6.1.43 Jammy don't boot on Orange Pi 5b

Go to solution Solved by Igor,

I burned the .img file via RkDevTool to eMMC according to the manual, however when I try to upload I get the following error:

"Gave up waiting for root file system device. Common problems: 

- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)

- Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)

- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)

ALERT! UUID=cff1be9d-0892... does not exist. Dropping to a shell!"

blkid says:

/dev/mmcblk1p1: PARTUUID="d0bc2961-01"

fsck /dev/mmcblk1p1 says:

error 2: no such file or directory

cat /proc/cmdline says:

root=cff1be9d-0892... rootwait rootfstype=ext4 splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles console=ttyS2,1500000 console=tty1 consoleblank=0 loglevel=1 ubootpart=367002d3-1140... usb-storage.quirks= cgroup_enable=cupset cgroup_memory=1 cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1

Obviously I should replace "UUID=cff1be9d-0892..." with "d0bc2961-01", but how do I do it from inside the initramfs and which file needs to be edited? 

1 hour ago, vrzdrb said:

I burned the .img file via RkDevTool to eMMC according to the manual,

Let's start with basic information.  What build are you using?  What manual are you following?  Did you first try running from an SD card?

6 минут назад, SteeMan сказал:

What build are you using?

Armbian Jammy 6.1.43 KDE Neon stable from 12.03.2024

I tried downloading both from a torrent and from a URL, the result does not change

What manual are you following?

Official Orange Pi user manual from Orange Pi site, of course

Did you first try running from an SD card

I have no way to try with an SD card, we are not considering this option

15 minutes ago, vrzdrb said:

In most cases, Armbian has full control over hardware. We don't need and avoid closed source manufacturer flashing tools. Where this is not possible (example), we recommend using 3rd party manual.

12 minutes ago, vrzdrb said:

I have no way to try with an SD card, we are not considering this option

End users doesn't need this feature to work and RKflashtool should just work, but its not officially supported. Consider (Gold) professional assistance in case you expect someone will fix bugs in your software. Or contact Orangepi to fix this for you.

1 hour ago, vrzdrb said:

You are using Orange Pi provided doc, but using Armbian and you expect the one to work with the other?

Either use Armbian provided docs or use Orange Pi provided builds.  Mixing the two is going to be a problem.

I will advise that Orange Pi is not very well supported by Armbian due to the manufacturers unwillingness to work with Armbian.

You are using Orange Pi provided doc, but using Armbian and you expect the one to work with the other?

Yes, I expect it. Because there is no information that you need to flash the image in any other way on its download page. If this is so obvious, be kind enough to write about it in plain text, as was done on the page for Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro, and not limit yourself to a FAQ of one and a half lines, where there are also no references to any Armbian documentation regarding Orange Pi. Now for the first time I hear that it even exists.

1.png

22 minutes ago, vrzdrb said:

Yes, I expect it.

You expect a lot for free.  This is open source, please submit a PR for improvements.  The level of your involvement is what makes open source work or not work.  Anyone around here would agree our doc is poor.

3 hours ago, vrzdrb said:

be kind enough to write about it in plain text

You are using a lot of our work also if you use images for Orangepi 5 with different name, from different DJs and / or even official ones. Official Debian and Ubuntu images are shameless copy of Armbian, assembled with old tools and slightly different - some features will work better, some not. As they are never upgraded, they never breaks.

We work together with Joshua-Riek on kernel and other things. Images should behave more or less the same, but as they were not released at the same time, diff exists. If your problem is fixed in our images, nobody will check this for you because this is not a commercial product and you are not a customer - there are daily automated builds at the download page. Try them.

We can't spoil you with writing fancy manual and make better support as we will gain nothing. Competitors (Orangepi and copycats) are not copy pasting code we made (remember this is open source world), they also copy pasting instructions we make. Ask Orangepi to cover those costs (they will ofc not) or you cover them. Problem is that for 99% of projects costs we have to find elsewhere (most people have jobs somewhere) or do it for free (slave work when abuse is used. And this exists in large scale). Donations only cover 0.5% ... Asking for more, from end user perspective, is rude. Mitigating your debt first? Every donation counts.

1 hour ago, vrzdrb said:

We can assume that the problem has been solved.

Complex software without active maintaining will start to fall apart, but people that made money with you will be long gone by then. Regressions will happen and again we will be the one behind ... 

42 минуты назад, Igor сказал:

fancy manual

You don't understand what I'm talking about.

