Please add support for FireFly ITX-3588J

Go to solution Solved by balbes150,

Please add support for the FireFly ITX-3588J.

Note that the Armbian Station M3 latest UEFI image boots unmodified on an SD card on this hardware, with working picture on one of the HDMI ports. (But no USB) So the partition structure is ok.

20230428-EDK2-EFI-current/Armbian_23.04_Station-m3_sid_current_6.2.0.img.xz

So it is already close to a usable image once the relevant device tree bits are swapped out.

I am not 100% sure the details yet of the uboot they ship, or even how to just install the uboot part to emmc but when I flashed the complete Debian 11 "firmware" they provide on the website link to the EMMC (using the linux command line loader program over usb-c) it has the uboot that will boot the uefi image from SD card.

Note that 32G RAM+256G EMMC configuration is now shipping also on FireFly 3588 hardware. I asked them nicely way back in like November to give us 256GB emmc instead of 128GB. 🙂

3 часа назад, netthier сказал:

Also interested in this. I own an ITX-3588J that I could test images on.

I got the equipment, if everything goes according to plan, there will be an option for testing soon.

The info will be on the Firefly (Geek Forums - StationPC)

ver edk2-efi kernel 6.2 + mesa-23 (pancsf)

user@firefly-itx-3588j:~$ glmark2-es2-wayland 
=======================================================
    glmark2 2021.02
    OpenGL Information
    GL_VENDOR:     Mesa
    GL_RENDERER:   Mali-G610 (Panfrost)
    GL_VERSION:    OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 23.2.0-devel (git-8aa5ca2f01)
[build] use-vbo=false: FPS: 4457 FrameTime: 0.224 ms
[build] use-vbo=true: FPS: 5987 FrameTime: 0.167 ms
[texture] texture-filter=nearest: FPS: 6159 FrameTime: 0.162 ms
[texture] texture-filter=linear: FPS: 6215 FrameTime: 0.161 ms
[texture] texture-filter=mipmap: FPS: 6110 FrameTime: 0.164 ms
[shading] shading=gouraud: FPS: 5176 FrameTime: 0.193 ms
[shading] shading=blinn-phong-inf: FPS: 4849 FrameTime: 0.206 ms
[shading] shading=phong: FPS: 4389 FrameTime: 0.228 ms
[shading] shading=cel: FPS: 4431 FrameTime: 0.226 ms
[bump] bump-render=high-poly: FPS: 2161 FrameTime: 0.463 ms
[bump] bump-render=normals: FPS: 6730 FrameTime: 0.149 ms
[bump] bump-render=height: FPS: 6675 FrameTime: 0.150 ms
[effect2d] kernel=0,1,0;1,-4,1;0,1,0;: FPS: 5899 FrameTime: 0.170 ms
[effect2d] kernel=1,1,1,1,1;1,1,1,1,1;1,1,1,1,1;: FPS: 2946 FrameTime: 0.339 ms
[pulsar] light=false:quads=5:texture=false: FPS: 6197 FrameTime: 0.161 ms
[desktop] blur-radius=5:effect=blur:passes=1:separable=true:windows=4: FPS: 1584 FrameTime: 0.631 ms
[desktop] effect=shadow:windows=4: FPS: 4124 FrameTime: 0.242 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=false:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=map: FPS: 550 FrameTime: 1.818 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=false:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=subdata: FPS: 563 FrameTime: 1.776 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=true:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=map: FPS: 711 FrameTime: 1.406 ms
[ideas] speed=duration: FPS: 2309 FrameTime: 0.433 ms
[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 2977 FrameTime: 0.336 ms
[terrain] <default>: FPS: 195 FrameTime: 5.128 ms
[shadow] <default>: FPS: 2940 FrameTime: 0.340 ms
[refract] <default>: FPS: 455 FrameTime: 2.198 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=0:vertex-steps=0: FPS: 5845 FrameTime: 0.171 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=5:vertex-steps=0: FPS: 5401 FrameTime: 0.185 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=0:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 5759 FrameTime: 0.174 ms
[function] fragment-complexity=low:fragment-steps=5: FPS: 5473 FrameTime: 0.183 ms
[function] fragment-complexity=medium:fragment-steps=5: FPS: 5021 FrameTime: 0.199 ms
[loop] fragment-loop=false:fragment-steps=5:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 5413 FrameTime: 0.185 ms
[loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=false:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 5463 FrameTime: 0.183 ms
[loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=true:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 5076 FrameTime: 0.197 ms
                                  glmark2 Score: 4189 

I tested both the Debian 5.10 and 6.2 xfce sid images.

