CSC Armbian for RK322x TV box boards

jock

53 minutes ago, fabiobassa said:

And all your questions again confirm me that people try explain and give you hint and you dont even read or follow the answer.

In the First post there Is written that uart is 1.5 m (1.500.000) and you asking if 115200 Is good ?????????

Serious ???

I'm asking if  it's right how I have trying to link UART to usb and how set putty parameters to see the output.

In first post (inside section what works) is written "Serial UART (configured at 115200 bps, not 1.5Mbps!)", you in an older post have written the same thing, now You tell me that 115200 is wrong... What is the right value?

Hi N3O

i think there a missunderstanding  both are right

it depends on what you want

the real first boot loader talk at 1.5M than the UART get change by the bootloader from NAND or SD card or android to 115200

you only need to UART -> UART-USB-> USB of windowsPC or linux and a tool like Putty or Kitty

you dont need connect UART back to box or male male cable for normal Logs

the male male cable only for hard flash new bootloader or recovery with another PC with a rockchip tool

On 2/25/2023 at 9:31 PM, jock said:

Paste the serial output logs here; without them, we're blind

@RaptorSDS I should capture the serial output and write here to @jock

because I must load multitool to check if I have only nand or nand + eMMC.

so I have found that it's necessary usb-ttl adapter...and I have discover that ch341a that I already have can do it... if You tell "you dont need connect UART back to box or male male cable for normal Logs" how can I get serial outputs logs?

@n3o, hello, I was suggesting android to get your logs:

1.in android, download a terminal emulator app

2.in the app type: dmesg

3.the logs will appear, then copy and paste the parts you need.

Anyway it seems now you don't need it.

@ochentay4, OK , I have suggested that way because to me it seemed the best to your situation, basically you would have a mix of libreelec boot files, and armbian file system. anyway good luck

18 hours ago, fangis said:

@n3o, hello, I was suggesting android to get your logs:

1.in android, download a terminal emulator app

2.in the app type: dmesg

3.the logs will appear, then copy and paste the parts you need.

Anyway it seems now you don't need it.

Hi, I don't know if Android still boot (last time it was in recovery mode). However, the logs showed on terminal app are the same of logs asked by @jock?

@RaptorSDS the difference between stock boot loader speed and new bootloader speed is written here 

and not in first post 

is correct txt, rx and gnd UART and usb otg port highlighted in the image?

Edited by n3o

9 hours ago, n3o said:

Hi, I don't know if Android still boot (last time it was in recovery mode). However, the logs showed on terminal app are the same of logs asked by @jock?

Hello ! the dmesg log is for the kernel messages. I think the serial log gets these and even earlier messages from the bootloaders.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb n3o:

@RaptorSDS the difference between stock boot loader speed and new bootloader speed is written here 

yes red are UART

please use 3,3V on you ch341 adapter

rx tx should be cross -->  , tx form usb to rx from board , and rx from usb to tx from board , GND to GND

you can not break anything with change of Baud rate , try both and you are fine

the text that run automaticlly on UART is the serial log ,

when nothing or only some unreadable thing is show in putty please change baudrate

than copy the text from putty or other tool and post here for jock ,

also ANdroid will produce a log on UART ( with some diffirence)

many of this serial log also in android terminal demsg log

i dont know the usb port order , for multitool over USB the port is normally irrelevant ,some box need normal USB , some the USB otg , some box hasnt the usb otg

3 hours ago, RaptorSDS said:

yes red are UART

please use 3,3V on you ch341 adapter

rx tx should be cross -->  , tx form usb to rx from board , and rx from usb to tx from board , GND to GND

you can not break anything with change of Baud rate , try both and you are fine

the text that run automaticlly on UART is the serial log ,

when nothing or only some unreadable thing is show in putty please change baudrate

than copy the text from putty or other tool and post here for jock ,

also ANdroid will produce a log on UART ( with some diffirence)

many of this serial log also in android terminal demsg log

i dont know the usb port order , for multitool over USB the port is normally irrelevant ,some box need normal USB , some the USB otg , some box hasnt the usb otg

thank You for answer, as soon as I post serial log, the USB otg link male to male cable isn't necessary to get serial log, but it's necessary when I'll must update bootloader before to install armimage from sd

On 10/5/2022 at 3:11 AM, rafaeldavid said:

@jock, first of all, congratulations for the work and commitment! A lot of work has already been done here (I still haven't been able to read all the content).