I understand perfectly well what open source is, I have been dealing with it for 14 years.  Including, sometimes I do something of my own.  But if my product is not intended to be used according to the instructions for what it is based on, I write about it in big red letters so that people do not waste time on actions that are not designed for results.  Is Orange Pi shamelessly stealing from Armbian? Apparently, they still came up with the phrase “the flashing manual is intended only for our images”, which helps save time without making unnecessary mistakes. And they have (not so fancy but) manual, by the way.

What I am asking from you is not some kind of feat, or a "fancy manual", or something for which you need to involve PR.  We are talking about the basic required minimum: if you want to attract people to your project, it must be attractive.  At a minimum, attract by accessibility of use.

It should at least run.

If it not designed to be run using certain methods, (RkDevTool for example) just write one sentence about it right above the download link. If you suddenly have some kind of documentation, attach a link to it there. There's nothing complicated about it, no one forces you to write archwiki for each image.

You can’t just do it "somehow", post it without the simplest explanation and justify it by saying that it’s open source. All Linux is open-source, and 99% of them either just work, or without a forum it’s clear how to make them work.

Because it's just minimum.

10 minutes ago, vrzdrb said:

so that people do not waste time

If you care so much about people not wasting time, documentation is open source, invest your time https://github.com/armbian/documentation and stop wasting my time. Our project is saving all of you years, not just months. And you still don't get it and want more and more. Remember that not you, not the one that generates problem contributes virtually nothing. Buy a PC, which works well with our product.

15 минут назад, Igor сказал:

more and more

Writing one sentence “our image is intended only for installation from SD” is not “more and more”.  This doesn't require a second or third job, or month or years.  Besides, being an open-source developer is your conscious choice, so why have you already repeated a hundred times that you have nothing to gain from it?  If human impact is so important to you, do something that will bring it, instead of blaming me for something.

Open source is a calling, not an excuse.

31 minutes ago, vrzdrb said:

Writing one sentence “our image is intended only for installation from SD” is not “more and more”

I am not your personal assistance. Orangepi (mainly as they are chepest) customers are demanding thousands of fixes, changes and improvements. Personally I can't answer to this and other thousands of issues that are found in code / text. I would love to but its impossible even as a team and I have to run the project and sometimes I chat on forums. Mainly for fun and providing hints. I can't be your partner in resolving your (clearly business) problem. I would love to, but Orangepi treat as not good and we treat their clients accordingly. Use other board and you will get help. Isn't that stupid? Yes, but this is one of ways we fight abuse that is targeted toward open source developers. In this segment of open source, there are things you might never experienced with your work in open source. Isn't it better to be open for other perspectives? I believe in yours.

Perhaps this will give you a picture on resources you are addressing? You are not the only one that is requesting support. Our resources are 1/1000 of needed. We are developers, we maintain serious and complex system and we don't have much time for individual problems. Regardless if you think we should be more attractive. We can be, but then we have to kill R&D. Which is source of sorrow, frustration and costs.

Why do you even try to be accepted over the line? And why you think this problem is important enough to be even discussed? Why don't you resolve a problem you find? And on and on. I told you already that we only loose if we fix a bug. We have competitors, that invest nothing, while they can provide the same. In order to catch them, we have to invest less and less. And be more attractive at the same time, agree with that. This means we should invest into sales a lot more, where again you know what has to suffer.

being an open-source developer is your conscious choice

Absolutely. We love that, me included. But I have to run this development on totally different level. If you would set our priorities, we would already be long dead. Imagine users, who in big majority have no clue about how much time some problem is needed, they don't care how many problems are already been worked on, what is team capacity, and on and on.

Remember also that, at the end, support goes under "best effort" principle. If serious and life important problems are not done, your will wait. A week, month, year ... never. This is how it goes and this won't be changed.

Open source is a calling, not an excuse.

Not sure what you mean by that, but open source is like freedom.

• Solution
1 hour ago, vrzdrb said:

Writing one sentence “our image is intended only for installation from SD” is

Each code change represent danger that some feature out of tens of thousands will stop working. One bug is fixed, something else can and do break down ... Nobody knows when this happens as nobody can't test all features. Testing is expensive and we run this - for public good service - mainly with our private money. Since information does not exists, we will not be keeping list of working / not working features for you. Especially not if this require additional expensive manual work.

I told you to verify with latest image from development as this might just work. You didn't and there is little we can do from here.

If you didn't know, we provide users results of automated testing, which is sadly primitive and can't test complex functions as in this case, but it will stay that way as we have not enough support/interest from anyone (but everyone would like to have this info) If you need better info that this
https://github.com/armbian/os?tab=readme-ov-file#latest-smoke-tests-results

apply here:

and start working for us as a full time volunteer. I know you will not, but this request is on same level as yours.

So far, in one year, we didn't get anyone.