CSC Armbian for RK322x TV box boards

jock

8 minutes ago, Benedito Portela said:

the buster with 6.5 kernel, work fine, but hdmi work after set led pin in 7,

Yes, it is expected that is so: you must run rk322x-config, set led-conf7 and reboot (or setup led-conf7 manually in /boot/armbianEnv.txt)

9 minutes ago, Benedito Portela said:

I did too, a legacy version with Building Armbian and work,  but HDMI only with rk322x-box.dtb from multitool, it's same kernel version!

Legacy kernel is discontinued, has some reason only for those who have old boards with NAND. You have no reason to stay with legacy kernel, it's old, insecure and unmaintained!

53 minutes ago, MattWestB said:

@jock If you have getting it in the mainline kernel updates, post one info so can updating without loosing the patched kernel and DTB.

I already opened a pull request on armbian, when it will be accepted, new kernel will be built with fixes, but I have no control on when the new kernels will be built by the armbian servers.

In https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/5762/files its LED 7 and 8 heaving the GPIO2 for enabling HDMI. 

Now one question is the GPIO2 used for both normally not used by other board ?

If yes i think its good putting it in rk322x-led-conf-default.dts then the user is getting HDMI working from beginning and dont need struggling setting it up with SSH or terminal. This is only if its OK for all other board but i think its great if its possible.

And one more thanks for great work done !!!

Edited by MattWestB

36 minutes ago, MattWestB said:

Now one question is the GPIO2 used for both normally not used by other board ?

That's the main problem for the general solution you propose. Looking into the base device tree of the kernel (rk322x.dtsi), that gpio pin (gpio 2, pin RK_PB3) is declared in use only by gigabit ethernet devices. Also looking in the original device trees of the boards there is no other trace than gigabit ethernet pin. Surely no tv box with rk322x has been produced with gigabit ethernet, so from that point of view it could be safe to enable it.

But looking at the base dtsi is not enough to declare that any board does not use that pin: as it happens on r29/r2b/h20, any other manufacturer may have decided that the pin may control something more or less important, or perhaps it is internally wired to something, tinkering with that may affect other boards. It is a remote possibility, though it can happen.

Multitool (and libreelec too) has the pin enabled by default, so we will see if it can have side effects on other boards.

@ego worker thanks for checking in. Perhaps the bootloader installed in the internal flash memory is too old. I see that u-boot is v2021.04, but current one is v2022.04.

Your version is not applying the device tree overlays at all, hence the instability and the missing HDMI when trying to run armbian.

You may try to transfer the updated bootloader from the sdcard to the internal flash with:

sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=32k skip=1 seek=1 count=32

but also double check that you have overlays=led-conf7 in /boot/armbianEnv.txt (check also on both the internal flash and sdcard; u-boot should take the one from the boot device, but bugs in u-boot are around the corner...)

@jock

with updated uboot

I can add that no armbian with kernel higher than 4.4 ever run on this board, all did crash. Wrong CPU/DDR freq ? ;)

updateduboot.txt

Edit:

Oh, it just runned after few power unplugs ...

HDMI ok, strange xD

works!.txt

lan 100Mbit also ok

[   34.223396] rk_gmac-dwmac 30200000.ethernet end0: Register MEM_TYPE_PAGE_POOL RxQ-0
[   34.288631] rk_gmac-dwmac 30200000.ethernet end0: PHY [stmmac-0:00] driver [Rockchip integrated EPHY] (irq=POLL)
[   34.297804] rk_gmac-dwmac 30200000.ethernet end0: No Safety Features support found
[   34.297885] rk_gmac-dwmac 30200000.ethernet end0: PTP not supported by HW
[   34.299134] rk_gmac-dwmac 30200000.ethernet end0: configuring for phy/rmii link mode
[  290.306195] rk_gmac-dwmac 30200000.ethernet end0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control rx/tx

Thanks ! :D

Edited by ego worker

@ego worker well, that's very curious that on your first attempt it did not work... I still see that, despite the newer v2022.04 u-boot version, the dtbo overlay was still not applied 😕

Anyway, good to see that you finally got it working!