I have some questions, if you can help me...

I have an old box and I decided to install Armbian in it to use it with Octoprint for my 3d printer. I have faced some problems, some I managed to solve by reading here, others I didn't. If it is possible for you to clear some of the doubts that have arisen, I would appreciate it.

1. My board is an R29 with rk3228a processor. I read that there is a problem with the HDMI, I couldn't see if they already found a solution.

2. I'm installing via multitool, the problem is that, sometimes, after multitool installs the rom (I install via SSH, because HDMI doesn't work), I can't access it anymore, as if the boot process is stuck. Other times it manages to start, but randomly it crashes. What could this turn out to be?

3. Once I was able to install, but when accessing armbian-config or rk322x-config, it also crashes randomly.

4. When I go to use an apt command, I also have problems with freezing. Sorry if I'm asking something that has already been resolved, but as I mentioned, I still haven't been able to read all the pages.

5. I read on some of the pages that you didn't have R29 cards to study HDMI errors. If you still have problems installing, I'm thinking about getting a box with other hardware. If there is still interest, if I really buy another one, I can be sending this one to you.

Once again, congratulations for the beautiful work and I thank you in advance for any help that appears.

(translated by google, if there are errors, I'm sorry! hehehe)

This is my board model:

https://ibb.co/CVJKpQt
https://ibb.co/FwZZtDf
https://ibb.co/GFxQL47

Wow, October 5th I posted here asking for help... It's been a while! hahahaha

Hey @jock, I disappeared but I was still trying to work with my tv box and I managed to find a solution (or at least a palliative way that is working!)!

Just to remind you: it's a tv box with an RK3228A processor on an R29_5G card. Well, after endless attempts, I found a way to make it work without crashing...

I installed using multitool with "Armbian_22.02.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_bullseye_legacy_4.4.194_minimal" image . I can only access multitool via SSH because, as I mentioned at the time, the HDMI input dies when you turn on multitool (the funny thing is that, if you then reset to the tv box rom, the HDMI works again!). I did the installation normally from SSH.

(PS: if you use the image "Armbian_21.05.1_Rk322x-box_buster_legacy_4.4.194" it recognizes my Wifi 6256P (2.4 and 5.0), the one I installed didn't recognize it, but I was too lazy to reinstall everything just to test!)

After restarting the device, it had random crashes, sometimes when turning on, sometimes when using rk322x-config, sometimes when updating the OS. What solved my problem was, when I was able to access armbian-config, I changed the processor parameters. Its default speed is 1.2Ghz (RK3228A).

I limited the processor speed between 400000 and 1000000 (options that appeared there up to the limit of 1200000) and put it in performance mode. I restarted the device and voila! No more random crashes (not even punctual until now!!!)! I already installed the server for my 3d printer and everything is working wonderfully!

I can't say if the problem is the processor clock that is not reaching the maximum (when it tries, it freezes), if my processor is fake or what happens, but here, at least, it worked!

Brought it here in case anyone else is getting angry, just like I did!

(Again, sorry if there are any mistakes, my English is via google translator! Hahahaha)

Captura de tela 2023-03-07 043110.png

Edited by rafaeldavid

@rafaeldavid I actually don't remember what exactly we discussed about the last time, but surely R29 boards have this long-time HDMI issue I could not inspect because have no such board and noone provided one to study.

