Make lowest download speed limit configurable

Go to solution Solved by hzyitc,

Currently lowest download speed limit is hardcoded to 500k (build/lib/functions/general/downloads.sh, line 79)

--lowest-speed-limit=500K

As I build my first image, I hit a lot of times this limit 🙈

image.png.4ccf85e194f723684e7ebfbd95f4b621.png

Wouldn't be nice if this limit was configurable? I'm willing to try to implement it myself.

• Should I create an issue on Jira or GitHub or is the forum the right place to discuss it?
  • Where would be the right place to add this parameter? userpatches/config-default.conf?
Edited by atone

I also had this issue the last time I reinstalled the build-system.

I have a 18MBit line, but do not get from all servers >= 500Kb sec.

It depends on the country.

As Iam in turkey - most servers are very slow and if I have the chance (like on debian install) I choose the servers in Germany which are much faster for me (up to 1800Kb/sec), but armbian didnt let choose me :(

This download function certainly needs to be addressed in some way. On a side note - with upgrading to NEXT, all external compilers are go away.

18 hours ago, atone said:

Should I create an issue on Jira

We would like to keep those things in Jira (invite was sent to your email, feel free to tackle/improve info on any other issue)

16 часов назад, atone сказал:

As I build my first image, I hit a lot of times this limit 

This is not a mistake. This is not a very good way to get around some of the providers' restrictions on the download speed for the end user. If the download speed is less than specified in the limit, then the connection breaks and an attempt is made to download from the following address. We can pre-check the speed of distribution from a specific address, but we will not be able to do a download speed check for your specific provider. For example, a provider can provide a high download speed for the first 50-100 megabytes from the download address, and then reduces the download speed to 20 kilobytes/sec. The existing algorithm in this situation allows for faster loading. The downside of this is getting error messages.

@atone The only option for changes can only be if we add an additional global variable that can be defined at the very beginning of the path, instead of having to program the value 500.

For your case, 400-450 will be the optimal value.

For my case, it will have a different meaning.

If you make this fix, then I approve this pull request.

• Solution

This's for cdn selection. When we try to download from a slow cdn, we can disconnect it fastly and try another one.

In your screenshot, we can also confirm this. You are downloading form some slow servers, which only get about 300KB. After disconnect from them, it will try the other server and your download speed up.

What's more, the script will remember the server stats (https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/lib/functions/general/downloads.sh#L62-L63). So in next download, aria2 will choose the fastest server.