bananapim5, jammy install, updated yesterday, lost video after grub screen

gene1934

Greetings all;

I have a pile of bananapi-m5's, all used behind a home.arpa local network.

I am the only one here, and no one but me will ever have access to these machines.

So I need full access from any other machine on my local network.

I updated one that I am slowly configuring to drive a bigger enter5+ 3d printer.

New mobo in the rinter so I am starting from square one.

Using klipper and mainsail as web interfaces to klipper.

Now it goes to a no screen condition at about the time it used to bring up the login requester,

but I can still access it via ssh -X me & my pw.,

but don't have full access cuz x or whatever is not running.

I need it to be running a full desktop, which it was prior to the upgrade a day or so

back but after I login from its own keyboard. The ssh -X login I have now has not even run udev,

so klipper can't find the printer which is identified as its /dev/serial/by_id, but there is not a /dev/serial now.

So, how do I make an uptodate Jammy install, think I've logged in to a fully working desktop? rpi4b's do it.

Thanks all,  Take care & stay well

is this  forum live???  No answers to my plea for help, in about 24 hours,, so I downloaded and wrote to its sd card the latest cinnamon desktop editing hostame, hosts, and network/interfaces to match its former self before I put the sd card back in it and powered up. It expanded the filesystem, then asked me for a root pw, then asked me to for my own name & passwd, generated by env of EN-utf8 then announced it was starting the X server. 5 seconds later the hdmi monitor goes black, 30 seconds later the hdmi monitor announces no signal and goes to sleep. Powerdown to reboot, asks me for my pw and shuts down the monitor again. No network comes up so now I'm totally lost, so I turn it off, pull the card, mount it here and see if there is anything in the Xorg.0.log, does not exist.

So back to /home/gene/.xsession-errors. can't find a monitor, so I change it for a bigger, older aoc , take the card, after ejecting in from this box, and retry with that monitor. Normal display while booting but at startx time, blanks this one for ever too, reporting no signal before it powers down.  .xsession-errors: from that card after bringing it back to this machine: attached, what is this install missing?

Thank you for any help.

xsession-errors

14 minutes ago, gene1934 said:

No answers to my plea for help

26 minutes ago, gene1934 said:

in about 24 hours

:( Winning a lottery at request? Expecting the impossible? ...

Point of forums is asynchronous (days - months) communication and due to the extreme complexity this project is dealing with, such expectation is, sorry to say it, just crazy. Even in most popular / trivial areas. Capacity is limited. Most of people here are seeking for help while debugging and answering to that help require a lot of time, often extreme efforts (in exchange for sorrow, frustration, humiliation, aggression) on the other end. You have a problem, you shared it. That is what this forum is. Then perhaps just wait? Sometimes answer comes next day, sometimes next month, sometimes never. And this is since ever and there is little I can do. If this project would be making millions, I would hire people to support you like Raspberry Pi foundation does ... and still we are looking at much bigger complexity, so having their capacity would not be enough.

Developers, those who can understand and look beyond the problem, are not always available. Just here and there. Personally, I am on a road trip and even when I will be back to the office, I am over the top with problems not just for days, but for months. Even I would be very much like to help you, I can't possibly do that in 24h.

On the project level, there is no way to secure responsibility that is generally expected. Even we would be properly financed. I hope you understand my pain and frustration as there is not much we can do to improve this forum response rate. Contrary. The more (complex) stuff that will land on the market, hardest will be to respond. Producing new and new hardware is cheap.

1 hour ago, gene1934 said:

is this  forum live?

I can give you proof that its alive, but can't answer to the question, provide solution. I have no idea what is behind the problem, so there is not even a hint I could give you. Except, try older images, record bug to Jira, so those few people that maintains this place, will try to (!) fix this withing upcoming release.

Patience & have a nice day. Apologize if being harsh.

I have, on site these images.

-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene      50058 Aug 20 01:34 1
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene 4412407808 Aug 18 09:17 2023-05-03-raspios-bullseye-arm64.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene 2378170368 Aug  6 08:18 Armbian_23.5.1_Bananapim5_jammy_current_6.1.30.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene 7042236416 Aug 16 12:35 Armbian_23.5.1_Bananapim5_jammy_current_6.1.30_xfce_desktop.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene 8459911168 Aug 18 12:57 Armbian_23.5.1_Rpi4b_jammy_current_6.1.29_i3-wm_desktop.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene 6819938304 Aug 21 09:27 Armbian_23.5.63_Bananapim5_bookworm_current_6.1.46_cinnamon_desktop.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene 1631218920 Aug 21 10:38 Armbian_23.5.63_Bananapim5_bookworm_current_6.1.46_cinnamon_desktop.img.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene 6828326912 Oct 28 12:57 Armbian_23.8.1_Bananapim5_bookworm_current_6.1.50_cinnamon_desktop.img
One of those works probably the 6-1-30-xfce but its been updated a couple times a week since installed.
I also have one more bpi-m5 of unk condition I could try. Its beginning to look like I ought to get more of these.

Thank you. but plz look at the xsession-erors I posted  for anything obvious I've missed.

xsession-errors

I'm back again, different bpi-m5, same problem but with the new Dec 5th cinnamon release., loses video at xstart time. So I added the extraargs iine for a 1080 HDMI, still goes away right on schedule..

First boot script was not deleted so I added the network stuff as directed, but apparently it only exec's once anyway, no response to  ping directed at the address I put in. Should I re-write the card but edit those 2 files before first boot, or am I spinning my wheels?.

The led is blinking regularly like its alive, Good 5 volt 5 amp supply I can adjust up a tenth or so if that would help.