For the clock issue, I don't remember if I suggested you to use the cpu-stability (both with 1.2 or 1.4 ghz max frequency) overlay and see if it makes any difference.

What I could guess about is that there are some board whose power regulation design in "slow" to bring up voltage in time for the frequency change, so random crashes happens.

The overlay will raise the lowest voltage from 0.900v to 1.100v, so the gap with max voltage (1.35v) is shorter.

I have a board with such kind of issue right here, and that overlay made it work flawlessy.

5 hours ago, jock said:

@rafaeldavid I actually don't remember what exactly we discussed about the last time, but surely R29 boards have this long-time HDMI issue I could not inspect because have no such board and noone provided one to study.

For the clock issue, I don't remember if I suggested you to use the cpu-stability (both with 1.2 or 1.4 ghz max frequency) overlay and see if it makes any difference.

What I could guess about is that there are some board whose power regulation design in "slow" to bring up voltage in time for the frequency change, so random crashes happens.

The overlay will raise the lowest voltage from 0.900v to 1.100v, so the gap with max voltage (1.35v) is shorter.

I have a board with such kind of issue right here, and that overlay made it work flawlessy.

It's been a while since I asked.

I went to read the posts again and nothing was mentioned about this voltage overlay. I have no idea how to change that! Hehehe

On 3/5/2023 at 4:49 PM, jock said:

@ochentay4 I set up a multitool image with the same fix proposed by @ilmich on his libreelec image. This fresh build is totally untested, but you can download a copy from here and test by yourself. Perhaps this solves @n3o problem too.

Thanks Jock, sadly, it wont boot or show anything on screen. On the other hand, "LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-10.0-nightly-20230306-088ac81-rk322x.img.gz" seems to boot and work fine. Let me know if there is any other test to try.

19 hours ago, ochentay4 said:

Thanks Jock, sadly, it wont boot or show anything on screen. On the other hand, "LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-10.0-nightly-20230306-088ac81-rk322x.img.gz" seems to boot and work fine. Let me know if there is any other test to try.

Hmmm that's odd, I applied the same "fix" @ilmich applied on libreelec but it didn't work. The serial log output could have been very handy here; we will think about what could be wrong and maybe some other idea may pop up.

Hello fellow rk322x-hackers.

I have a question: is hardware video decoding finally supported in this chip on the latest nightly builds ?
Is there a binary mpv that works with accelerated GPU decoding for h264/hevc for these rx322x boxes ?
I see @ilmich released a libreelec 11 with kernel 6.1 for the box, and works well,but LIbreELEC is not suited for my purposes, I just need a barebones linux (cli environment) with a working mpv with hardware decoding functional.

Is it possible/available anywhere ? Is it included in the nightly builds ?

Thanks a lot.

@Vittorio Mori Hardware video decoding is available since kernel 5.10 on armbian, thanks to libreelec patches, but the userland part is a bit worrysome.

You can try with this, but it is a very old post and very old binaries that probably don't work on recent kernel because it is more than one year old.

The problem is that ffmpeg never really stabilized the v4l2-request kernel api, thus you have to compile the libreelec patches version and then supply the static libraries to mpv to gain hardware video decoding via v4l2-request.

I don't know if recent ffmpeg 6.0 release include working support for v4l2-request or there is the need to still use the libreelec patched version.

Thanks @jock. I already tried the mpv binaries you compiled, long ago, and could not make them work properly.Dependencies also were a pain and the whole thing seemed too unstable for the use case I need (i.e. get ad udp video stream from the network and playt it). LIbreelec works, but has a weird lag problem with network streams, it always gets a 4/5 seconds delay, whatever parameters I use.

LIbreelec on x86_64 does not have this problem, mpv on x86_64 w/VAAPI on Intel/AMD works perfectly/realtime with skinny distros (i.e. Alpine LInux or similar). 

Since libreelec/kodi/xbmc it's an old-school binary "frankenstein" blob that was born on consoles (xbox) it's  impossible to launch a proper mpv inside it, or stop the interface from loading, and a lot of parameters are hardcoded in the binary itself.

