Raspberry pi 5 video hardware acceleration not working / vcgemcmd commands are failing

otalado

I installed Armbian  from Armbian_23.11.3_Rpi5b_jammy_current_6.1.68_cinnamon_desktop.img.xz downloaded today (February 11th 24)

After installation, I performed an upgrade/update. I have not yet installed any additional software.

Issues;

1) when cinnamon desktop starts there is message displayed: Your system is currently running without video hardware acceleration 

2) vgencmd always gives an error:  VCHI initialization failed, no matter if I run it with sudo or not, or with which parameter(s) I run it.

armbian monitor -u gave link https://paste.armbian.com/lurunopoyo

I have to admit that I missed this one.

Unfortunately, it does not help me because when I follow the steps, I end up with:

E: The value 'unstable' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

So far I haven't found a workaround on Google ...

20 minutes ago, otalado said:

I have to admit that I missed this one.

Unfortunately, it does not help me because when I follow the steps, I end up with:

E: The value 'unstable' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

So far I haven't found a workaround on Google ...

It was confirmed working with Debian Bookworm based images. For Ubuntu Jammy you need to find a way to backport Mesa driver for Noble (try nobble instead of unstable) and it will also (probably) work.

Thanks for the suggestion Igor, but I haven't tried it, because I decided to switch to Bookworm before I read it, and then was too late. When I installed the Armbian_23.11.3_Rpi5b_bookworm_current_6.1.68_cinnamon_desktop.img I did not get the complaint about the acceleration. I installed the MESA v23.2, it went without a

glitch! 

Unfortunately, a vcgencmd cmd fails the same way as in Jammy (i.e. VCHI initialization failed).  I depend on vcgencmd to measure CPU temperature for cooling fan control, so I'll have to switch to some other way for fan control.

Thanks for your help!