SBC OPI5 Stable version not work but ...

JamesCL

In March 2023 I bought an OPI5 and immediately went for armbian, but I had problems and reported it in the link in this POST.

in 2024: I bought the SD cards and other power supply directly from the manufacturers to see if the OPI5 works.
I downloaded and burned the latest stable version of Bookworm and the results were the same, errors and everything froze.

Before throwing OPI5 in the trash, I downloaded "nightly builds (unstable)" and installed it on an nvme and... it works without problems, I've had no problems for 13 days.

In conclusion, the SD card reader is damaged and I can only use the NVME.

HELP:  I ask you for help with the command (./compile BOARD....) to create a stable version.

Thank you very much to all.

neofetch.png

Hey,

if this works for you just fine then there is not much to worry about. Consider either freezing firmware via armbian-config or create a backup of your OS before doing major updates like kernel since those nightly images feed themselves from the beta repository.

Anyway you are free to build your own image using the build framework. Check the documentation, for standard images there isn't much to it.

https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Welcome/

In terms of kernel choice there isn't a perfect solution yet. Both legacy and vendor are, as their names imply, aged vendor bsp kernels which support most board functions but on the downside won't receive much attention in future. On the other hand there is edge which follows mainline as close as possible but is under heavy development to add missing board features and until completion, if this state is ever reached anyways, will take years at least. Basic functionality is there and its mostly fine for server tasks.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Will you have the trunk.286 image to download?
I looked for it and couldn't find it... the one I have saved is trunk.287.

Thank you so much

I tried to download it but it does not exist:  https://github.com/armbian/os/releases/download/24.5.0-trunk.286/Armbian_24.5.0-trunk.286_Orangepi5_trixie_edge_6.8.1_minimal.img.xz

If the image in question is not at Github its gone. trunk images are not archived over longer period. The amount of storage needed for this task would be just insane.

You are choosing to use the edge kernel, which is the 'bleeding edge" development work area,  it is expected to be unstable.  If you want fewer issues you shouldn't be using edge.

It happens that my SBC arrived with "details", a defective sdcard reader and the stable versions of armbian do not work... I had the sbc (opi5) lying in a corner... until one day I read about the "trunk" versions ..I installed one and it worked for several hours...days...with no problems. So... since that day I only use "trunk" versions. That's the story of my first SBC IPO.

With the stable version with an "apt update" my OPI5 crashes.

You missed my point.  You choose the edge kernel version of the trunk versions.  There are also vendor kernel versions. The vendor kernel is going to be more stable than the edge kernel.