[Solved] How to have bluetooth working on OrangePi PC+ on ubuntu desktop legacy ?

Ucino

Hello,

I'm trying to have the onboard bluetooth working with OrangePi PC+ (to evaluate OPPC+ to deploy it in school with open source OS and software cf. https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/4929-which-card-choose-to-deploy-an-educational-open-source-os-in-schools/&tab=comments#comment-40408 ).

I'm using the ubuntu desktop legacy version that we can download on https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-pc-plus/

Here is the result of armbianmonitor -u : http://sprunge.us/WeEO

If I'm running bluetooth in command line I have this problem :

La connexion à BlueZ a échoué (The connexion to BlueZ failed) 

Le démon Bluez n'est pas actif, blueman-manager ne peut pas continuer. (The BlueZ demon is not active, blueman-manager cannot follow).
Cela signifie probablement qu'aucun adaptateur Bluetooth n'a été détecté ou que le démon Bluetooth n'a pas été démarré. (This probably mean that there is no bluetooth adapter or bluetooth demon has not started - sorry for my bad translation :) )

And in the terminal we have :

blueman-manager 

** (blueman-manager:4637): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
_________
Load (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/blueman/main/PluginManager.py:60)
['PulseAudioProfile', 'Services'] 
_________
__load_plugin (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/blueman/main/PluginManager.py:133)
loading <class 'blueman.plugins.manager.Services.Services'> 
_________
__load_plugin (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/blueman/main/PluginManager.py:133)
loading <class 'blueman.plugins.manager.PulseAudioProfile.PulseAudioProfile'> 
_________
pa_context_event (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/blueman/main/PulseAudioUtils.py:341)
blueman-manager version 2.0.4 starting
_________
pa_context_event (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/blueman/main/PulseAudioUtils.py:341)
_________
on_bluez_name_owner_changed (/usr/bin/blueman-manager:96)
org.bluez owner changed to   
_________
_________
_________
on_pa_ready (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/blueman/plugins/manager/PulseAudioProfile.py:29)
connected 
_________
<lambda> (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/blueman/main/PulseAudioUtils.py:353)

Reading this french webpage about bluetooth problem on debian http://debian-facile.org/doc:systeme:bluetooth I tried this command lines :

service bluetooth status
 bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
Condition: start condition failed at jeu. 2017-10-05 23:46:26 CEST; 13min ago
           ConditionPathIsDirectory=/sys/class/bluetooth was not met
     Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)

and sudo service bluetooth start

and after an other time :

service bluetooth status

● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
Condition: start condition failed at ven. 2017-10-06 00:01:17 CEST; 5s ago
           ConditionPathIsDirectory=/sys/class/bluetooth was not met
     Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)

So it seems that the demon BlueZ doesn"t want to start, no ?

Is there anybody that have an idea on how to start BlueZ or how can I have the bluetooh working on Orange PiPC with legacy ?

Please note that I have made an upgrade after installing armbian ubuntu desktop, I don't know if this can explain this.

Thanks for your reply :)

What if you switch to beta repository, conduct an update and try to connect to BT device withing armbian-config (under networking)? What kind of BT dongle do you have? I'll check later if things are broken on our side.

I can confirm that it doesn't work for me either. I have to check where is the problem - on our side or upstream. It used to work fine and image from download section should also work fine.

3 hours ago, Igor said:

What if you switch to beta repository, conduct an update and try to connect to BT device withing armbian-config (under networking)?

Thanks for your reply.

Is it to do this :  run armbian-config > Switch (and not nightly) > Switching to linux-image-dev-sun8i ?

or this ? : run armbian-config > Nightly

3 hours ago, Igor said:

What kind of BT dongle do you have?

This is the on board OPPC+, I'm not using an USB dongle. Rooooo; ok i was searching what was the on board bluetooth, there isn't ! I'm so sorry !!! Do you recommend if it's exist, an open hardware Bluetooth Dongle that run nice with armbian ? If there isn't open hardware dongle bluetooth, what non open hardware is recommended ? Thanks, and I'm sorry and confused for this error :/ 

5 minutes ago, Ucino said:

Bluetooth Dongle that run nice with armbian ? If there isn't open hardware dongle bluetooth, what non open hardware is recommended ? Thanks, and I'm sorry and confused for this error :/ 

Ok there is thread about this : https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/2983-usb-bluetooth-dongle-for-orange-pi-lite-zero/

and https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/3455-which-bt-dongle-for-orangepi-lite/

tkaiser and Igor thanks for your replies, the problem is solved :)

6 minutes ago, Ucino said:

an open hardware Bluetooth Dongle that run nice with armbian ?

Open hardware won't exists since Bluetooth is a closed protocol. Check download page. On the bottom, there are links to tested equipment.