Serial Console Baud Rate

mountainman

I'm a newbie. Got the NanoPi R1 that sports a UART but no Video Output. Now when I want to read the output of the serial console I need a 3-wire cable and a converter, that much I know. But what is the baud rate?

1. Where is this configured on the armbian NanoPiR1 image (on my raspberry Pi I just checked and found the file /boot/cmdline.txt with that settings, in my case it's 115200)
  2. Why is the baud rate nowhere documented? On the download page https://www.armbian.com/nanopi-r1/ it is stated that "serial console is enabled on UART1, which is exposed on chasis"  :thumbup:, but no hint about which speed to use.
  3. There neither is any info about the baud rate on the friendlyelec site where they provide various OS images for download. Plenty of documentation on how to wire the serial cable though.
  4. Is there a kind of industry standard that everyone knows and therefore it is not necessary to include it in the how-to guides. Or are we supposed to try every rate from 9600 upward until we get readable output?

Thanks. So far I couldn't get my NanoPi to work, it just blinks red, and I haven't seen anything on the console too. It's a brick, possible defective hardware.

Maybe it became too common knowledge that the following baud rates are most common:

Amlogic and Allwinner SoCs: 115200

Rockchip SoCs: 1500000

And yes, this could be documented somewhere if it isn't already on docs.armbian.com