Just wanted to thank the maintainers. I'm heading out to stay at a friend's. I wanted to bring a little computer with me. My 3229 box fits the bill. Tried my Raspberry Pi 4 first, but it did not suit: I couldn't charge my phone off of it. Not only will my box charge my phone, it will also connect via USB tether to the internet through my phone. That's 2 points up on the competition!

Hi! I've got this MXQPRO_V73 board here with an RK3229, an esp8089, 1GB of RAM, and 8GB of storage. When I insert the SD card with the Multitool, it doesn't boot. All I get is the red light, no blue light, and no HDMI output or IP connection.
I've been trying to find the UART port, but no luck so far.Any idea where it might be?

Thank you very much

20231008_194201.jpg

20231008_194245.jpg

@H1H1 Hello. That board is very well supported in armbian.

The serial port is available on those 4 pins between the two USB ports. The pin with the square frame is GND. The only problem with the serial is that it is disconnected, but can be connected with a very very small amount of soldering over two couple of pads that have been left without the component. You have to be very careful and need a steady hand to do a good job. Using some paper tape to cover a couple of pads while soldering the other couple may help you avoid damage to the board.

photo_5846047980392660654_y.jpg

@jock

Yes, thanks, that was the port. It seems like my UART adapter isn't working correctly at 1.5mbps, so I used a logic analyzer and was able to see the console.

DDR Version V1.09 20190628
In
ID:0xFFF
300MHz
LPDDR3
Bus Width=32 Col=10 Bank=8 Row=14 CS=2 Die Bus-Width=32 Size=1024MB
mach:14
OUT
Boot1 Release Time: May  4 2018 15:21:31, version: 2.49
ChipType = 0xc, 341
mmc2:cmd19,256
SdmmcInit=2 0
BootCapSize=2000
UserCapSize=7456MB
FwPartOffset=2000 , 2000
mmc0:cmd5,32
SdmmcInit=0 0
BootCapSize=0
UserCapSize=3780MB
FwPartOffset=2000 , 0
StorageInit ok = 162069
SecureMode = 0
GPT  signature is wrong
LOADER Check OK! 0x61000000, 217834
TOS    Check OK! 0x68400000, 285226
Enter Trust OS
INF [0x0] TEE-CORE:init_primary_helper:377: Initializing (1.1.0-333-gc9d95d1 #2 2018\xE5\xB9\xB4 08\xE6\x9C\x88 17\xE6\x97\xA5 \xE6\x98\x9F\xE6\x9C\x9F\xE4\xBA\x94 03:32:22 UTC arm)

INF [0x0] TEE-CORE:init_primary_helper:378: Release version: 2.0

INF [0x0] TEE-CORE:init_primary_helper:379: Next entry point address: 0x61000000

[9hjjNa:N\xDF\xC7\xDF\xC1\xD0\xC7\xDF\xC5l\xDF\xC2\xDF\xC3@NfN\xDF\xC0\xDF

@H1H1 Yes, the original firmware uses 1.5mbps uart rate, but the multitool uses 115200bps, so you should be able to see the output of the multitool if you set your uart adapter to 115200bps.

However I see some unexpected messages :

[9hjjNa:N\xDF\xC7\xDF\xC1\xD0\xC7\xDF\xC5l\xDF\xC2\xDF\xC3@NfN\xDF\xC0\xDF

at the bottom of the log. It may be garbage, or may be something the TEE (the Trust OS) does not like at all, hence the freeze with the multitool.

Could you please try 115200bps and see if you get any output?

Also the output of the original firmware boot (1.5mbps) would be interesting.

It could be that I need to craft a special multitool with a different Trust OS, but I need to know which version boots on your board

@jockIt still doesn't boot with that multitool, but it's giving a different error this time.

