[OPiOne] No led except eth no ip adress

psygnosis

Hi all, I'm new here.

Since I bought my OPi One I didn't try any of the official images, but only armbian legacy kernel. The first OPi one I thought it was broken, no led on the board only the eth ones, nothing happend on the screen (homemade power cable with 1.4 plug and a xiaomi ac power adapter 5V 2A almost correctly given, tested with a multimeter).
The image was burned on a 4gb kingston micro sd card with etcher formatted with sd formatter.

So I bought another one, and I have the same identical issue.

So, I started to study and I found out that I could connect to the OPi through SSH. So it what I tried to do all the night.
Again image burned with etcher, leave the OPi on all the night (because I've read that at boot armbian create a partition before activate the ssh), but with the ETH leds on, on the router setting page I can't find the Opi IP, and the DHCP server is on.
The ethernet cable works, 'cause I've connected it on my main pc through the router and it works.
Now, I have to put both the OPi One in the garbage? Or there is some try that I could do?
thank you in advance you are my last hope to understand this board.

Only 'ETH leds on' is a not so uncommon behaviour when SD-Card is not there or not recognized.

6 hours ago, psygnosis said:

4gb kingston micro sd card 

4gb? Seems that you use a really outdated SD-Card, did you tested it with an other one? As @martinayotte suggested, best way to debug is an USB-TTL. But I would additionally keep an eye on your SD-Card.

5 hours ago, chwe said:

Only 'ETH leds on' is a not so uncommon behaviour when SD-Card is not there or not recognized.

4gb? Seems that you use a really outdated SD-Card, did you tested it with an other one? As @martinayotte suggested, best way to debug is an USB-TTL. But I would additionally keep an eye on your SD-Card.

6 hours ago, martinayotte said:

You should get equipped with a USB-TTL Serial dongle and attach it to the serial debug port of the OPiOne, you will then see all the logs at boot time and we will be able to figure out with you.

I'm trying in this moment to run an armbian image, always burned with etcher on a 16GB microsd kingston. and the result it's the same :( i really thing these two board are broken :( is there something else I could try?

Just a quick question for you... Are you sure you downloaded the correct image (for OPI One)? When I got my first one it took me a couple of days untill I realized I had downloaded for a completely wrong board.. Bought a new power supply and borrowed my schools variable one and tried before I found out xD

As was said 4gb might be too small/(slow/old) (but if it's rated at 16gb after I use etcher also uses about 2-4gb, don't remember atm, when booted up the rest is available)... I use 8gb-16gb cards on my OPI's ranging from C8 to U1 with C8,C10's being cheap ones from BG/Ali... I had one card that was defect, supposedly 32gb but only showed 7.4 on my computer, I tried to use it for armbian on a OPILite but no leds came on. It IS possible you have some small defect on the card I guess? If you are sure you have the correct image, try another SD card I would say.

7 hours ago, psygnosis said:

is there something else I could try?

• Test your SD card  (german page, but program is in english too)
  • Buy a reliable SD-Card (getting started guide helps)
  • trust @martinayotte, because he knows it much better than me :P 

If you wanna avoid all these 'unreliable/slow SD-Card&powersource-fails' I recommend the Orange Pi Pc Plus. You get it with a 3amps barrel plug powersource for ~30$ and has 8gb fast eMMC soldered on it (ok, you need a reliable SD-Card to burn armbian on its eMMC first, but it hasn't to be that fast).

I've had the same symptoms, no power led, both ethernet leds turned on, no flashing or any signs of life at all. I was under the impression I had bricked or trashed my OP1 just outside warranty until I figured out the bootloader got wiped due to a kernel update.

Try and see if ubuntu_lxde_desktop_For_OrangePi_One from http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/ works for you (scroll down and select "(Orange Pi One)Ubuntu LXDE Desktop" updated:2016-12-12).

I'm aware this doesn't solve your current issue with armbian, but it should prove your device isn't defective.

HTH

11 hours ago, Pantsonfi$#% said:

I've had the same symptoms, no power led, both ethernet leds turned on, no flashing or any signs of life at all. I was under the impression I had bricked or trashed my OP1 just outside warranty until I figured out the bootloader got wiped due to a kernel update.

Try and see if ubuntu_lxde_desktop_For_OrangePi_One from http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/ works for you (scroll down and select "(Orange Pi One)Ubuntu LXDE Desktop" updated:2016-12-12).

I'm aware this doesn't solve your current issue with armbian, but it should prove your device isn't defective.

HTH

I will try this afternoon. ty.
But can you explain me this problem with the bootloader wiped? the bootloader isn't installed on the sd card? OP1 for what I know doen't have a nand where the bootloader is installed.

I sure can. I've installed Arch Linux (ALARM) even though the OP1 isn't officially supported. The steps in regard to U-Boot bootloader demonstrated how to install it on a SD-card and the wiki on https://github.com/linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi/wiki mentions how U-Boot with SPL enabled supports booting bare metal.

At the time I didn't know what had caused the device to become non-functional though later I realized that as a result of Arch Linux not supporting OP1 certain triggers were not in place while updating the kernel resulting in a non-functional device.

HTH

ok guy here's my last test:
1. lubuntu from the opi1 official image tested with xiaomi 5v/2A and apple ipad 5v/2.1A no luck
2. burn android os official opi1 (with phoneix card) with both power adapter and no luck again (I cound'tr try with the usb otg power this time)
i see some youtube videos and others when boot first time armbian or anyting, they have a red led on the board that on my board is dead :(
I think these two boards are officially dead.
I don't think there is something I could do, also if I check with the UART USB what I could do?

With a USB-TTL Serial dongle, you will at least see if it start booting, first the U-Boot, and than the Linux Kernel.

Looking at the log, we can figure out what is going wrong, even if no display, no network, the serial should bring you at a login prompt, except it is crashing.

A usb-ttl is always good to have if you work with SBCs. I would move to a more goal oriented than random approach. ;) Burning various images to your SD card and try them is IMO useless it doesn't give you any information.  If you have a appropriate setup (SD-Card & powering) and your SBC isn't defective, there's no reason why armbian should not boot with legacy image. Otherwise we would see a lot of posts that armbian isn't working with current legacy image. Bringing more variables into the game doesn't help you. So let's start to eliminate as much useless variables as possible.  

2 hours ago, psygnosis said:

(I cound'tr try with the usb otg power this time)

To my knowledge, the opi one couldn't be powered through micro USB (I only own zeros and PC+ from orange, so I could be wrong).  But it has a nice barrel plug to feed it and it's there for a reason.  :)

As @martinayotte mentioned, with an USB-TTL you see immediately if something boots or not. If it hangs during boot and where (it should be possible with an 3.3V arduino too but not if logic level is 5V, this would harm your pi one). As long as you don't own a usb-ttl (you get them for a few bucks from your prefered online shop), I would:

• check if your barrel plug is wired correctly (inner should be VCC outer GND).
  • check your SD-Card with F3 or H2test

Getting two times a defective SBCs, seems a little bit uncommon to me. And before waiting weeks for the next one I would make sure that there aren't any other faults (mostly SD-Card xor power supply).

(it should be possible with an 3.3V arduino too but not if logic level is 5V, this would harm your pi one)

sorry for necroposting I have an Arduino now, but the usb-ttl cable was lost somewhere between china and europe :( can I try something using arduino?