Armbian doesnt seem to see sata harddrives.

Go to solution Solved by Werner,

I installed Debian 12 (Bookworm)XFCE from the official Armbian website onto the NVME SSD of the board. Everything works fine except the 4 hard drives that are connected to boards SATA connectors. They do appear and work when i boot into the Debian provided by Radxa, so I know hardware isn't an issue. 

I think that they also worked during the very first boot of the system but after ``` apt update  && apt upgrade ``` and reboot, they stop working.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

```

rock-5-itx:~$ lsblk
NAME         MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
mtdblock0     31:0    0    16M  0 disk
mmcblk0      179:0    0   7.3G  0 disk
mmcblk0boot0 179:32   0     4M  1 disk
mmcblk0boot1 179:64   0     4M  1 disk
zram0        252:0    0  11.6G  0 disk [SWAP]
zram1        252:1    0    50M  0 disk /var/log
zram2        252:2    0     0B  0 disk
nvme0n1      259:0    0 476.9G  0 disk
└─nvme0n1p1  259:1    0 472.1G  0 part /var/log.hdd
                                       /

```

https://paste.armbian.com/qiwimusofo

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

11 hours ago, DontMindMe said:

except the 4 hard drives that are connected to boards SATA connectors.

Known problem.
https://armbian.atlassian.net/issues/AR-2434

It is probably solvable with enabling correct overlay. I can see we don't have a dedicated for ITX board, but try others. @amazingfate Should we put this into main DT instead so its just enabled by default?

3 minutes ago, amazingfate said:

Sometimes PCIE interface used by the 4 port sata is not detected by 6.1 kernel.

Oh. I didn't looked into the code ...

We have a few of patches for previous generation in order to work (better), but on mainline:
https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/6057

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/patch/kernel/archive/rockchip64-6.6/rk3399-rp64-pcie-Reimplement-rockchip-PCIe-bus-scan-delay.patch

@DontMindMeYou can use the old 5.10 kernel. That works without a problem. If you want to build your own replace branch vendor with legacy.
Example :

./compile.sh build BOARD=rock-5-itx BRANCH=legacy BUILD_DESKTOP=no BUILD_MINIMAL=no EXPERT=yes KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no RELEASE=jammy

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for picking up on this issue.

@NicoDI tried changing the Kernel to 5.10 in the ``armbian-config``` but that did not boot so I burned the image again.

I will try to compile it using the doker and report back.

@Igor How would I use the doker to build an image with those patches? Do I need to include those changes explicit after puling the Armbian repository?

Cheers,

David

No, pathches will not apply for this kernel. That is just an idea. Path suggested by Nico might work. But that kernel is old ... With other limitations.

Wrote on mobile

On 8/6/2024 at 12:15 PM, NicoD said:

./compile.sh build BOARD=rock-5-itx BRANCH=legacy BUILD_DESKTOP=no BUILD_MINIMAL=no EXPERT=yes KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no RELEASE=jammy

I tried it but I got this error:

E: Packages were downgraded and -y was used without --allow-downgrades.
[🐳|💥] Error context msg [ Installation of /root/base-files_24.5.1-12ubuntu4.6-jammy_arm64__1-jammy-1armbian1-Bbba0-U12ubuntu4.6-R55fa.deb failed rock-5-itx jammy no rk35xx ]

Here the complete log:

Spoiler

Installing: /armbian/output/debs/fake-ubuntu-advantage-tools_24.5.1_all__1-Bfcde-R448a.deb [ fake-ubuntu-advantage-tools_24.5.1_all__1-Bfcde-R448a.deb ]

[🐳|🔨]   '/armbian/output/debs/fake-ubuntu-advantage-tools_24.5.1_all__1-Bfcde-R448a.deb' -> '/armbian/.tmp/rootfs-B5BB56D9-9D4B-43FA-B76C-569E09E6E0B8/root/fake-ubuntu-advantage-tools_24.5.1_all__1-Bfcde-R448a.deb'

[🐳|🔨]   mkdir: created directory '/armbian/.tmp/rootfs-B5BB56D9-9D4B-43FA-B76C-569E09E6E0B8/var/lib/apt/lists'

[🐳|🔨]   Selecting previously unselected package fake-ubuntu-advantage-tools.

[🐳|🔨]   (Reading database ... 30480 files and directories currently installed.)

[🐳|🔨]   Preparing to unpack .../fake-ubuntu-advantage-tools_24.5.1_all__1-Bfcde-R448a.deb ...

[🐳|🔨]   Unpacking fake-ubuntu-advantage-tools (24.5.1) ...

[🐳|🔨]   Setting up fake-ubuntu-advantage-tools (24.5.1) ...