DDR Version V1.09 20190628
In
ID:0xFFF
300MHz
LPDDR3
Bus Width=32 Col=10 Bank=8 Row=14 CS=2 Die Bus-Width=32 Size=1024MB
mach:14
OUT
Boot1 Release Time: May  4 2018 15:21:31, version: 2.49
ChipType = 0xc, 341
No.1 FLASH ID:20 ff ff ff ff ff
mmc2:cmd19,256
SdmmcInit=2 0
BootCapSize=2000
UserCapSize=7456MB
FwPartOffset=2000 , 2000
mmc0:cmd5,32
SdmmcInit=0 0
BootCapSize=0
UserCapSize=3780MB
FwPartOffset=2000 , 0
StorageInit ok = 156398
SecureMode = 0
GPT  signature is wrong
LOADER Check OK! 0x61000000, 212161
TOS    Check OK! 0x68400000, 244752
Enter Trust OS
INF TEE-CORE:init_primary_helper:319: Initializing (1.0.1-65-gf1567d3-dev #22 Fri Mar 24 06:16:54 UTC 2017 arm)
INF TEE-CORE:init_primary_helper:320: Release version: 1.9
ERR TEE-CORE:call_initcalls:53: Initial call 0x68400180 failed
INF TEE-CORE:init_teecore:79: teecore inits done

Thank you so much for the time you dedicate to this.

@H1H1 closed source blobs like TEE/TrustOS are always a pain... try with this other multitool version: https://users.armbian.com/jock/rk322x/multitool/multitool-old-tee.img.xz, now it is version 1.0.1-72 and boots fine on my MXQ_V73 board (by the way 1.1.0-333 also was pretty ok)

I hope it works for you too, otherwise you should boot in maskrom mode, make a backup with rkdevelopertool/rkflashtool and share the original firmware image so I can extract the trust from there.

Once you have the backup, perhaps you can also erase the emmc with the tools and try booting armbian from sdcard (remember that armbian and multitool use 115200bps for serial output)

@all ilmich has told me that he have made a port driver of NAND in his libreelec build. The driver is available here https://github.com/ilmich/LibreELEC.tv/tree/libreelec-10.0/projects/Rockchip/devices/RK322x/patches/linux/default . If somebody is interested, he can try to make an image armbian with kernel 5.10.

I have forgot another issue with armbian legacy image: the board doesn't work on my old monitor 1280*1024. The monitor plug was of dvi type and I have used an adapter hdmi-dvi... Can be this the cause?

Hi @N3o, I use a HDMI to VGA adapter, and the last box mine did not worked HDMI in PC monitor too! I do compared the old box and the new and the HDMI pin 18, is +5 volts power supply, in the case, is the way power the VGA adapter, in the new box, it didn't have the +5v ! I solder a jumper to +5v from a capacitor near the chipset!  I'm technic, it's is simples to I do! Can you verify with a multimeter, if have the +5v? This  it can to be the problem!   

HDmi-pin.jpg

13 hours ago, Benedito Portela said:

Hi @N3o, I use a HDMI to VGA adapter, and the last box mine did not worked HDMI in PC monitor too! I do compared the old box and the new and the HDMI pin 18, is +5 volts power supply, in the case, is the way power the VGA adapter, in the new box, it didn't have the +5v ! I solder a jumper to +5v from a capacitor near the chipset!  I'm technic, it's is simples to I do! Can you verify with a multimeter, if have the +5v? This  it can to be the problem!   

HDmi-pin.jpg

hi, thakk You for the answer, but my old monitor have a DVI connection and not VGA connection... so the adapter that I have is from HDMI side box and dvi side monitor. 

s-l1600.jpg

12 hours ago, RaptorSDS said:

@Benedito Portela thank you for information

but n3o talk about DVI to HDMI that is a passiv , pinout adapter

DVI-I is compatible to HDMI direct  -> with and without 5V as i know

adapter is DVI-D type, so side hardware doesn't to be compatibility issue. As written by @MattWestB  seems that it's due to video mode, but I don't know if there is and how add this patch

1 hour ago, ilmich said:

Hi @n3o

please don't say things I've never said. I won't do what you wrote. You are still free to use my (hard) work because I believe in healthy sharing, which is already the basis of my work on libreelec. Without @jock and @fabiobassa these boxes would not have this level of support.

Cheers

Michele

Hi, I was thinking that @jock and @fabiobassa doesn't know for the existing of your nand driver. If You don't want that is made an armbian image with your driver no problem.