Armbian_23.06_Firefly-itx-3588j_sid_current_6.2.0_xfce_desktop (616)

Armbian_23.06_Firefly-itx-3588j_sid_legacy_5.10.110_xfce_desktop (619)

Both booted successfully but on different video ports. (legacy image tested on usb-c, 6.2 tested dual hdmi output)
Didn't test all of them but it seems all usb ports work.
Sata works, and so did ethernet and the blue leds.

Note (for others reading this) that on the first boot of a fresh image you won't see any LED activity until the partition is finished resizing. This is different than stock image.

Unfortunately the fan isn't working on either image. Going to look into that tonight. This really needs to be fixed before other people start using it.

The good news is you need to work that chip to get it to overheat.

Also the wi-fi isn't working on either image.

Now on that 6.2 image I've started installing lots of things and testing it out a bit more.
It seems much more stable than the old factory Debian image that firefly provides. (much harder to get it to crash)
I am able to boot into the cinnamon desktop (both normal and software rendering) for example and it doesn't crash.
When I plug the bottom HDMI into a 5k monitor it is able to run 5120x2160 30Hz ok single screen, but second hdmi will fail due to shared resources. Dual HDMI monitors is working as long as the resolution isn't too high on each one.

Edit: Also those images showed "Station M3" in a few places still.

Edited by BillFleming

1 час назад, BillFleming сказал:

Unfortunately the fan isn't working on either image

In the LEGACY image (20230620), I can see how the fan turns on for a second when turned off. I have not yet been able to load the device to reach a temperature above 65 degrees in order to evaluate the operation of the fan under load.

Also the wi-fi isn't working on either image.

On the latest legacy version (20230620), I see the availability of available networks in the network management interface. Wi-fi has the lowest priority for me, I don't check and test it.

Edit: Also those images showed "Station M3" in a few places still.

This is as it should be, this is a common group for all 3588.

Any updates? I see you have posted some new images, but do you have instructions on how I can build the image myself? I want to customize the kernel a bit (include binder_linux and ashmem_linux included so I can run Android images in it) so wondering how I can do so.

To build the current version kernel or images install a Debian 12 or LMDE6 VM on an x86_PC. Then do:

apt-get -y install git
git clone --depth=1 --branch=armbian-tv https://github.com/150balbes/build.git
cd build

./compile.sh  BOARD=firefly-itx-3588j BRANCH=current BUILD_MINIMAL=no BUILD_DESKTOP=no BUILD_ONLY=u-boot,kernel,armbian-config,armbian-zsh,plymouth-theme-armbian,armbian-firmware,armbian-bsp KERNEL_CONFIGURE=yes

This will build just the 6.2 kernel and uboot. You will also still need to enable virtualization/KVM in the 6.2 kernel as it isn't selected.

To make a full Debian sid SD card image you do something like this, but I haven't tried it yet. You need to modify a config file in the subfolders to get normal Debian 12.

./compile.sh  BOARD=firefly-itx-3588j BRANCH=current BUILD_MINIMAL=no BUILD_DESKTOP=yes BUILD_ONLY=default KERNEL_CONFIGURE=yes

There is ongoing work in the upstream Armbian to update the rockchip kernel for 6.5 and above, but currently it doesn't boot on 3588 boards.

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/5657

After someone gets it booting on a more mainstream 3588 board then someone needs to be bribed to update the device tree files for the firefly ITX board. They apparently renamed the power related sections (among other things) in the new kernels. Going to the upcoming 6.7 rc if using the Collabora kernel there would be a (relatively) very small number of patches required to boot a 3588 board, but we still need to get device trees updated for all of them. If other boards get upstreamed I can maybe work on the DST stuff around Thanksgiving where hopefully they have some other boards working on 6.6 or 6.7 by then....

11.11.2023 в 17:21, BillFleming сказал:

kernel for 6.5 and above

For Firefly ITX-3588j  images with the 6.5 kernel + panthorn have been available for a long time, including Libreelec images with working HDMI sound.

https://bbs.stationpc.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=411&pid=1532&fromuid=636914