[🐳|🌿] Installing: /armbian/output/debs/jammy/base-files_24.5.1-12ubuntu4.6-jammy_arm64__1-jammy-1armbian1-Bbba0-U12ubuntu4.6-R55fa.deb [ base-files_24.5.1-12ubuntu4.6-jammy_arm64__1-jammy-1armbian1-Bbba0-U12ubuntu4.6-R55fa.deb ]

[🐳|🔨]   '/armbian/output/debs/jammy/base-files_24.5.1-12ubuntu4.6-jammy_arm64__1-jammy-1armbian1-Bbba0-U12ubuntu4.6-R55fa.deb' -> '/armbian/.tmp/rootfs-B5BB56D9-9D4B-43FA-B76C-569E09E6E0B8/root/base-files_24.5.1-12ubuntu4.6-jammy_arm64__1-jammy-1armbian1-Bbba0-U12ubuntu4.6-R55fa.deb'

[🐳|🔨]   E: Packages were downgraded and -y was used without --allow-downgrades.

[🐳|💥] Error context msg [ Installation of /root/base-files_24.5.1-12ubuntu4.6-jammy_arm64__1-jammy-1armbian1-Bbba0-U12ubuntu4.6-R55fa.deb failed rock-5-itx jammy no rk35xx ]

[🐳|💥] Error 1 occurred in main shell [ at /armbian/lib/functions/rootfs/apt-install.sh:106

install_deb_chroot() --> lib/functions/rootfs/apt-install.sh:106

install_artifact_deb_chroot() --> lib/functions/rootfs/apt-install.sh:121

install_distribution_specific() --> lib/functions/rootfs/distro-specific.sh:44

do_with_logging() --> lib/functions/logging/section-logging.sh:81

build_rootfs_and_image() --> lib/functions/main/rootfs-image.sh:27

full_build_packages_rootfs_and_image() --> lib/functions/main/default-build.sh:36

do_with_default_build() --> lib/functions/main/default-build.sh:42

cli_standard_build_run() --> lib/functions/cli/cli-build.sh:25

armbian_cli_run_command() --> lib/functions/cli/utils-cli.sh:136

cli_entrypoint() --> lib/functions/cli/entrypoint.sh:176

main() --> compile.sh:50

]

[🐳|💥] Cleaning up [ please wait for cleanups to finish ]

[🐳|🌿] Unmounting recursively [ SDCARD - be patient ]

[🐳|🌿] Unmounting recursively [ MOUNT - be patient ]

[🐳|🌿] ANSI log file built; inspect it by running: [ less -RS output/logs/log-build-B5BB56D9-9D4B-43FA-B76C-569E09E6E0B8.log.ans ]

[🐳|🌿] Share log manually (or SHARE_LOG=yes): [ curl --data-binary @output/logs/log-build-B5BB56D9-9D4B-43FA-B76C-569E09E6E0B8.log.ans https://paste.armbian.com/log ]

[🍏|💥] -------------Docker run failed after 946s-------------------------- [ 🐳 failed ]

[🍏|🌱] Cleaning up [ please wait for cleanups to finish ]

Do you have any tips or suggestions that I could try?

Thank you!

Cheers!

• Solution

Logs excerpts are usually useless. Provide logs as suggested from the build output:

[🐳|🌿] Share log manually (or SHARE_LOG=yes): [ curl --data-binary @output/logs/log-build-B5BB56D9-9D4B-43FA-B76C-569E09E6E0B8.log.ans https://paste.armbian.com/log ]

Try to build from main instread (I assume you tried 24.05 branch)

So summary for now:

The system works fine and the hard drives are being detected and mount fine.

I would want to upgrade the Kernels at some point to use be update but for now this works OK.

Originally i was planning to run Yunohost but sticking with https://syncthing.net/ for now.

One additional question (I realize I might need to open a new thread for this.)

How can I use the ATX Pins on the board, i.e. the power button, reset button etc.

Thank y'all for your help! much appreciated.

9 hours ago, DontMindMe said:

How can I use the ATX Pins on the board, i.e. the power button, reset button etc.

No idea if these are even exposed. Anyway check the datasheet for the board. I guess there is some schematic for it around on the web.

Hi, I have the same issue with 3 SATA drivers, sometimes it doesn't see any of SATA disks, sometimes it does. Kernel 6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx.

I've tried several 12 V power suply, no effect. So I've tried ATX suply also no effect. Still same issue.

Board with 24 GB RAM.

Hi, I am also affected by this issue. What are the chances that the fix will get into the stable release update? I am not feeling comfortable downgrading the kernel because it was mentioned that it can break the boot and I can't afford any downtime on my machine.

Thanks!