Bookworm 6.1.30 - wi-fi don't work.

Energokom

Yeah, just noticed this myself.

I was pleased that Armbian 23.05 started up just fine on my Orange Pi Zero (H3 LTS), seeing as other discussions had said that Allwinner 32bit was not working.

Wireless is definitely not working OOTB, however. I updated firmware in armbian-config, but the Networking options don't show a wifi option. Neither ifconfig nor nmtui-connect list a wireless interface. No messages from xradio in dmesg.

I think maybe I saw a mention in an old forum post that the xradio driver doesn't work with kernel 6.x, so maybe that's it? Or maybe it's just not set up quite right? Or maybe there's something that users need to do in order to get it working?

In spite of the terrible reputation of the xradio driver, it was working adequately for me in Armbian bullseye. Very much hope that I can get it working in latest Armbian!

Edited by mc510

I see that there's a task called "Enable xradio on Kernel 6.1" so I guess that suggests that some special work was/is needed.

I don't know how to read the notes, but it kind of looks like this fix is targeted for Armbian 23.08, so the next stable release in August.

Also https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/4682 suggests that this is targeted for 23.08

Hope this information is helpful to any other OPi0 users who are surprised to find wifi missing in Armbian 23.05.

Edited by mc510

9 hours ago, mc510 said:

xradio driver doesn't work with kernel 6.x

That is correct. Many people already tried to fix this, I also spent few days but more I can't ... but I got information that someone else succeeded and its "just" integration and testing. But there are more problems to be resolved before cheapest WiFi on one board. Perhaps in 23.08, but in free software we can't give promises.

1 hour ago, Energokom said:

Wi-fi on the built-in chip could not be started?

Read below

On 6/22/2023 at 7:54 AM, Igor said:

That is correct. Many people already tried to fix this, I also spent few days but more I can't ... but I got information that someone else succeeded and its "just" integration and testing. But there are more problems to be resolved before cheapest WiFi on one board. Perhaps in 23.08, but in free software we can't give promises.

20 hours ago, Energokom said:

23.08 is now. So I asked

If you opt for 1 year for Community Hero, you are not going to cover damages your request made to our non-profit organisation:

https://forum.armbian.com/subscriptions/ 

We fixed the problem and it will be released when possible.

root@orangepizero:~# iperf3 -c 192.168.29.129
Connecting to host 192.168.29.129, port 5201
[  5] local 192.168.29.132 port 41820 connected to 192.168.29.129 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr  Cwnd
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  2.08 MBytes  17.5 Mbits/sec    0    106 KBytes       
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  1.93 MBytes  16.2 Mbits/sec    0    136 KBytes       
[  5]   2.00-3.00   sec  1.86 MBytes  15.6 Mbits/sec    0    136 KBytes       
[  5]   3.00-4.00   sec  1.68 MBytes  14.1 Mbits/sec    0    136 KBytes       
[  5]   4.00-5.00   sec  1.86 MBytes  15.6 Mbits/sec    0    143 KBytes       
[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec  1.86 MBytes  15.6 Mbits/sec    0    143 KBytes       
[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec  2.05 MBytes  17.2 Mbits/sec    0    182 KBytes       
[  5]   7.00-8.00   sec  1.99 MBytes  16.7 Mbits/sec    0    228 KBytes       
[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec  1.74 MBytes  14.6 Mbits/sec    0    228 KBytes       

Unfortunately, some of us are too stupid and can't handle not typing in `apt upgrade` to get the new shiny.

To revert the damage, boot into the serial console and run

sudo apt-get install linux-image-current-sunxi=23.02.2 armbian-firmware=23.02.2 armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero=23.02.2

And then to prevent upgrade aquisition syndrome from ruining your life again:

sudo apt-mark hold linux-image-current-sunxi armbian-firmware armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero

Looks like this is the patch: https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/03dd4d02df16083c8902613a6338c2f292e6ccee https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/46e756540eb01cbefb31cad744e04afc4282e0e0. There haven't been any tags in this repo since February, so it's not easy to tell what releases this package is in, but I think it's in all available nightly packages.

I was able to upgrade with the following commands (to avoid any extra packages from being updated):

echo 'deb http://beta.armbian.com bullseye main bullseye-utils bullseye-desktop' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian-beta.list
printf 'Package: *\nPin: origin beta.armbian.com\nPin-Priority: 10\n\nPackage: armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero armbian-firmware linux-image-current-sunxi linux-dtb-current-sunxi\nPin: origin beta.armbian.com\nPin-Priority: 501' | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/armbian-beta.pref
sudo apt-mark unhold armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero armbian-firmware linux-image-current-sunxi linux-dtb-current-sunxi
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

I can confirm that this has fixed the wifi--thank you for the tip! @Gunjan Gupta

Edited by Freedom8930

10 minutes ago, Freedom8930 said:

That was an early attempt to enable xradio in edge kernel. But that actually didn't worked out. The working fix is here - https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/46e756540eb01cbefb31cad744e04afc4282e0e0

Great news that the xradio fix has been released 😀!  Based on this news I have used armbian-config to unfreeze kernel/firmware updates on my 23.02 installation. After apt upgrade and reboot I am on kernel 6.1.53 and wifi is working. But boot message says I'm still on 23.02, and apt says that armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero is being held back.

sudo apt install armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero-current : Depends: base-files (>= 23.8.3) but 23.8.1-bullseye is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Edited by mc510

2 hours ago, Андрей Солодухин said:

orange pi zero 3

Armbian does not support this device. This topic is also not about zero3 but the original zero which has exactly zero (lol) in common with the zero3.