8GB+128GB Media Player H.265 Q96 MAX Smart TV Box Android 11 Amlogic S905L Quad Core 2.4G WIFI 4K Set Top Box Home Theater

pkollarp

How to put armbian on this tvbox?

8GB+128GB Media Player H.265 Q96 MAX Smart TV Box Android 11 Amlogic S905L Quad Core 2.4G WIFI 4K Set Top Box Home Theater.

The latest TV Box in 2022, supports 4K resolution, enjoy super-definition images and breathtaking viewing effect.
H.265 decoding technology saves half of the bandwidth than H.264, so it can show vivid and rich image details.
2/4/8GB RAM and 16/64/128GB ROM, large capacity allows you to download more applications and games in your TV box.
Amlogic S905L quad core processor is adopted for smooth and flexible operation, no worries about slow running problem.
The latest Android 11.1 system, with open-source application store, you can enjoy whatever you like.
Supports HDMI 2.0 version, convenient to stream your photos, video to TV screen.
2.4G WIFI Connection offers more stable wireless signal for you to enjoy HD media and playing game experience.
Supports mouse and keyboard via USB port; Also support 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard via 2.4G USB dongle.
Multiple-using scenes: office work, home entertainment, meeting demonstrate, school education, digital advertising etc.
Specifications:
CPU: Amlogic S905L2 up to 1.5 GHz, Quad core ARM Cortex-A53
Wifi: 2.4G
HDMI Out: HDMI2.0 to support maximum 4Kx2K display
USB Port: 2 High speed USB 2.0,support U DISK and USB HDD
AV Out: AV(3 in 1) port
Lan: RJ45 10/100M
Power Supply: DC Jack 5V/2A
OS Version: Android 11.1
K0DI: K0di 18.1

1PC-4K-Q96-MAX-Smart-TV-Box-Android-11-A

Hi,

Did you get put armbian?
This device is a piece of shit (incompatible with current Netflix, Disney+, HBO+...), very slow. I will move it to a print server

If you like it, for upgrade Kodi for latest (recommended), you have uninstall it and install from scratch.

I Just found this youtube video describing hot to install armbian on Q96 Max TV box.
It seems the guy forces Q96 to boot an armbian image from USB flash drive.
Unfortunately it is in Korean and is not clear to me if the image can be actually written to the eMMC.
Perhaps someone can help with the translation of the required steps.

Yes it is pretty crappy box but I got mine for 17$ so I could not resist to buy it.
Mine is "4GB/64GB" version it seems they all are 1GB/8GB in reality.
Here is couple of pictures of the PCB, the eMMC (BIWIN UM18A8G861S) and DDR (Lanson L5TC2G83EFR) chips are not well known at all.

48088-EB7-9-F1-E-4218-9171-BB0-FAC0-DC79

8261-D655-3-CAF-4883-8074-6-DF03-D7-A082

I managed to boot Armbian image from a usb flash drive.

image.png

It seems I have 800MB RAM and 3GB eMMC 🙂

root@armbian:~# free -m
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:             803         163         127           4         512         559
Swap:            401           0         401

[ INFO ] The device name: [ Amlogic Meson GXL (S905X) P212 Development Board ]
[ INFO ] The device eMMC name: [ /dev/mmcblk2 ]
[ INFO ] The device eMMC size: [ 3GB ]

@Aurelio: Yes I used method described in the youtube video above.

You will need serial cable connection to the PCB and adb.

The 4 pin connector on the PCB is used for the serial connection. Cheap USB<->Serial converter can be used, note the voltage level of the signals is 3V3 (only GND, RX and TX pins are needed), serial speed is 115200 bps.

I can't say much about the performance compared to RPi. Since the armbian filesystem is on USB 2.0 flash the file operations are rather slow. I successfully installed OctoPrint with web camera support and it seems to fork fine.

I still not try to write the image to internal eMMC, I want to be able to backup the stock android and have a method to restore it if needed. For now I backed up the eMMC content with

dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 iflag=fullblock oflag=direct bs=512k | gzip > tvbox-backup.img.gz

but I'm not sure if this file is useful.

Edit:

armbianmonitor result

Edited by stroma

These boxes are 1G/8G if you're lucky, some only have 4GB of storage. You can boot standard Armbian kernel 6.1 community builds. Just put them on a USB stick and change the bootloader and DTB as described elsewhere. I use the s905x-p201 DTB with this box.

