4 4
Tido

Le Potato - writing armbian to eMMC

6 hours ago, WZ9V said:

I was hoping someone would say

on page 2 of this thread here I pretty much explain how I did it with Balbes armbian. I was a smooth ride.

I went back and looked through page 2, not sure I’m daring enough to try all that stuff I don’t understand yet.  It seems the next update will have a working utility so I’ll use the SD for now and work on porting the utilities to port the hub management so I can do a proper shutdown in the Pi-Top.

Has the eMMC issues been worked out on this board yet? Can I install to SDCARD and then push it to eMMC using arbian-config or is 'page 2' still the only option? Thanx!

On 2/7/2019 at 5:59 PM, Cornelius said:

Has the eMMC issues been worked out on this board yet? Can I install to SDCARD and then push it to eMMC using arbian-config or is 'page 2' still the only option? Thanx!

So i just went through this experience last night, and banged my head against the wall constantly because I'm too stubborn to follow directions.

the stupid preinstall android on the emmc is really annoying.. i wish theyd ship it bank

What I should have done... the bables way

1. make a 1 gig Fat32 sd or usb card... copy the 2 magic files he has for "multiboot"... apply them as an android update

2. boot from one of bables armbian builds

3. profit?

what i did:

1.  made a partial mess of the emmc by typing commands in u-boot... but not enough to clean off u-boot

2. installed the bables multiboot

3. booted from babbles armbian

4. DD'd the emmc from babbles armbian

5. booted a regualr frelshly build armbian SD and then ran in the install script.

1 hour ago, lanefu said:

the stupid preinstall android on the emmc is really annoying.. i wish theyd ship it bank

Agreed.  I'd forgotten that, for standard Armbian nand-sata-install works, but you have to boot Armbian first to get that far.  I wasn't able to brick it on purpose using the USB burning tool because it's built not to allow it. (Of all the things for them to do right...)

Neil finished u-boot UMS support for us. So, soon you will be able to flash the eMMC by exposing it as a mass storage device to your PC.