Orange Pi 5 Support

Efe Çetin

Have you tried installing the armbian-firmware-full package?  The base distribution comes with the armbian-firmware package installed (note not -full) which is a trimmed down package that contains a small subset of all available linux firmwares to reduce size.

thanks for the suggestion its running now

but its very very slow and says its going to take more than an hour!

(I usually get ~30megabytes (not megabit) download speeds when all's well)

UPDATE:    Nice! :)   That worked the keyboard is now working fine! 

Thank You!

Edited by fredrum

Since my lack of HDMI output may be a hardware issue (the port is not showing up in the DISPLAYS option under the SETTINGS option of the Armbian GUI), is there a specific test or file I should be checking to indicate if the HDMI port is being 'seen' by the underlying system ?

Seems the following distro got a very good support for Chromium 4k video playback. something we can borrow perhaps :) ... (sorry if we ard had it, I've been not very active testing our new release lately)
One more thing I noticed from this video is ... I loved Armbian, but there's a lacking of tracking/ indicator of how many Windows are being opened, and that kinda affects the experience a bit.

https://github.com/Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-orange-pi5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgcyKUtUqQs

Some food for thought ...

Edited by Avatar Ng

Would anyone be kind enough to suggest some specific board locations I should check voltage, to figure out if my board just died on me? 

Or is there any method to "hard reset"?

I had been running Armbian Cinnamon Desktop/Octoprint just fine, and then as usual... curiosity killed the cat:

- I started messing with an Android 12 SD boot.

- Played around with RKDevTool for a minute, to see if I could boot from the NVME SSD that had just arrived earlier that day.

- I realized all that would take (me) more time than I had at the moment, so I backed off then focused on trying to get Android to work on my touchscreen in portrait mode.

- Messed with a few display Dev Settings, but they didn't seem to have any effect so I restarted the unit using the Android UI power button/restart.

Since that restart:

- No boot (I assume)/video out. Switched back to Armbian SD. No boot/video out. Tried Orange Pi "Droid" OS, nothing.

- Tried them all again on brand new SD cards. Nada.

- All of my "X" to HDMI adapters and HDMI out had been functional before, now I got nothing nowhere.

- On power, red light on board and my fan fire up, but nothing else. No lights on Ethernet port when it's connected.

- Tried to get back into MaskROM mode to see if something was up in there, but board not found. 

- Argh.

@ZBGB Sounds like you wrote the wrong image to the SPI flash (mtdblock0). You could check the serial port with baudrate @1500000 (not every ftdi adapter is capable at this baudrate). I did that once and couldn't recover it so I shorted the data pins of the SPI flash while having a sd with armbian on it inserted, after that it booted from the sd card and I was able to write the right image to the spi 

I know this is infant level difficulty -- but before I do something else stupid... shorting SPI is just jumping PIN 23 to GRND correct? So...

1) Power off - Install jumper

2) Install clean SD flash

3) Power on - Remove jumper

4) Erase SPI flash

5) Happy baby

Correct?

OPI 5 SPI FLASH SHORT.jpg

@ZBGB As you could see in the schematics, the pins of the spi flash are not connected to the pin header. So what I did was with a small knife underneath/side of the spi flash. Check the manual and schematics for the location. It's 1.8v so don't connect with a pin from the pin header or something else.

I had to try a few times before I had 2 pins shorted to make the memory unreadable and let it pick the next source (sd-card).

After that you should indeed erase the flash and write with armbian-install the right image.

@ZBGB That probably won't do much, pin 7 is the reset pin which have to be brought to low to reset, so touch pin 7 with the grounding clip should work I think.

I took, pin 6-7.

Pin 5 is data in, touching that pin with the grounding clip shall probably also work.

@royk I haven't had a chance to track down all my arduino stuff, it must have gotten mixed into the giant bin of drone FCs/PCBs. New serial adapter coming tomorrow. I've always just used Windows to flash SD's w/Etcher. Except I used OPi's SDtool or whatever for the Android flashes. Arm flash I've been using is: Armbian_23.02.2_Orangepi5_jammy_legacy_5.10.110_cinnamon_desktop

I'll wait and see what I can read from the serial. When I couldn't find my board, I figured I'd just try out your solution since everything you described made logical sense based on all the criterion. 

I did notice however, that I only pulled 1.6V @ PIN 8... I've typically used a 5V/3A power supply and never had any issues. Could underpowering the SPI prevent me from resetting it maybe?

24.03.2023 в 17:03, ZBGB сказал:

Could underpowering the SPI prevent me from resetting it maybe?

I got into the same situation - I recorded my test u-boot in MTD and got a brick. :)

I managed to restore the startup - close the lower right contact (5) to the ground and turn on the power (an SD card with a working system is connected). When the output appears on the UART, the contacts are released. After starting the system, immediately erased MTD (dd if=dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock0).

Question - who has information about the u-boot structure for MTD in OPI5?

2 часа назад, yasser farman сказал:

including the connecting contact 5 to the ground and turning it on , yet nothing , any suggestions ?

An SD card with a working system (with a working u-boot) must be installed in the device. Closing contacts only blocks the launch of u-boot from SPI (switches the launch to the SD card) and does not change anything \ does not erase in SPI. Cleaning SPI\MTD is performed from the system running from the SD card.