I found the easiest way to boot from Android into Armbian is to create an empty zip file on the USB drive, then open the Update app in Android, select the zip file and run update. It will now forever boot Armbian as long as there is a bootable USB stick :)

Don't install these Armbian builds on eMMC. You will brick your device and need to restore Android using USB Burning Tool. If you do, make sure you use the right image. There are at least 3 versions of this Q96max box!

If you want to install Armbian to eMMC, use a S905X image with kernel 5.x from here: https://github.com/ophub/amlogic-s9xxx-armbian - their eMMC installer actually works. Their 6.1 images don't boot.

Great @thielj

- USB "extlinux" folder: Update extlinux.conf: "FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb"

- USB root folder: Copy "u-boot-s905x-s912" to "u-boot.ext"

- Create in USB device a zero byte file called "vazio.zip" ("empty" in portuguese)

- In tv-box Android, open Update App and select above zip file and "update"

On next boot, Armbian (bookworm) will start at USB device succesfully.

THANK YOU

Edited by Aurelio

Hello,

I try to install armbian on my Q96max 4K Ultra HD fake 8GB 128GB

It is registered on the S905L-B processor (but I don't know if it's fake too)

The reference on the PCB is  PAM5LV207A1-4-121217

IMG_20231003_232207(Moyen).thumb.jpg.71e2580591e4d744a0c2c88c35322842.jpg

I tried the procedure indicated by @Aurelio and @thielj without success

I use the image: Armbian_23.08.0_amlogic_s905x_jammy_5.15.133_server_2023.10.02.img with the u-boot-s905x-s912 but when I try to boot from the USB key (I tried 2 different USB keys and also a USB/SD reader) it does not start on armbian but on the Android recovery menu

IMG_20231003_232133(Moyen).thumb.jpg.9a84c57aee8f9087b2e1f20b23e931fc.jpg

I see it says p201 so I also tried with u-boot p201 but same result. I also tried with the image intended for S905L-B (Armbian_23.08.0_amlogic_s905lb-r3300l_lunar_5.15.132_server_2023.09.20.img) but the same, I systematically arrive at this menu.

Do you have any idea because I'm going in circles a bit? :(

14 hours ago, sliver85 said:

Armbian_23.08.0_amlogic_s905x_jammy_5.15.133_server_2023.10.02.img

This is not an Armbian image.  This is a fork of armbian.  You need to ask for support from where you downloaded your image, we can't help you here as we didn't product that image.  IT is unfortunate that others use the armbian name without permission, and cause confusion among users.

@sliver85 ,
I downloaded the image from: https://armbian.hosthatch.com/archive/aml-s9xx-box/archive/

Worked to me:

- Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11.img.xz 
- Armbian_23.5.1_Aml-s9xx-box_bookworm_current_6.1.30.img.xz

Follow again these steps:

1) Burn SD (i.e. Balena Etcher) the above image

2) Mount and open that SD
3) Edit /extlinux/extlinux.conf and "FTD lines" with only "FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb" (without quotes)

4) Copy (or rename) "u-boot-s905x-s912" root file to "u-boot.ext"
5) Create in that SD a ZERO BYTE file (i.e. "empty.zip"). SD is done.
6) Next step: Boot tv box normally (without SD)
7) In tv-box original Android, open "Update" app, select that empty zip file and click "update". This step unlocks boot from SD card
8)) Turn off tv box, insert SD card and turn on  

Try and give us a feedback

@Aurelio

I downloaded the image from: https://armbian.hosthatch.com/archive/aml-s9xx-box/archive/

Worked to me:

- Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11.img.xz 
- Armbian_23.5.1_Aml-s9xx-box_bookworm_current_6.1.30.img.xz

Follow again these steps:

1) Burn SD (i.e. Balena Etcher) the above image

2) Mount and open that SD
3) Edit /extlinux/extlinux.conf and "FTD lines" with only "FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb" (without quotes)

4) Copy (or rename) "u-boot-s905x-s912" root file to "u-boot.ext"
5) Create in that SD a ZERO BYTE file (i.e. "empty.zip"). SD is done.
6) Next step: Boot tv box normally (without SD)
7) In tv-box original Android, open "Update" app, select that empty zip file and click "update". This step unlocks boot from SD card
8)) Turn off tv box, insert SD card and turn on  

Try and give us a feedback

is it permanent? will it boot to armbian on usb everytime I restart or turn on the android box?

I want to turn it into a headless server

No, is not. 

If you remove usb device, it will boot android. 

If put back usb, go to linux. 

that completely suits me. I have my old amlogic s805 tv stick running armbian and it works great 24/7.

I am looking for cheap alternatives as s805 sticks can't be found anywhere anymore.