 (nikname mismatch to it if we read russian transliteration [smile]).

 

The next question is: how to make uInitrd files for the kernel?

 

There is a lot of drivers that we do not need to serve at microserver side. eg: sound, bt, wireless. Need to rebuild network system for iptables etc.

 

Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

Each variant of the system has its own set of commands that do this. If you're into Gentoo, try asking in this thread.

 

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1055606.html

Thanks, I've recognized that differencies between initrd-<kernel-version> and uInitrd* in first cells in the hex table. uInitrd has:

00000000: 2705 1956 775a e370 5cf6 7ffd 0078 16d9  '..VwZ.p\....x..
00000010: 0000 0000 0000 0000 a36f 8945 0516 0301  .........o.E....
00000020: 7549 6e69 7472 6400 0000 0000 0000 0000  uInitrd.........
00000030: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000  ................

Which not in common initrd-<kernel-version>.

 

Thanks for thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

got Mecool M8s Pro w

uname -r 5.1.0-aml-s905

My wifi is not working, and after reading some forums i found out, that should 

modprobe ssv6051 modprobe: FATAL: Module ssv6051 not found in directory /lib/modules/5.1.0-aml-s905

but as i can see, that this kernel doesnt have this module.

Could anyone assist on fixing it?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found proper dts in your kernel repo for s912 with 3gig of ram named *s912*. balbes150, may you push them to your Armbian builds?

 

Would be better.

 

I will try to rebuild kernel-5.1.9 with your dts files. On the 5.1.0 works great, USB etc and dmesg output near of complete and clean (without many modules and drivers [smile]).

 

 

dtbs-s912.tar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
64 64