Advice for compiling Mesa?

fredrum

Hello!

Does anyone, and by anyone I probably really mean @balbes150  :D,  know what I need to do when building official Mesa for it to be recognized in the experimental 6.x kernel environment?

There's a panfrost focused dev/staging branch that the panfrost devs are using that I would love to try and be able to build for OPi5 but when I do it I always just get llvm.

balbes, you are managing to get the GPU recognized would you be able to share how that's done in the building? I'm not asking for you to provide a build I would just love to know how you do it so I can as well and test the new versions as they happen.

This is the branch and commits btw that I read on 'the internet' that its the bleeding edge for rk3588/Mali g610 mesa.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/panfrost/mesa/-/commits/panfrost/v10-wip

Iv'e successfully built that mesa branch and took the latest commits but the gpu is still not recognized so there must be a trick I'm missing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers!

Edited by fredrum

3 часа назад, fredrum сказал:

Iv'e successfully built that mesa branch and took the latest commits but the gpu is still not recognized so there must be a trick I'm missing.

on which system are you trying to run this ? use the current version of this theme, there's a kernel that can work with the new mesa.

I am currently using your 20230331-current image.

Should I upgrade to one of your later ones?

I had the smae issue before with getting the GPU recognized and not sure why.
Could it be because I install to /usr/lib  ?

I do edit some ld config files and do 'sudo ldconfig' and it does make the system pick up my own built mesa but always with llvm.

I did get GPU with a mesa build you linked to and I just copied straight to the default repo system folder.

Could it just be the folder where I install it?

Edited by fredrum

17 часов назад, fredrum сказал:

I am currently using your 20230331-current image.

Should I upgrade to one of your later ones?

For variants where active code revision is used, it is always recommended to use the latest versions, they include the latest development changes. It is important that these versions are recommended for experienced users who understand that together with the latest features they get a high chance of bugs.

17 часов назад, fredrum сказал:

Could it just be the folder where I install it?

use the latest version of DEB mesa installation 

dplg -i --force-overwrite  mesa_23.2.0-devel-1_arm64.deb

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/oJI49bfNzhxfmw

I juust installed this mesa pkg mesa_23.2.0  per dpkg --force.   My rock5b now runs much better than the orig mesa which was using some llvm based cpu/gpu combo. 

Host: rock-5b Kernel: 6.2.0-rc1-station-m3 arch: aarch64 bits: 64
    Desktop: GNOME v: 44.3 Distro: Ubuntu 23.04 (Lunar Lobster)
Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 1.22.1.8 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.8
    compositor: gnome-shell driver: X: loaded: modesetting dri: rockchip
    gpu: dw-dp,dwhdmi-rockchip,rockchip-drm,rockchip-vop2
    resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 3.1 Mesa 23.2.0-devel (git-8aa5ca2f01)
    renderer: Mali-G610 (Panfrost)

Now to make this setup current I request a rebuild of the April mesa pkg  to 23.x.x and upgrade kernel rock-5b 6.2.0-rc1-station-m3 #23.02.3 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Apr 19  to 6.6rc4.   If not interested then I'll use this as is for a while.  Its quite nice and performant.  Hexchat broke so Im thinking some apps wont like a non-rebuilt gnome. Gnome (the whole img) should be rebuilt based on the upgraded mesa.

This too is do to april mesa source was flawed.

gnome-shell[2663]: Failed to create scanout resource
Oct 05 11:55:42 rock-5b gnome-shell[2663]: DRM_IOCTL_MODE_CREATE_DUMB failed: Permission denied

Edited by archetech

14 часов назад, archetech сказал:

to 6.6rc4.

If this is a core from my EDGE images, there is no pancsf support in this core, acceleration will not work. Or are you using your 6.6 kernel with the pancsf driver added ?

If you use the latest version of CURRENT and install the specified DEB with mesa, the acceleration should work.