UAS + mainline kernel + coherent-pool memory size

Issue identified by Hardkernel folks with ODROID XU4 and 4.9 kernel: 'When a bunch of sequential data(inode) is being sent to the UAS driver, the UAS driver is increasing the DMA block memory allocation dynamically for more efficient ring-buffer management. But the Kernel coherent-pool memory size was limited at 256KB by default and it was not sufficient for the UAS drivers.'

I added this as a temporary workaround to my OMV installation routine but would like to see this fixed on normal installations and also all affected boards too. I've to admit that I neither know how to determine coherent-pool memory size nor what potential downsides of increasing this are. Also no idea how to apply a fix (kernel patch or cmdline modification?)

3 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

Also no idea how to apply a fix (kernel patch or cmdline modification?)

Looks like the default value is set in arch/arm/mm/dma-mapping.c

#define DEFAULT_DMA_COHERENT_POOL_SIZE	SZ_256K

so it can be patched instead of altering the kernel command line

This is for 32-bit arm, 64-bit has the same default in arch/arm64/mm/dma-mapping.c

8 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

dma-mapping.c

So first step could be someone having all of our kernels checked out ( @Igor maybe? ;) ) doing a quick

find $sources -name dma-mapping.c | while read ; do grep DEFAULT_DMA_COHERENT_POOL_SIZE "$REPLY" ; done

On 28. 7. 2017 at 5:32 PM, tkaiser said:

So first step could be someone having all of our kernels checked out

What can go wrong if we simply put this:

coherent_pool=4M

there?

27 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

A kernel patch is relatively easy to add, easy to remove and the next kernel update will include the new coherent pool size.

OMG, I totally forgot that we need one patch per kernel tree. So I would propose everyone of us touching UAS capable kernels simply adds the necessary increase from 256K to 1MB per kernel when changing anything the next days/weeks.

2 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

So how would you define a "uas capable kernel"?

All next and dev kernels. Wrt default kernels my believe is we should look starting with 4.4.

Ok, let's look in detail: Stricken through all platforms where UAS isn't working:

linux-cubox-default.config
linux-meson-default.config
linux-meson64-default.config
linux-mvebu-default.config
linux-mvebu64-default.config
linux-odroidc1-default.config
linux-odroidc2-default.config
linux-odroidxu4-default.config
linux-pine64-default.config
linux-rda8810-default.config
linux-rk3328-default.config
linux-rockchip-default.config
linux-s500-default.config
linux-sun4i-default.config
linux-sun5i-default.config
linux-sun7i-default.config
linux-sun8i-default.config

linux-udoo-default.config
linux-udoo-neo-default.config

I think we don't need to care about rda8810 and s500? Last time I tested with i.MX6 platforms UAS was not available but that needs to be checked. With Armada 38x also no UAS but that needs to be checked too (though I think there aren't that many reasons to maintain default kernel for Clearfogs anyway).

I will check later with EspressoBin. And someone else has to test with MiQi/Tinkerboard.

Is there an indication that SZ_1M is enough? Synolgoy: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=109025  It looks like 1024k was too small for DVB transport in their case, I find this of interest as I can see an OMV setup with TV tuner being a popular use case (personally biased).  I can patch it, although determining if it worked is another matter.  I can not, for what it's worth, come up with any downside to increasing it, unless of course it cuts too much into available RAM.