Libreleec developers are also extremely proud of their ultra-patched binary Golem creature they worship and do not want to assist anyone with a small mpv binary, which would be trivial to add, and that sucks.

I'd love to compile a working ffmpeg/mpv for rockchip 322x: I think it should be this github: https://github.com/jernejsk/FFmpeg   
but it
's totally unclear if it's the ffmpeg I need, since there is a TON of information scattered around forums that contradict each other and is a total mess.

I'm -sadly- buying x86_64 hardware for my project, since this rockchip h264/hevc hardware acceleration thing has grown into a messy hairball of patches that "should work" but nobody knows how and -as of today - there are no userland tools to use it.

Ciao Vittorio,

Libreelec follows its own philosophy and I agree with the patch argument because it took me a while to figure it out too.
But I don't know where you asked in the Libreelec forum, but in libreelec mpv can be installed (there is a package)

https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/tree/master/packages/addons/addon-depends/multimedia-tools-depends/mpv-drmprime

and can even be configured as an external player for kodi

https://kodi.wiki/view/External_players#MPV

If you still need it, I can make you an ad-hoc build for your tests.

Ciao

Michele

Edited by ilmich

@ilmich Thanks a million, a small mpv binary that uses hardware to decode directly to screen from CLI is all I really need. In most posts on the libreelec forum thay said mpv is impossible to use/install/develop/whatever, so I did not ask for it at all.

If you can help me with an "ad-hoc" build of librelec that

a) does not load any interface at all or does just minimal gpu/screen initialization (optional...I do not really care if it loads
b) has a .config file to give it a static ipv4 address..somewhere or any way to give it a static ip address via cli or whatever
c) answers to a standard ssh on port 22 for controlling it (libreeelec does it)
d) has an mpv binary that uses the hardware of the rockchip GPU for h265/hevc (low-res, 8bit) decoding

I'll be forever grateful and a happier man.

Considering that

- the most disparate requests arrive in the forum
- Libreelec is basically kodi with Linux around it (like it or not)
- if something doesn't work then it's a problem

so they rightly resist accepting anything.

but my build is not official so I can do as I like (within limits).

But this is not the right place to talk about it.

Write to me, even privately, on the libreelec forum.

Ciao

Michele

Hey @Vittorio Mori

If you need only H265 decoding, try this:

Focal Legacy 4.4.194
https://users.armbian.com/jock/rk322x/armbian/stable/

@jock 's media framework

ffmpeg -decoders |grep mpp
V..... h264_rkmpp h264 (rkmpp) (codec h264)
V..... hevc_rkmpp hevc (rkmpp) (codec hevc)
V..... vp8_rkmpp vp8 (rkmpp) (codec vp8)
V..... vp9_rkmpp vp9 (rkmpp) (codec vp9)

For testing:

wget https://test-videos.co.uk/vids/bigbuckbunny/mp4/h265/1080/Big_Buck_Bunny_1080_10s_30MB.mp4

mv Big_Buck_Bunny_1080_10s_30MB.mp4 Big_Buck_Bunny_1080_10s_30MB_h265.mp4

ffmpeg -benchmark -loglevel debug -hwaccel drm -hwaccel_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -c:v hevc_rkmpp -i Big_Buck_Bunny_1080_10s_30MB_h265.mp4 -f null -

VP8, VP9 and H265 works

H264 not working..

Encoding is not working...

ffmpeg -encoders |grep mpp

vor einer Stunde schrieb Tiago Barsan:

RTL8703BS

that a little unusal chip but linux compatible

normally 8703 is part of 8xxxu standart linux libary

https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jes/linux/+/rtl8xxxu-8188eu/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtl8xxxu/rtl8xxxu.h  "line106 "

but i found also some guys that have a driver at github for building yourself

https://github.com/java-batista/rtl8723cs